Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Life's Curve Balls

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Life's Curve Balls

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 11 Mar 2017, 12:41:55

We have been coping with a health crisis involving my wife's Mother. She is 87 years old and has lived most of her life with a heart damaged by Rheumatic Fever in her childhood. Two weeks ago, she survived a laparoscopic operation to install a new heart valve in her damaged heart. In the recovery period for this procedure, the wife took time off in a busy Tax Season and went East to Nantucket to visit her. On the way she picked up the twin grandkids and their parents, to satisfy what we thought was likely her dying wish. A constant source of support was her younger sister, a spry and healthy 85 year old woman who had a 40+ year career as a nurse with the US Public Health Service in Panama. She was retired and living in Georgia, surrounded by her late husband's family (he was a retired Civil Engineer who worked in the Panama Canal Zone).

The wife's Aunt had been a source of comfort and support and medical knowledge as the wife's Mother was treated. Then unexpectedly when it looked as if things were working out, we heard that the Aunt had been hospitalized with a series of seizures that were gradually increasing in intensity, and accompanied by fever and delirium. Yesterday she died, and the US CDC immediately took possession of the body for autopsy. The preliminary diagnosis is rabies.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Life's Curve Balls

Unread postby Cog » Sat 11 Mar 2017, 13:15:11

Sorry for what you are going through. I'd say rabies is definitely a curve ball. Not at all what a person would expect to die from.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 11 Mar 2017, 18:02:27

KJ - Yep, no matter how predictable such events will eventually unfolds always difficult to deal with in the moment.

OK, all you young farts can stop reading now. LOL. My wife and I touch on such a subject more lately then we (and most others do) in the younger years. You end up counting more folks you know well dying then folks you know well having babies. And as your story highlights they can come close to home. And while one might avoid focusing on their mortality you reach an age where reminders pop up more and more often. Like just yesterday when the Rockman filed for his Social Security on line since he turns 66 in April. When you're 25 yo it's difficult to imagine that day ever getting here.

In fact the Rockman might have not reached 25 had he not dodged what fate had in store for him when he turned 18. So at times looking back at all those decades the Rockman sees that span as "lagniappe"...a concept from my youth in south Louisiana. In that sense I see myself as luckier the many of the other 66 year olds that won't see 67. Sometimes...other times getting old really seems to suck. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 11 Mar 2017, 22:23:55

Just yesterday in the national museum in Alexandria here in Egypt the lights were all out on the stairs and a big overweight 70 year old American slipped on the curved non standard steps in the dark and fell heavily crashing into a statue at the bottom of the stairs. He broke his hip and shoulder. The elevator was broken so the Egyptians lifted him onto an office chair, rolled him to different stairs and carried him up there.

Things were so boogered up from the fall and then being carried around in a chair with a broken hip the docs decided they had to operate now, here in Egypt.

When one thing goes wrong often a cascade of other things go wrong as a consequence
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Sun 12 Mar 2017, 10:11:51

Was the statue OK ?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 11 Apr 2017, 22:56:00

Well, the MIL died today. At least she saw her Great Grandchildren first. Rotten timing, as my wife the accountant is in the final prep for tax day, extended until the 18th this year. We will be going East for services after the cremation, and have to make a decision about her home, whether to try and keep it or sell. Niether the wife nor myself feel much attachment to the island any more. Once it was a special place, but 40 years have passed. The MA inheritance taxes are crippling, as well, and I'm retired.

The CDC ruled out rabies on the Aunt, but "unknown bacterial infection causing encephalitis" is not much better.

Life goes on, for those of us still kicking. Some days it seems like most people I ever knew are dead.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 00:33:39

My deepest condolences to you and your wife on the loss of your loved one.

Take care of yourself KJ---you'll get through this.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 10:24:53

Our condolences as well. We have lost all our parents, quite a while back now.

One thing I have found consistent, you may know someone is ill and on the verge of death, yet you are never prepared for it when you answer the phone and say "Hello." It's a shock to the system.

Breath deep, take time, remember, weep, heal.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Medical Issues Forum