Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How healthy are you? Why is it so bad for many?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

How healthy are you? Why is it so bad for many?

Unread postby C8 » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 01:17:37

I walk at least 90-120 minutes on a treadmill each day at 8% incline at 3.6 mph. I prefer go go uphill and not jog in order to save my knees- it really feels great and I have lots of energy throughout the day. I've been doing this for 2 decades and read stuff on the internet to keep my mind occupied.

I have come to the realization that our jobs keep us too immobile and sacrifice part of my day after work to restore the balance. It would be great if my job were more active so I didn't have to do this, but it isn't, so I have to accept the reality of home maintenance. Getting home feels like I need to move. I really believe health is the number one priority and leads to achieving other goals also.

I am a definite minority in this health focus. Most people at my work look like they are one step of the way from an emergency room visit. I am stunned by the level of immobility, obesity, and disease many have. I am almost 3X older than some workers and yet they seem worse off.

When I was younger I used to read Dick Gregory, nutrition books, exercise books, etc. I didn't smoke or drink. It just seemed that taking care of my body was obviously the most important thing to do. I was part of the 1970's-1980's health movement.

But something went wrong and most people quit it. Later generations didn't even seem to care. I look at young people staring down at their phones all day- totally immobile- and fear for their future. Health seems to be getting worse with each new generation.

How did we get here? Why did we cast off the health focus that was such a big trend for a while in the "back to nature" 70's? The US is the richest nation on earth- why do its citizens not work out more? Why do so many not hear the voice of their body saying "move!"

I also wonder if folks that are interested in PO type stuff (or survivalist) are fitter than the general public- are you?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: How healthy are you? Why is it so bad for many?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 02:49:48

I stay in a job where i manually move several thousand kg around daily, just because it keeps me fit. I'm 50 this year with 90% peak fitness, no flab. I'm a bit extreme with self medicine, almost vegan, cauterize my own skin cancers, hydrogen peroxide for most other issues, almost never go to a doctor about myself, maybe average every 10 years, for a signature on a piece of paper.

My kids get too much screen time, but love trampoline & parks & beaches, they are quite healthy.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 09:16:55

Like Sea Gypsy I walk kilometers everyday and my day starts at 5:30am and ends at around 9:00pm when I usually fall asleep within 5 minutes. I do still have my nightly insomnia where I read an hour or so.

When I recall the couple of decades when I was engaged in the world of commerce, pushing papers, sitting in offices or in airplanes with long flights what I remember is having frequent back aches, more digestive discomforts, worse insomnia and higher levels of anxiety.

There is something grounding about ending every day having done lots of physical work. The mental state does not tend to fixate as much on dark shadows. There are anxieties associated with a lack of physical exercise, anxieties based more on crap that your head invents rather than real life issues. More aggression as well, less tolerance, more doomerish interpretations of world events.

Probably the community here on this site on average would greatly benefit from a lifestyle of more physical exercise. I would venture to say that over 50% of the folks here after a year of doing physical labor on a daily basis would find their views on the topics we discuss modified. The serious of the threats to our modern civilization would remain the same but ones relationship to them is what would undergo a radical shift.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 09:21:52

Since I have retired from land surveying, I find I don't sleep as well and have gained weight. When I was working, I would often walk miles a day. I would be tired at the end of the day but it was a pleasant tiredness and would go to sleep quickly at night. Like the OP, I'm going to have to supplement my retired lifestyle with some physical work-outs.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:06:06

I am planning to go out and run 4 hours today. I would like to do it 4 times a week but seldom get it done. I also focus on hiking a lot while running but I do run 100 miles at a time. I don't think there is any consensus that running is bad for your knees. I feel the more you exercise the better connected you are. I do think one of the greatest obstacles our civilization faces is the quantity and quality of citizens. Health care is a major issue since folks are not taking care of their bodies.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:46:19

I'm 66 and a bit over weight. My running days are past. I've some kind of low level inflammation that I mostly keep in check with 2 ibuprophen twice a day. I've tried talking to various doctors about it to no avail.

But that the sum total of my meds. and problems. I do a fair amount of walking, sporadically. I've always liked to walk but have always had some issues with my feet and legs, as did my Dad. My worst ever job would be being on my feet on a concrete floor all day, couldn't do it. Working on the boat always gives me some exercise hauling lines and grinding winches and such.

But like others I found sitting at desk deadly to soul, mind and body. I'd rather dig a ditch, better for you and more fulfilling.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 13:38:10

I love working out. I would workout every day if my body would let me. It's funny that this thread would come up because only yesterday I was talking to the receptionist at the gym about this very thing. I have lots of friends who enjoy nothing so much as a good donut and a nice sit on the couch.

When I was young I lifted more. In my thirties I began to run. In my late forties I encountered plantar fasciitis. I countered it with biking and running on the grass. We get actual winter where I live, so I also joined a gym. I workout there more than outside now. I used to ride my bike three hours a day, but didn't get on it that much last summer. The gym has wonderful machinery that allows me to go all out and not put so much stress on my feet. I also don't get flat tires miles from home. I could fix all of those, but they aren't fun.

The worst part about the gym used to be the price, but working out at a gym is cheap now. All that contract stuff has gone out the window. I just pay monthly. You do get some potential constrictions. Unlike the bike path, where sometimes you have to slow for traffic but if you are going a long distance those slow downs average to a very small part of your workout, the gym comes with competition for certain pieces of equipment. There's never competition for the elliptical machines that I like so much. The treadmills get filled up sometimes. I don't like treadmills anyway. I like to hit the heavy bag, and they only have one of those, so sometimes I have problems getting the workout I want there. I try to always have alternatives in mind if I can't do what I want. The great thing about a gym is that they have alternatives.

I just turned 53 about a week ago. Today I am fixing to go and work the elliptical for an interval workout. That means cycling between various elevations and intensity settings. I will make it hard and less hard, and punctuate that with easy for about 40 minutes. After that I will do the bench press. I like to do that on a machine. The machine is great because it has this foot press that allows me to spot myself. The only trouble with that is that the weight stack on it only goes up to 255 pounds. I get started with the meat of my bench press workout at 240, so I find I have to add a lot of those extra weights that you pile onto the stack to get through. There again, if it's crowded, those extra weights might all be in use. I'm not training to win any contests, so if I can't pack a bunch of them on I will adjust the number of reps I do with less weight up to a greater number rather than add more weight and do fewer reps. They have a free weight section. Eventually I will have to go up there, but that means trouble finding a spotter. After I do the bench press I will go over to the stepper. That's this machine that has a weight stack and handles. You pick up the weight as if you were lifting it from the ground, but the handles are attached to cables and the weight stack is before you. You step up onto an adjustable platform. There is nothing like it for taking the air out of you. It's amazing. One of the things I like to do is prospect for gold. That stepper is just like walking uphill with full buckets of dirt in both hands, only more intense. It's amazing because it works so much of your body. It doesn't just work the legs, but all of that weight hangs from your shoulders. Your back comes into play as well. And you have to grip it all the while. I usually do it, in sets of about 20 to 30 reps per leg, until I have trouble holding on anymore. Tomorrow I will do the heavy bag, and my back and arms.

You have to eat right as well. That means less crap, and more cooking. I am not a vegetarian, but most of my diet is composed of vegetables or grains of some kind. I eat a lot of lentils. I do concede white rice, but prefer black rice. I don't like the taste of brown rice, or I would probably eat more of that. I like chicken for meat. I don't eat too much red meat. I prefer almond milk over soy milk. I like real half and half in my coffee. I try to eat non-tortured chicken eggs. I don't eat that many eggs, so why not pay the extra. I find that it's a bad thing to make rules about not eating this or that. Christmas season makes me fat, just like it does everybody else. The trick is not to indulge yourself in good tasting sweet things very often. I look at the donuts in the store, outside of Christmas, and imagine how wonderful they would be, but then leave them there.

Sitting here writing this I checked my resting pulse rate. It's 52, 26 beats over 30 seconds. Yeah, that's pretty good. As long as it's under 60 I'm usually happy with it. The lowest it's ever been was 48, when I used to swim a lot in my 20's. Swimming is so total body that an hour every day or so and your heart rate will respond.

Then there is the role of faith in all this. You have to believe you can do it, and that it will benefit you. If you don't see a response, or you can't lift that weight you mustn't believe the wrong thing about yourself. The right application of faith as you do what you do will eventually turn the tide. I will lose the ten pounds of Christmas weight, but not in a couple of weeks. I have to watch my meals for a while. I don't need to workout harder, or longer. I workout enough. And sometimes it just won't go right. Sometimes you will feel tired more quickly, and it isn't you just caving into your inner slacker. I have one hell of an inner slacker. While it is true that I know a thing or two about harnessing my faith, if you believe in your heart then all of these things will be done for you, that other people don't that doesn't mean that anybody can't enjoy the physical part of their life. You only need to use what you have.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 13:49:29

Do I detect a common thread about health, Exercise. I lived my youth in NYC and thus grew fond of walking and I still am. I am 54 in relatively good fitness. I agree too much being sedentary is bad not just physically but mentally and emotionally. I love nature for physical activities but I do not go into truly pristine areas much. Most important though is diet as so much junk food out there. My advice to everyone is watch the Carbs and Sugar, they are the worse and the most addictive. Oh and a healthy mind is just as important as a healthy body.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 15:17:28

I'm 62 and I've arranged my work routine where I can have two hours to myself to walk my dog or go bicycle riding, otherwise I'm stuck behind a screen the rest of the day. I did away with using a desk for my work. I use an elevated 'desktop' with a drafting chair which means the difference between standing up and sitting down is very little and it is easy to move around.

I had chronic fatigue for a number of years and I'm finally at the point where I can bicycle around, although I avoid the steep hills (of which there are plenty where I am) which would give me an excellent cardio workout. I have yet to figure out how to get enough exercise to get rid of my belly flab and that is one of my goals.

I don't care to see doctors much and I rarely see the point, although I did partake extensively of natural remedies for a while and I have a witch doctor that I can ask for advice, though my wife believes in her more than I do.

I think it is crazy how we live with all the stress and limited opportanities to keep in shape. I like the area were I live, but I just wish they had more accomodations for bicycle riding and would have preserved areas of nature with just foot or bicycle paths that would actually allow one to get around without having to haul a bicycle on a car.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 17:06:04

I get the majority of my exercise working on the homestead. I do try and get at least four, one hour brisk walks per week as protection from Alzheimer's. I listen to podcasts while walking, and I mostly walk the property so I can keep an eye on things.

Gyms, and formal exercising just seems like a waste of time for me.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 18:36:38

GoghGoner wrote:I am planning to go out and run 4 hours today. I would like to do it 4 times a week but seldom get it done. I also focus on hiking a lot while running but I do run 100 miles at a time. I don't think there is any consensus that running is bad for your knees. I feel the more you exercise the better connected you are. I do think one of the greatest obstacles our civilization faces is the quantity and quality of citizens. Health care is a major issue since folks are not taking care of their bodies.

Better call Guinness book. 100 miles is 2.4 marathons, nobody has beaten 2 hours for 1 marathon, so you are by far the fastest in the world.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 18:42:31

I run a 100 miles in a day twice a year on average the last 3 years. My fastest is a little under 20 hours. I didn't say or mean that I run it in four hours.

There used to be a former long distance runner on this site, I don't remember who. And Agentr road his bicycle more than I run.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 18:54:25

SilentRunning, from memory.
I grew up in a long distance running family, but never went to ultra marathoning. One of my brothers has run at least one marathon a year since he was 18, 30 years. I use middle distance routines to speed detox, catch up when I feel the need, but currently my job has over 10,000 steps + 1000+ repetition lift & carry 20 kg at a time, so end of day I feel like I have been at the gym for a few hours.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 20:15:37

Im in my early 50s
I walk around my property, garden, fix things and go for a walk on the beach with my wife.
I dont do too much strenuous stuff like running or heavy lifting,Ive seen my dads knees go from running,my mums shoulders go from repetitive lifting and my uncles and some cousins live a life of pain from too much hard work.
Luckily I always worked for myself and was a good boss, short hours, long lunches with friends,lots of days off and not much grunting.
I enjoy cooking and eat mainly what I cook with fresh natural ingredients.
My menu is mainly Mediterranean or SE Asian.
I drink a glass or 2 of red wine regularly with meals
I watch my simple carbs (try and avoid white things)
Im on a 5:2 diet.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 21:08:17

I eat lots of veg and salads
Most meals are grilled meat or fish and salad or veg.
Eaten in the European way salad is the finisher or eaten with the meat/fish as the veg
Usually only 1 pasta a week, Friday is pasta and movie day with my wife.
Good oil is important mainly EVOO, Coconut, Macadamia,Ghee,Butter or Duck Fat.
I try and steer clear of the omega 6 rich stuff and the over heated to extract.

I also eat lots of fresh herbs with everything and plenty of dried herbs too
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 21:59:12

Sounds like a lot of folks here could get behind this book.

Go Wild
Free Your Body and Mind From the Afflictions of Civilization
By John J. Ratey, MD, and Richard Manning
Little, Brown and Company

We’ve seen a great a rise in diabetes, asthma, obesity, and other “diseases of civilization” during the past century. In Go Wild, John J. Ratey, a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and Richard Manning, a journalist, trace the roots of such problems much further back, to the dawn of agriculture. Before that, they argue, evolution brought hunter-gatherers into fine, healthy attunement with their natural environs; afterward, Homo sapiens became more sedentary, and we began to eat things (especially starches and sugars) that wreaked havoc on our bodies. “We are designed to be wild,” they proclaim, “and by living tamely we make ourselves sick and unhappy.”

One food we ate that was good for us was salmon, because as the fish traveled far through seas and rivers, they developed bodies dense with valuable nutrients. Similarly, these authors range wide in their thinking, and though their volume is slim, it’s lucid, forceful, and packed with fascinating, thought-provoking ideas and people. We meet neuroscientists and !Kung tribespeople, sleep researchers and students at a school with an unusual approach to treating autism—not to mention a modern biologist who tried (and nearly managed) to run down an antelope in order to test the methods of ancient hunters.

The authors offer specific exercise and diet prescriptions—trail running stimulates your brain and body much more effectively than treadmills; don’t eat sugar, bread, or pasta—but they warn against single-minded fixes. Instead, they promote longer sleep, greater exposure to nature, more varied movement, and a holistic bundle of other “instructions for re-wilding your life.”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 07 Jan 2017, 23:23:45

pstarr wrote:Recently discovered black cod, aka sablefish. Has more omega-3's oil than salmon. Also called Butter fish, it has a smooth light texture and is sweet sweet sweet. They fish it right here off the coast. Yum.

Barcoo Grunter or Queensland Jade Perch has a massive amount of Omega 3
http://www.ecofilms.com.au/jade-perch-t ... nics-fish/
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion