Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Supply chain disruption

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Supply chain disruption

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 15 May 2017, 17:36:10

If you're not aware already, there has been a major global Ransomware attack going on this week, which is locking down computer systems and demanding payment to decrypt files or they will be deleted.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-1 ... n-anything

At work since Friday we started getting dozens of spam e-mails a day all of a sudden, way too many to be from a single source or person. I work for a major food wholesaler, but I'm in a minor role in the company. We are totally dependent on the computer systems working. We had a shut-down for 36 hours 2 years ago in the computer hardware and then nationwide we were almost out of business as a result, it took weeks to recover from the systems failure. Just in time delivery systems don't work if things don't work 'ON TIME' when they're supposed to work.

Just from the scale of this attack, it is almost like some entity is trying to shut the supply chain down? It doesn't take much to damage a just in time system, there is almost no redundancy build into the system, it is lean, mean and ruthlessly efficient. Its great 99% of the time, until something like this occurs, then watch out !
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Supply chain disruption

Unread postby Cog » Mon 15 May 2017, 17:38:42

Affects Windows XP systems. Microsoft has not provides updates for that operating system since 2014. If you are still running them, a lot of the blame falls on the user.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 15 May 2017, 17:45:02

The company I work for still uses an IS4000 mainframe built in the early 1980's for 50% of its activities. (Pre-windows I had to memorize formatting commands to use it when I started) Not all companies upgrade their computers.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 15 May 2017, 18:39:43

No problem running legacy software as long as you don't expose it to the internet. Or should I say running a legacy system that is isolated from any other computer connected to the internet.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion