Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sleep deprived

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Sleep deprived

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 26 May 2017, 18:08:36

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-brain-l ... NaturePage
The Brain Literally Starts Eating Itself When It Doesn't Get Enough Sleep
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Sleep deprived

Unread postby Cog » Fri 26 May 2017, 19:39:43

The Art of the Nap.

Sunday afternoon with a belly full of grilled animal flesh. Darkened room with the Golf channel commentators whispering softly in the background. Most restful two hour nap you will ever have.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 26 May 2017, 21:05:41

Somewhere recently read about why naps are bad for for you. Cant recall more.

Sleep is the bane of single handed sailors. I set at kitchen timer for 15 to 30 minutes depending upon circumstances. Even do it during the day just to check around. When single handing, or even double handed, sleep is a serious part of your job. The longest single handed passage I've done is 7 days. If the weather is poor my Wife can get seasick which makes her unable to stand watch, zombie ship. Then I have to stand all watches. I've done a number of all nighters just this past year.

Not saying its good or bad, just what I get pushed into. I dislike it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 26 May 2017, 21:21:31

I was reading something about the sleeping habits of rural agrarian societies prior to electricity. Most would sleep slowly after night fall. Wake up around midnight and with candle light do some light chores like weaving or whittling wood, sleep again until pre dawn, get up, short naps after big mid day meals.

This makes sense ecologically. Most diurnal animal species have nap time during the day. The three species of monkeys we have here at Totumas certainly do as I have witnessed first hand.

Imagine how much our sleep habits have been disrupted, first with electricity, urban areas where darkness never descends, and then the modern digital age where folks wake up at 3am turn on their computers or cell phones and check up on what Dohboi or Cog commented on one of your recent posts.

We are pretty weird animals.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 26 May 2017, 22:11:44

onlooker wrote:http://www.sciencealert.com/the-brain-literally-starts-eating-itself-when-it-doesn-t-get-enough-sleep?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Branded+Content&utm_campaign=ScienceNaturePage

So...in a peak oil forum what you are you implying? That peakers are all insomniacs?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 May 2017, 00:53:13

AdamB wrote:
onlooker wrote:http://www.sciencealert.com/the-brain-literally-starts-eating-itself-when-it-doesn-t-get-enough-sleep?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Branded+Content&utm_campaign=ScienceNaturePage

So...in a peak oil forum what you are you implying? That peakers are all insomniacs?

No, that maybe we should sleep a little more and doom a little less :-D :-D :razz:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby aldente » Sat 27 May 2017, 01:50:48

in case you do not sleep enough - over there in New York - contact me as a conduit - over here in Los Angeles
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Sat 27 May 2017, 06:35:25

I break my sleep up into two periods. Afternoon nap of varying length. Generally 2-3 hours. Then sleep again from 11:00 pm to 0400 am. The diurnal pattern that Ibon references. I feel more rested than trying to sleep 8 hours straight.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 May 2017, 08:59:38

Cog wrote:I break my sleep up into two periods. Afternoon nap of varying length. Generally 2-3 hours. Then sleep again from 11:00 pm to 0400 am. The diurnal pattern that Ibon references. I feel more rested than trying to sleep 8 hours straight.

Me too, now that I am semi-retired and 55yrs, I like those afternoon naps
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 27 May 2017, 09:35:12

I have no idea of what the truth is, it there seem to be a fair number of studies indicating a down side to napping. Doesn't much matter to me, I'm usually busy with something or another anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... third.html

It seems a pretty harmless occupation, but taking an afternoon nap can knock years off your life, say researchers.

British adults who sleep for an hour or more in the day increased the chances of premature death by almost a third, scientists found.

The biggest risks appear to be associated with lung diseases, such as bronchitis, emphysema and pneumonia.

Adults who nap every day are up to two-and-a-half times more likely to die from respiratory illnesses than those who don’t.

Researchers said that this could be because napping triggers inflammation in the body.

However, the findings, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, also suggested that dozing during the day could be a signal that the person already has lung disease.

Experts at Cambridge tracked more than 16,000 British men and women over 13 years.

They studied adults who, in the late nineties, signed up to a major research project investigating the effects of diet and lifestyle on cancer.

As part of the project, volunteers gave details of their sleeping habits – including whether they took a nap in the day.

Researchers then followed them up for 13 years and recorded the number of deaths – just over 3,000 – and what caused them.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 May 2017, 09:59:14

https://sleep.org/articles/napping-health-benefits/
https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/napping
According to these two links napping is beneficial for alertness and to reduce stress
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Sat 27 May 2017, 13:10:19

I'm going to be real annoyed if I don't outlive everyone on this board.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 27 May 2017, 14:53:59

Cog wrote:I'm going to be real annoyed if I don't outlive everyone on this board.

Not to worry, we all will be annoyed if you do! :badgrin:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aldente » Wed 31 May 2017, 22:04:33

Cog must be a (self declared) soldier - so am I:

during 2014-2016 I went to bed daily at 9:00 pm straight (not ONE minute late) in order to be able to wake up btw. 3 - 5 am, which took place indeed. Add the six months before and after we are talking about 2 1/2 years.

Nowadays I sleep in and smoke dope...

Then again, be prepared for tomorrow.

This as a simple measure to cover all fronts.

aldente
Permanently Banned

Return to Medical Issues Forum