Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

American War

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

American War

Unread postby Revi » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 14:39:23

I have just started to read this amazing book, American War. It starts in the year 2075, when most coastal cities have been flooded and the government decides to ban fossil fuels. The south rebels, and there is a new civil war. The main character, Sarat is forced to deal with the consequences.

This book has it all. Please no spoilers, because I'm not done yet.

Here's an interview with the author, click on the show on the top left.

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/02/522194002 ... of-revenge

Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: American War

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 16:04:03

Yikes, just looked it up, 14 bucks for the kindle price of a first time author? I would need a lot of honest reviews before plunking down that much! I hardly buy authors I know well for that much money, let alone a first time author.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 17:07:33

Revi wrote:I have just started to read this amazing book, American War. It starts in the year 2075, when most coastal cities have been flooded and the government decides to ban fossil fuels. The south rebels, and there is a new civil war.

Sounds great. But why would it be the south that rebels?

Wouldn't energy producing states like Pennsylvania, California, Colorado, Texas, North Dakota, Alaska etc. want to continue using fossil fuels, while energy consuming states and states hit hard by coastal flooding would want to ban fossil fuels?

Sounds like mindless anti-south prejudice to have the south rebel again and make them the villains, when FF use isn't really a southern issue and most southern states aren't really big FF producers.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Peaku22 » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 02:08:23

will add that to my reading list
Peaku22
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Revi » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 10:03:00

The south really isn't the villain in this book. So far they are the only ones we have gotten to know. It's really a novel about the consequences of war, human nature and climate change. It isn't preachy at all. It's just a really good story so far. They are in a refugee camp on the border between the north and the "MAG", which is what they call Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.

There has already been a battle for the Texas oil fields, and the North won it. I am not giving any spoilers, since they mention this in the first few pages of the book.

The main character is a young girl, Sarat, who is learning how to navigate in a world that's falling apart.

I got it yesterday and have read almost half of it. Well worth checking it out!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 13:23:34

Subjectivist wrote:Yikes, just looked it up, 14 bucks for the kindle price of a first time author? I would need a lot of honest reviews before plunking down that much! I hardly buy authors I know well for that much money, let alone a first time author.

I know, I had to think about it at first, then I bought it and I would say it's worth it.

It costs around $17 for it in hardback, but then you can pass it around.

https://www.amazon.com/American-War-Oma ... 0451493583
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 14:07:18

Here's an excerpt:

It's from the beginning of the book, so it won't be a spoiler.

http://www.npr.org/books/titles/5222308 ... ar#excerpt
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 09:30:20

I just finished it. It was a great book. Not a cheerful one, but it really creates a world that is believable. Well worth the read!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 14:59:12

Revi wrote:I have just started to read this amazing book, American War. It starts in the year 2075, when most coastal cities have been flooded and the government decides to ban fossil fuels.

Well, that part sounds about right. Cart before the horse and all that.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KingM » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 20:02:53

If you want some interesting post-apocalypse stuff for a long cheaper (I think the Kindle books are about five bucks), check out The Righteous series. It's about a polygamist community in the Southwest, and gradually works to a collapse situation from what at first seems like a murder mystery. Kind of different, but it looks at what it would look like if everything fell apart. The author is obviously Peak Oil/Depletion aware.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Peaku22 » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 02:11:57

KingM wrote:If you want some interesting post-apocalypse stuff for a long cheaper (I think the Kindle books are about five bucks), check out The Righteous series. It's about a polygamist community in the Southwest, and gradually works to a collapse situation from what at first seems like a murder mystery. Kind of different, but it looks at what it would look like if everything fell apart. The author is obviously Peak Oil/Depletion aware.

That's what interest me to read it. Still haven't started though
Peaku22
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 08:18:27

Revi - "There has already been a battle for the Texas oil fields, and the North won it." I thought you said this was fiction. Texas lost its oil fields? Obviously a fantasy tale. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Book/Media Reviews