Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sanctuary city comes to the rustbelt...Cincinnati

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby slackercruster » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 09:29:37

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /97264754/

Are there any sanctuary cites run by reps or all they all dems?

Trump needs a sanctuary city czar
slackercruster
Wood
Wood

Re: Sanctuary city comes to the rustbelt...Cincinnati

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 09:54:53

Slacker - Heard a different take on "sanctuary" cities last week: there are no such areas. Go to the simple meaning of sanctuary: you are safe from removal or arrest. ICE is free to go into any "sanctuary" city and arrest anyone in the country illegally. Some city govt's have simply said they won't tell ICE when they pick up someone not in the country legally. But the feds don't even need the cities to inform them: if they run a person's prints, as normal, it goes thru the FBI data base.

So it's more a question of manpower then sanctuary: the feds don't have enough boots on the ground to chase illegals in every city...never had them. So they've always depended on local cops for the process. Thus those aren't "sanctuary" cities...they are simply "non compliant" cities.

President Trump is free to send US marshals or anyone else into those cities and take anyone violating federal law into custody. The cities might not assist the feds but they can't interfere either...the feds have jurisdiction in the matter. In one sense if violators are concentrated in a small urban area it would make a fed's sweep much easier.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 12:04:35

So it's more a question of manpower then sanctuary: the feds don't have enough boots on the ground to chase illegals in every city...never had them. So they've always depended on local cops for the process. Thus those aren't "sanctuary" cities...they are simply "non compliant" cities.

seems to me that by setting up "sanctuary cities/states" the FBI problem of locating illegals is eliminated....they now know where to look and are pretty much guaranteed of lots of arrests. More bang for your buck!
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 12:22:04

The thread title is silly and inaccurate, New York City is as rusty as you get and they have sheltered Illeagles since Rudy Gulianni left office in 2002!
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 13:41:52

Cincinnati just declared themselves to be a sanctuary city this week. This means the Ds who control Cincinnati won't turn over illegal alien criminals to the ICE for deportation as required by federal law. They will instead give sanctuary to the criminals and release them back to the community so they can commit more crimes against innocent Americans.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 15:00:11

P - "They will instead give sanctuary to the criminals...". And again the same picky point: the cities CANNOT provide sanctuary...IOW prevent their arrest by the feds. All they are doing is not assisting in the implementation of a law. Like knowing your neighhbor is sexually abusing his neice and you don't report him because you feel the laws against pedophilia are wrong. You're not providing sanctuary... just abetting a crime.

Just heard a partial headline: someone filed a lawsuit against a "sanctuary" city for turning loose an illegal (criminal?) who later killed (?) A family member.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 15:13:09

ROCKMAN wrote:All they are doing is not assisting in the implementation of a law.

The only reason the Ds are providing sanctuary to illegal alien criminals is that they are mostly Hispanic, and the Ds think this policy will win them the Hispanic vote.

IMHO the whole idea that city, state, country, and federal law enforcement agencies shouldn't cooperate with each other to enforce the law is nutso, and its putting the country on a dangerous path. The last time this happened the Ds went on to commit treason en masse by starting the Civil War. AND the Ds seem to be starting down that path again, with their secession movement in California and their wacky claim that Trump isn't their President.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 18:05:57

ICE can show up at every single construction job in a sanctuary city and conduct immigration checks. They can go into every single business within that city and hammer the owners for hiring them. So far, we have seen the movement of pawns on the chess board. When the knights, bishops, and rooks come into play, the game becomes a lot more interesting.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 19:50:54

Cincinnati was not the first major sanctuary city, that was San Francisco. The first major rustbelt sanctuary city was Chicago under Democratic Mayor Rahm Emmanuel. San Diego and in fact the whole LA basin and surrounding area are ground zero on the invasion of our Southern Border. The issues are older than Donald Trump's politics on the subject, his is simply the first major challenge to open borders.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 19:54:32

There is a lot of BS on both sides of this argument. While one group rails against illegals they do not support effective legislation because their constituents (with money) want the illegals here as low paid workers who they can intimidate.

The other side wants to "protect" them, but their constituents (with money) also want them to remain illegal for the afore mentioned reasons.

And in the meantime they can both blame one another and look good to the yokels that think their vote counts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 20:25:47

Newfie, money matters may underlie the problem, as they underlie most things. But the present debate is because the defiant City Attorneys and Attorney Generals in states and cities and counties are releasing illegal immigrant criminals rather than charging them, because charging them makes them vulnerable to ICE prosecutions and deportation.

The classic case is that of Kathryn Steinle, aka "Kate's Law". From Wikipedia:

On July 1, 2015, a man fired a stolen gun on Pier 14 in the Embarcadero district in San Francisco, California. The bullet ricocheted off the pavement, then struck 32-year-old Kathryn Steinle in the back, causing her to die two hours later at a hospital. Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico who had previously been deported five times, was arrested and charged with her murder.

The shooting sparked controversy and political debate over San Francisco's status as a sanctuary city. President Donald Trump cited Lopez-Sanchez in support of his proposal to deport foreign nationals living illegally in the United States, and mentioned Steinle during his acceptance speech at the 2016 Republican National Convention.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 20:40:28

Its like the Ds have blood on their hands. Every time they protect an illegal alien criminal from being deported and the criminal goes on to murder or rape or maim someone, the D sanctuary city policies are partly to blame.

I wonder---do the Ds really get that many Hispanic votes because they don't cooperate with ICE in deporting illegal alien criminals?

You'd think Hispanic US citizens wouldn't want Hispanic criminals set loose in their communities. Isn't one of they reasons they come to US to escape the corrupt Mexican police who don't arrest and jail the drug cartels and other criminals there?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 09:26:48

Not to mention being assumed to be low wage worker because you are Hispanic therefore probably illegal. Fake fairness & exploitation is the reality, surely many legal Hispanics can see this & would prefer an even playing field?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 10:30:36

SeaGypsy wrote:Not to mention being assumed to be low wage worker because you are Hispanic therefore probably illegal. Fake fairness & exploitation is the reality, surely many legal Hispanics can see this & would prefer an even playing field?

Your words are the words of the "race baiters", probably because you get the PC news outside the USA.

It's really not an issue here in Silly Valley at the very least, where I have now lived 31 years. The illegal Hispanic immigrants own the Lower Middle Class jobs such as construction contracting, truck driving, and gardening. Second or third generations - actually citizens as they were probably born here - are just as likely as any other racial group to be Upper Middle Class, Doctors or Lawyers or Politicians or Engineers. That's the typical experience of every racial group in the USA save one, which is the Black Americans of African extraction, who are still considered Black no matter how many years pass, and who figure so prominently in the prison populations.

Recently however, the total number of Hispanics (18%) has exceeded the total number of Blacks (14%) in America. They also comprise the largest group within the estimated 40 Million illegal immigrants in addition to the 325 million counted by the Census takers, with an estimated 30 million total Hispanic or Latino illegals. The counted population is 61% White alone, with single digit numbers of all other racial groups plus mixed race individuals. (Source = https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/)

In fact, some of us Americans are getting entirely out of patience with the way the government is obsessively measuring the racial components in every facet of our lives. My guess is that Trump will do more than Obama ever did to actually make progress with regard to race. But then that is only to be expected when you understand that Obama was a "Community Organizer" by profession before entering politics, which loosely defined is one who skims a living by causing racial conflicts, then collecting government funds, aka "race baiters".

The Hispanics are regarded by the Democrats as a great opportunity. The problem is that because of their largely Catholic religion, when left to their own devices, they naturally register as about 75% Republican with a Conservative culture. It's one major reason Trump won and Hillary lost, for all of his complaints, he is likely to have benefitted more from the illegal votes than did any other candidate, including a Republican named Cruz whose scheme was to ride a wave of illegal Hispanic votes into office.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 15:07:59

Plantagenet wrote:Cincinnati just declared themselves to be a sanctuary city this week. This means the Ds who control Cincinnati won't turn over illegal alien criminals to the ICE for deportation as required by federal law. They will instead give sanctuary to the criminals and release them back to the community so they can commit more crimes against innocent Americans.
Cheers!

Why don't the feds simply counter by refusing to supply such cities with various federal dollars?

With Trump as president, surely he would back such a plan.

This concept has worked before. Example: in the days of 55 mph speed limits to save gasoline, some western states like Nevada and Wyoming didn't bother to enforce the laws. Sometimes token tickets in the amount of $5 would be issued for "energy wasting".

I found one news citation listing different states, but showing the concept. If we're going to try to "fix" (to some extent) the illegal immigration problem, why not punish "sanctuary cities" for their behavior?

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-05-29/ ... peed-limit

(BTW, I'm all for legal immigration, to the extent we have the resources to handle it).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 15:57:55

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Why don't the feds simply counter by refusing to supply such cities with various federal dollars? ….. If we're going to try to "fix" (to some extent) the illegal immigration problem, why not punish "sanctuary cities" for their behavior?

Thats uncanny---Its like you are channelling Trump!

Trump signed an EO directing the federal movement to withhold federal funds from sanctuary cities just last week.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:06:25

How your system lets illegals vote I have no idea. The country I live that is nearly impossible, plus we have an oceanic border, which certainly helps reduce illegal immigration.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:27:23

Plantagenet wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:Why don't the feds simply counter by refusing to supply such cities with various federal dollars? ….. If we're going to try to "fix" (to some extent) the illegal immigration problem, why not punish "sanctuary cities" for their behavior?

Thats uncanny---Its like you are channelling Trump!

Trump signed an EO directing the federal movement to withhold federal funds from sanctuary cities just last week.
Cheers!

Great. I take issues one at a time, which is why I'm not following either major party (I think they're both insane -- just in different areas).

I'm glad to see Trump actually doing something about the issue, like his promises.

OTOH, I wish he'd be far more thoughtful/productive in his approach in some cases. The current ban of all immigration for 7 countries, whether legal or not, and whether screwing up families or not, for example, I don't agree with. The INTENT, I likely agree with. But on stuff like that, the POTUS needs to slow down, consult the cabinet and congress, and THEN act with a hopefully more sensible rule.

Just one opinion. It's nice to live in a country with free speech -- at least so far.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 03 Feb 2017, 02:21:05

Outcast - I agree with you about the INTENT. The rediculous part is how they framed the conversation. From what I can tell the President used the term ban but his folks are trying to explain it's a DELAY in the processing to make sure they know who we're letting in. But we will ban those with criminal records and, unfortunately, those with no documented paper trails proving who they are. Obviously with the deteriorated conditions in many of the countries such records were either destroyed or never existed in the first place.

How do you it's safe to allow a 30 yo Syrian man into the country if he doesn't have one official document proving his ID? Probably the vast majority of harmless middle age Syrian men will fall into that catergory.

So what then?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Fri 03 Feb 2017, 06:44:58

Unless the USA has a desperate need for 30 year old Syrian men that I am unaware of, then leave them out.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion