Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Scientists Don't Actually Know Why Anything Exists

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Scientists Don't Actually Know Why Anything Exists

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 17:28:05

To understand this conundrum, we have to go back to the very beginning: the first milliseconds of the Big Bang. As the early universe began to take shape, particles and their equal, yet opposite, counterparts — called antiparticles — annihilated each other and disappeared.

Both were supposed to have been created in equal amounts, so when everything finally settled down, nothing should have been left over. But a tiny portion of matter managed to survive and formed everything we see in the universe today. But it made scientists wonder: What happened to all the antimatter?

http://www.nbc26.com/newsy/scientists-d ... ing-exists
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Scientists Don't Actually Know Why Anything Exists

Unread postby dissident » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 22:24:08

onlooker wrote:
To understand this conundrum, we have to go back to the very beginning: the first milliseconds of the Big Bang. As the early universe began to take shape, particles and their equal, yet opposite, counterparts — called antiparticles — annihilated each other and disappeared.

Both were supposed to have been created in equal amounts, so when everything finally settled down, nothing should have been left over. But a tiny portion of matter managed to survive and formed everything we see in the universe today. But it made scientists wonder: What happened to all the antimatter?

Arrogant inference from arrogant faith in marginal theories. If gravity is actually an emergent phenomenon from the field of quantum EM noise, then perhaps anti-matter anti-gravitates. Even though we produce anti-particles in accelerator collisions there have been no experiments to test this hypothesis. Anti-particles would have to be captured in magnetic fields and then taken to a perfect vacuum (none can be created by any existing technology and there is enough contamination that any anti-particle will collide with it an annihilate) to see if they fall down or up in Earth's gravity field. Producing enough anti-matter that its weight can be measured while it is still confined is not feasible either.

Anti-gravity would allow the primordial matter to phase separate without total annihilation.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 11 Apr 2017, 02:18:50

The assumption of one big bang, one Universe is arrogant. Humans setting limits because we are limited. Infinity is a hard concept, but a reality.

(Vedic science says everything exists to serve life, which is itself divine. I could go on, but life's too short & I'm going for a swim).
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 14 Apr 2017, 18:29:15

onlooker wrote:

That's the way science works, re the scientific process.

When new data or observations, etc. produce a better, peer reviewed theory which the scientific community finds better explains the creation of our universe, then that will be the prevailing theory.

Science isn't perfect, but it's a darn sight better than competing systems, as far as trying to make predictions about the universe we live in.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 14 Apr 2017, 21:15:44

Science isn't perfect, but it's a darn sight better than competing systems, as far as trying to make predictions about the universe we live in.----
Agreed. However, I think that they're are some questions about the Universe, Science will not be able to answer for a long time if ever. Just my personal opinion.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 15 Apr 2017, 01:30:02

Yes Peter. My view is it must be infinite numbers of big bangs & collapses, simply because we exist in infinity. No occurrence in nature is singular, so why would the infinite Universe be any different?

An equally confounding perspective is inward infinity, where the observer gets smaller & smaller, infinitely. My ponderance since childhood led to the 'Universe in a grain of sand, infinity in the palm of your hand'- questions. Travelling inward, is there a point where the atoms at our level of reality are stars & planets? On & on it goes, in & out, in & out, maybe that's what it's all about?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 15 Apr 2017, 06:10:02

So guys to get to the nitty gritty, what/who is the impetus for creation, where did IT all come from? Is there a Divine consciousness? Why should anything even exist?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 15 Apr 2017, 21:44:13

Onlooker, if you read the first big book on chaos theory, the conclusion if there is one- is 'novelty'.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 15 Apr 2017, 22:16:45

SeaGypsy wrote:Onlooker, if you read the first big book on chaos theory, the conclusion if there is one- is 'novelty'.

Thanks Sea. Though if you could provide the title :)
How is nomadic life treating you?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 16 Apr 2017, 07:01:21

"Chaos: making a new science" is the title. Something in my blood makes me happy to be a nomad. I'm currently juggling multiple realities- full time job, part time dad, no fixed address, very full on fitness regime (3-4 hours a day 7 days a week) camping in a rotation of sites in & out of the city. Mostly feeling very good- positive, fit, sociable.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 16 Apr 2017, 15:55:58

Yah, i read the whole series, great, though the last- 'So Long & Thanks for All the Fish' (supposedly the first widely known book written by a computer)- a little disappointing in comparison.

I'm 50 this year, in a few weeks actually, funny to be called youthful- though i am swimming sub 30 second 50 meter laps, 4 breaths & can swim a full lap on the bottom of the pool- not bad for a 20+ year mixed dope smoker. When i left my wife for the third time a few months ago i quit smoking anything, drinking alcohol, now at about 2/3 my peak fitness at age 28. The level of clarity of mind is better than ever, not quite as creatively sharp as in my twenties but maturity more than makes up for that.

The Korea/ ME situations are crazy, are my other two countries i used to feel at home,- Indonesia & Philippines. Feeling pretty blessed to be in the temperate deep south of Oz.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion