Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Madd Addam Trilogy

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Madd Addam Trilogy

Unread postby Revi » Tue 16 May 2017, 08:51:00

I am just starting on Margaret Atwood's Madd Addam trilogy. After the Flood is the first one and it's pretty good already.

There is a pandemic and there is a suggestion of a warming world, but it's hard to tell what's happened so far.

I will update you all without giving any spoilers.

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale has gotten a lot of press lately, but this dystopian trilogy about a warming, dying world has gotten less attention.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Madd Addam Trilogy

Unread postby Revi » Mon 22 May 2017, 13:25:46

Yes, it's one word. Thanks! I just finished the second book in the series, The Year of the Flood. It was a continuation of Oryx and Crake, but with some different characters. They get more into the God's Gardeners, and it was a really good read. Severe climate change has happened, but it's just one of the dysfunctional elements in the drama. It's really a dark and funny commentary on our own times. Great read!
Here's a review. It doesn't contain too many spoilers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04278.html
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Tue 23 May 2017, 08:01:33

The third book in the series, MaddAddam, has a lot about an oil crunch and the aftermath. It led to the dystopian world depicted in the first two books. There is even a religion called The Church of PetrOleum. Margaret Atwood is great at coming up with things that are very darkly funny, and not too far from our present day reality.

I think the third book is a good one to read, then read the prequels. You'll be hooked! I have been the past week or so!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Tue 23 May 2017, 09:02:13

I didn't know when I started, but Oryx and Crake is the first book, After the Flood is the second and MaddAddam is the third and final one in the trilogy.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 08:31:26

I am re-reading The Handmaid's Tale. I read it back in the 80's and it is still quite relevant. Margaret Atwood is really good at creating dystopian worlds. There's a reason that this book became so popular and is enjoying a revival. It's really good, and very dark. MaddAddam was much funnier. Very little humor in The Handmaid's Tale, but it's worth the read!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews