Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Where Do You Get News?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Where Do You Get News?

Unread postby Pops » Fri 25 Nov 2016, 11:10:16

Generally, do you try to confirm stuff you read, pretty well trust your favorite source, take everything with a grain of salt, or just listen to your own big brain?

My first Bookmark is Google news because the headlines read fast. (Turn off history if you don't want to be siloed.)
Or CNN, again it scans fast and is quick (tho sloppy) on breaking news
third is USA Today, seems it is as moderate as any but not so easy to scan
Then if I'm bored and need some liberal outrage, WaPo & Guardian, (I pay for these)

I've done most of the un-social media outlets and I think they are the bane of civilization (even this addicting site) not only is siloing part of the business model, so is fake news.

Our house is in a little draw with 0 tv & radio reception and worse internet options than in the Ozarks, so we are on cable for the first time since dinosaurs died out. It is the downfall of the western world!

So where do you get yours?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Where Do You Get News?

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Nov 2016, 12:01:02

I get mine from a wide range of sources, though I admit a bias towards foreign news sources specifically BBC, ABC(Australia), CBC(Canada), SkyNews(UK)and RT(Russia) along with a scatter shot of major American news source. I prefer the english language foreign sources because if you listen to any of the CNN/MSNBC/ABC/NBC/CBS/FNN they tend to use the exact same talking points as if they are all reading from the same pre-distributed script. I also occasionally look at Huffington Post and Breitbart to get the print versions of the extremes along with some New York Times, Washington Post, Toledo Blade, Detroit Free Press and Alaska Daily News. Some of that is for regional news some is to see how wide spread a news item is. When I first started doing a wide basket back in the late 1990's I was surprised to discover how few major events in Detroit get reported outside of Michigan. I now range wide to try and get outside the bubble effect.

Mostly I go to different sources and scan the headlines, I don't have either the time or desire to read every word but if a headline gets my attention I will read the story attached to it. That was how I originally discovered how repetitive the major media sources have become.

Oh and if I travel for any reason I grab the USA Today and sometimes the local paper wherever I am to scan over breakfast. I may just be getting curmudgeonly but IMO the quality of media in at least this part of the USA has steeply declined over the last 30 years or so. At one time if you watched the major networks they each had their own independent take on the events of the day, but now they are cookie cutter reflections of one another.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 25 Nov 2016, 22:25:06

Unfortunately I get most of it here!

I just find the news sources so piss poor that i don't bother much. I do poke around here and there, BBC, CNN. I don't watch videos. I can't find a decent text news source. Sometimes I'll search a topic like "Hillary news".

Gcaptain is a news aggregator for marintime news, which has suprising relevancy to here IMHO.

Coincidentally I reran across this interesting tidbit.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/ ... lf-dobelli
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 25 Nov 2016, 23:40:01

I read Australian papers The Age,The Guardian The Financial Review mainly
Aus TV SBS and ABC no commercial news

OS stuff BBC, New Statesmen, Russia Insider,Le Monde Diplomatique
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 26 Nov 2016, 00:02:52

Daily, I watch the same news programs from the BBC and my local CBS affiliate, plus the PBS News Hour and The O'Reilly Factor. I believe that one should sample both the L and the R slant, and I am not impressed by any single news source.

In print I read The Wall Street Journal and National Geographic, plus my engineering rags.

All too many people seek out a source that corresponds to their own internal bias and their own prejudices, because it comforts them. That is BS.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 26 Nov 2016, 10:32:38

News junkies may want to review this.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/ ... lf-dobelli
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 26 Nov 2016, 11:38:40

Pops wrote:Generally, do you try to confirm stuff you read, pretty well trust your favorite source, take everything with a grain of salt, or just listen to your own big brain?

Do you honestly think people are going to individually validate confirmation bias? Oh I don't think so, if only because such bias exists because people won't admit it exists for them.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby sparky » Sat 26 Nov 2016, 18:06:08

A good read is "der spiegel " english edition , it's the largest weekly in Germany , about equivalent of Time magazine
as a read it often mirror the German establishment line .
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/

It's hard to pass "Reuters"
http://uk.reuters.com/

Chinese ,not so informative , it's tightly controlled
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/

French ,
http://www.france24.com/en/

Turkish , very much a voice of the government
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 27 Nov 2016, 14:40:26

http://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-work ... 1775461006

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 27 Nov 2016, 18:27:06

Newfie wrote:http://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-workers-we-routinely-suppressed-conser-1775461006

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.

In psychology what you try to repress usually finds a way to express itself,often very inappropriately. Those catholic priests preaching abstinence and boning little boys should have been hired by Facebook to warn them this was not a good idea!
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 10:35:27

I kind of hate to admit it but my sources are kind of random, mostly thing people link to on PO dot come that range from far left to far right and everything in between.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:08:47

Facebook started as a way to checkout college classmate - faces - it was never meant to be news.

That fake clickbait news exploded on FB, they tried to edit it, then quit and were overrun completely is not a surprise - PO.com was flooded by clickbait and we've only had traffic in the thousands at best.

What is a surprise is people would rather believe that HC armed ISIS, has a body double and the pope endorsed trimp than actual sourced news.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 16:47:12

I would like an online text oriented news source. Something where you could scan the headlines and organized by topic or region. Photo captions only with a click link if you wish to view.

But apparently very few folks want this kind of service.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 17:11:05

Google reader was a great, very spare RSS feed reader but alas it is discontinued

Google News is about the best I've found, using the "headlines" setting with personalization disabled you get probably about the best cross spectrum of trending stories. it probably is affected by G+ somewhat, don't know
Reuters is about the best, least biased originator newswire but it's interface is cluttered,
USA Today the same, not biased much but really clunky interface
I think you can get an AP app, don't know how it looks but they are pretty neutral

Here is a list
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/center/
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 17:16:15

How do you disable the personalization? I'm almost exclusively using an iPhone 6+.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 18:06:53

Newfie wrote:How do you disable the personalization? I'm almost exclusively using an iPhone 6+.

You could use www.startpage.com if you want to use a search engine that doesn't track your search results, like Google or Yahoo. Startpage doesn't track your search results or personalize them.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Tue 29 Nov 2016, 18:52:02

that's cool, I don't see a news feature tho
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MD » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 08:32:50

Unlike most of you all, I watch main stream cable news. Partly to laugh at their ridiculous bias (commentators posing as journalists), and partly to get a feel for what TPTB are selling to the masses this week. MSNBC, CNN, and Fox are in my current rotation. I was also rotating through Al Jazeera, RT, and BBC but no longer have access to those channels. I miss hearing their voices.

I also browse the internets, stopping in to see what the extremists of all flavors are selling this week.

I don't believe half of what I see, and the other half is suspect, but I do think it's healthy to get a broad perspective of viewpoints.

When I find myself getting "sucked in" to a particular pitch, which doesn't happen often anymore, I drop that particular source for a time.

I enjoy staying in the middle straddling the fence. My butt hurts at times as a result.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Return to Open Topic Discussion