Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

HyperNormalisation

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

HyperNormalisation

Unread postby Revi » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:36:48

I just saw this doc and wondered what others thought about it. His basic premise is that we built an empire of lies since the 1980's, and that we live in a simple world, provided for us and that we are in it's thrall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM

What do you think? I think he's onto something.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: HyperNormalisation

Unread postby Cog » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:39:01

2 hour and 40 minute video. You have to be kidding me. How about giving me some sort of summary about what the guy is on about?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:39:12

I watched it in little bits and pieces, because it's so long, and found it to be a great way to do it.

It allowed me to think about it in between. I think it's a really interesting way of of looking at the world.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:16:13

Here's the Wikipedia page on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperNormalisation
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 13:24:56

This is just "globalization" by another name. Its tedious when someone just renames something and then pretends he has discovered something new.

Both ideas are based on the concept that global corporations and financial centers with transnational interests are trying to run things.

There is some truth to it, of course. The mega-corporations and the WTO and the world bank and the Fed etc. really ARE trying to run things.

However, the populist election win for Brexit put a spanner in the works of the globalists, and the defeat of the TPP are big setbacks for the globalists. AND the upcoming elections in Italy, Austria and France, if populists win again, may result in the collapse of the EU---a major defeat for the globalists.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 14:50:50

Revi wrote:Here's the Wikipedia page on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperNormalisation

Thanks for the pointer, Revi.

I suspect there is really something powerful here. At a minimum, finding the Adam Curtis interview about the film on Youtube, I strongly suspect this guy's movies will generally be worth looking at.

Given the interests and ideas of a large proportion of folks on this site, I would think there would be a lot of interest in this material (HyperNormalisation, and the books which helped inspire it), unless I'm completely misunderstanding it thus far.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 15:21:20

Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 16:27:40

pstarr wrote:We plan on finishing the movie tonight with a bowl of popcorn and butter. My first since I went low-carb several years ago. I mean WTF . . . with the end of the world being Nigh.

Do you follow a paleo or Atkins type low carb lifestyle? I'm interesting in starting that myself shortly. Carrying too many pounds.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Sat 03 Dec 2016, 15:44:50

Cog wrote:
pstarr wrote:We plan on finishing the movie tonight with a bowl of popcorn and butter. My first since I went low-carb several years ago. I mean WTF . . . with the end of the world being Nigh.

Do you follow a paleo or Atkins type low carb lifestyle? I'm interesting in starting that myself shortly. Carrying too many pounds.

Cog, I recommend you start reading "The Paleo Cure", it works well if you can make it through the first 30 days. Been following it for about a year, and down ~35lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Cure-Personal-Prevent-Effortlessly/dp/031632292X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480794024&sr=8-1&keywords=paleo+cure+book

The first thirty days is pretty restrictive, but it helps you figure out foods that don't work for you. I call it my don't eat crap diet.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Sun 04 Dec 2016, 06:19:40

Thanks for the diet advice pstarr and careinke. I'm leaning towards the Atkins.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 04 Dec 2016, 08:47:43

If you take anything from this bbc presentation it is that we are all minions and pawns to powerful forces. Furthermore, you can forget about any of the elite power structures having our interest at heart beyond what benefits them. Lastly, we are well in the territory of the great convergence when the pawns (us) have moved over to the category of liability for the elites. We were assets when we enriched them, we are now more and more liabilities to be dealt with.

This is at the heart of the recent anti globalization, Trump, etc. All of us, regardless of our political ideology, are slowly recognizing that the power structures are self serving and all of us have this growing sense that we are expendable.

Get used to it. This is only the beginning.

This should not dishearten. It should encourage and inspire lifestyles and choices that build self reliance and community on the most local level. The super structures are perverted and deadly.

I cannot even follow any longer the macro super structures with much interest. I recognize them as pure malfeasance and I find myself making choices more and more that are camouflaged, withdrawing.

This century will not be kind to us.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 12:56:21

I agree Ibon. The political structures don't seem to want to work with us any more. Look at all the shenanigans on both sides in the recent election. I don't even want to think about what is going to happen with a certain person in charge.

We've become "useless eaters" in Kissingers parlance.

Most of us have become alienated from useful land and means of creating our own sustenance.

Welcome to the new reality.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 15:27:40

I don't think it's so much about building a world upon lies as about what happens when it all becomes too complex. I was talking to one of my Muslim friends at work the other day. We were discussing Syria, among many other things. What really came up was the seeming intractability of the whole mess. Not just the mess in Syria, but in the political structure underlying the whole Arab World. There isn't one right way to think about things. If you try to stick with a single policy it will help you in one place and hurt you in another. It's worse when the way you see things is based upon a history of violence. The emotions that rise up can be so powerful that you no longer see the causes, only the harm. He seems to suggest that Western policy somehow has to get beyond that. And get over itself as well, in some very fundamental way.

Personally, I see the Export Land Model at work once more. It was expedient that the region's oil went to supply the needs of the rest of the world outside of the region. As a result, the people living there were never subject to the economics that would have transpired had they used their own oil to build their own industrial success, and failure.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 19:04:21

I fail to see what is special about "HyperNormalisation "
it seem to be a mixture of the obvious with a dollop of conspiracy with factual mistakes thrown in

The governance of a society always create an ideology to bind its actions in a "legitimate" context.
There is no grand plan , that's not how it work ,
there is a multitude of selfish motives by the various groups and individuals whose interests are convergent ,
like a crowd walking the same way toward the same goal , ..no discipline ...no structure ....no chiefs
Assad didn't invent or use suicide bombing , it was invented by the Tamil Tiger guerillas the used by the Iranians
revolutionary guards during the Iran Iraq war , then taken by the hard line palestinians and south-lebanese insurgents

the "world governance " doesn't have a clue about what happen and doesn't control historical events beforehand but sing the same song pretty quickly when it fit with their interests .

P.S on the diet , I eat anything but have cut out carbs five years ago and have lost twenty pounds ,
not gorging oneself everyday also help , once in a while is o.k.
the paleo diet work but is a bit of a fraud ,
paleo hunters ate meat of animals with hardly any fat in them and had to sweat hard to get it ,
not purchase it at the shop
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews