Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mount Everest deaths

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Mount Everest deaths

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 26 May 2017, 16:15:02

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-23/m ... us/8549222
I find this story interesting from a psychological perspective.
Question: Why did you climb it?
Answer: Because its there
Our population always has its share of thrill seekers and daredevils
Mount Everest deaths prompt fears the mountain is becoming increasingly dangerous
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Mount Everest deaths

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 26 May 2017, 17:16:42

It must be a grand and awe inspiring sight though to look down from that mountain
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 26 May 2017, 17:17:40

Interesting story. The part about acclimatization to the higher altitudes sometimes just not being enough is very true. There are some people who seem to be much less affected by high altitudes (eg. Messner and many of the Sherpas) and others who experience altitude sickness at heights well below 20,000 feet. A friend of mine had to carry down one of his climbing partners from Nanga Parbut when the fellow was hit with pulmonary edema at an elevation of around 18,000 feet.....he didn't make it. It's one of those things you just don't find out about until you've been to that elevation. It does look like the typical tourist assault on Everest will be a thing of the past. Apparently the entire Hilary step collapsed making the only real technical part of the climb much more difficult.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 26 May 2017, 17:25:14

So I think what is a salient point is if you are not fully prepared and have little to no experience in mountains and climbing, you probably shouldn't be up there. It seems though that the Nepalese govt. is primarily interested in making money. Well then, risk takers are taking risks
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 26 May 2017, 19:16:38

It a slow way of taking care of over population.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 26 May 2017, 19:45:21

Lot of dead bodies up there. The climbers go right by them on the way up.

Dead bodies at link. You have been warned

http://imgur.com/gallery/4UJj0
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 26 May 2017, 21:24:30

My brother is a student of the subject since our uncle did ten climbing seasons as a base camp doctor. He told me weeks ago this climbing season will be a disaster, due to the Nepali government granting 2 years backlogged climbing permits- inevitably creating traffic jams on the mountain. This year the Sherpas were also a few weeks later than usual putting in the ropes for crucial climbing stages, exacerbating the traffic issue.

Bodies are usually left in situ as to rescue them is itself an extremely risky endeavour. There are hundreds of bodies left permanently on the mountain.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 May 2017, 01:03:56

And now to make things even more dangerous and risky---"Mount Everest’s famous Hillary Step has collapsed, mountaineer discovers to his ‘shock and horror’
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mount-everest ... 17180.html

Mount Everest’s famous Hillary Step has collapsed, mountaineer discovers to his ‘shock and horror’

A British mountaineer has confirmed a cliff face that is the last major obstacle on the main route to the summit of Mount Everest has collapsed, potentially making it even more dangerous for climbers to reach the world’s highest peak.

Nepalese climbers deny that. ummm, instructed by Nepal govt to do so ? We seem to be getting a whole array of human drama up there
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 27 May 2017, 12:25:49

onlooker wrote:And now to make things even more dangerous and risky---"Mount Everest’s famous Hillary Step has collapsed, mountaineer discovers to his ‘shock and horror’
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mount-everest ... 17180.html

Mount Everest’s famous Hillary Step has collapsed, mountaineer discovers to his ‘shock and horror’

A British mountaineer has confirmed a cliff face that is the last major obstacle on the main route to the summit of Mount Everest has collapsed, potentially making it even more dangerous for climbers to reach the world’s highest peak.

Nepalese climbers deny that. ummm, instructed by Nepal govt to do so ? We seem to be getting a whole array of human drama up there

As a rule of thumb I would trust the native guides to be more accurate than a publicity seeking westerner.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 27 May 2017, 16:44:18

As a rule of thumb I would trust the native guides to be more accurate than a publicity seeking westerner.

Tim Mosedale who made the claim regarding the Hillary step did so after finishing his 6th successful summit of Everest. He is a fairly well known British mountain guide.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion