Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Technology has its own purposes.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Technology has its own purposes.

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 09:45:36

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ll/517551/
Once decoupled from their economic motivations, devices like automatic-flush toilets acclimate their users to apparatuses that don’t serve users well in order that they might serve other actors, among them corporations and the sphere of technology itself. In so doing, they make that uncertainty feel normal.

it seems corporations like to experiment with new technology using us as guinea pigs. Also, by always trying to cut costs. Well, what will happen when energy supplies run low to run all these machines and apparatuses that we have become so dependent on ? And which by the way are displacing more and more people from the workforce
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Technology has its own purposes.

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 11:05:09

onlooker wrote:https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/02/the-singularity-in-the-toilet-stall/517551/
Once decoupled from their economic motivations, devices like automatic-flush toilets acclimate their users to apparatuses that don’t serve users well in order that they might serve other actors, among them corporations and the sphere of technology itself. In so doing, they make that uncertainty feel normal.

it seems corporations like to experiment with new technology using us as guinea pigs. Also, by always trying to cut costs. Well, what will happen when energy supplies run low to run all these machines and apparatuses that we have become so dependent on ?

Peak energy won't be an issue as long as the sun is shining, it being the largest source of energy available to humanity. Peak "energy the kind we want" is, of course, dependent on a host of other issues, and can easily change with respect to time. Ongoing changes in transport fuels being just one example.

onlooker wrote: And which by the way are displacing more and more people from the workforce

The Luddite angle works better than the energy angle nowadays.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 25 Mar 2017, 00:26:18

onlooker wrote: Well, what will happen when energy supplies run low to run all these machines and apparatuses that we have become so dependent on ?

Good thing that the one thing that never seems to work out is running low on energy supplies. The sun just has WAY too much hydrogen for malthusians I guess.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby MD » Sat 25 Mar 2017, 07:29:12

AdamB wrote:
onlooker wrote: Well, what will happen when energy supplies run low to run all these machines and apparatuses that we have become so dependent on ?

Good thing that the one thing that never seems to work out is running low on energy supplies. The sun just has WAY too much hydrogen for malthusians I guess.

Hydrocarbon Depletion, which is this site's primary mission statement, despite its URL listing, has little to say about energy availability but a lot to say about resource management and its impact on economy and culture.

Times are a-changin'. Adapt or die. That's as concise as it gets.

Life itself is pretty damn good at adapting. Let's see how well we manage. Prognosticating (crystal ball gazing) isn't a useless exercise, but it sure is one that's fraught with pitfalls and misdirection. Good luck with that!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 25 Mar 2017, 07:49:39

MD wrote:Times are a-changin'. Adapt or die. That's as concise as it gets.

Life itself is pretty damn good at adapting. Let's see how well we manage. Prognosticating (crystal ball gazing) isn't a useless exercise, but it sure is one that's fraught with pitfalls and misdirection. Good luck with that!

I would agree and add that the times that are changing is more relevant to generations, not so much to individuals in terms of survival. What is really relevant for the individual is adapting to ones sense of entitlement stepping down expectations and stepping up on humility in adapting to a world a bit less predictable and secure.

As can be seen by so many on this site and in the collective at large the real theme here is psychological and coping.

Real hard physical constraints that will unfold will act more on populations than individuals. Of course individuals will live or die in floods and rising sea levels or energy constraints but the culture manifests this as a set of shifting values that really is generational.

It is a bit like evolution, slow changes work on the population level.

This is an insight that has resulted in my abandoning my obsession with human overshoot. It is not relevant in our individual lives and is a useless waste of precious time in reference to the creative endeavors one can choose or not choose in how you spend your time.

What is really finite is not so much fossil fuels as each of our short mortal time on this planet.

Wallow in sorrow over the fate of mankind using digital media or get out there and engage.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion