Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Erebus: Operation Overdue

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Erebus: Operation Overdue

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 26 Dec 2016, 15:51:43

Amazon Prime threw this documentary up as a recommendation so I watched it.

At first I thought it was a docudrama like have become somewhat popular of late but it turned out to be a genuine documentary about an incident I have absolutely no memory of.

It was educational and touching in its own way and rather starkly reinforced the fact that having a state owned or operated company almost guarantees a cover up with collusion rather than a simple investigation and release of the facts of who, why and what in any investigation.

https://www.amazon.com/Erebus-Operation ... B00XVPFYSE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Z ... Flight_901

The initial investigation concluded the accident was caused by pilot error but public outcry led to the establishment of a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the crash. The commission, presided over by Justice Peter Mahon QC, concluded that the accident was caused by a correction made to the coordinates of the flight path the night before the disaster, coupled with a failure to inform the flight crew of the change, with the result that the aircraft, instead of being directed by computer down McMurdo Sound (as the crew assumed), was re-routed into the path of Mount Erebus. In Justice Mahon's report, he accused Air New Zealand of presenting "an orchestrated litany of lies" and this charge in the end led to changes in senior management at the airline.

The accident is New Zealand's deadliest peacetime disaster.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Book/Media Reviews