Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

American Wars Affecting Americans

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

American Wars Affecting Americans

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 14:46:45

The business of politics, as usual. The only difference is that the country has stepped from the left foot to the right foot.

The amusing thing is that Trump shows every sign so far of being a spectacular success, compared to Obama.

Most people liked Obama at first, until it became clear that his biggest success was playing golf, and he couldn't get much done. But speaking as a Classical Liberal, I approved of what he couldn't get done, and ignored what he said.

The problem with Trump from the viewpoint of Classical Liberalism, is that he shows every indication that he can get things done, and has a track record of doing a lot before being POTUS. That's pretty scary, a politician who can actually do things other than run his mouth.

Ultimately National level politics does not effect most of us much. There really were only two wars that impacted US citizens, those being the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. The others were pretty much "don't care", except that WW2 had a huge economic impact, transforming our economy from 19th-ranked to #1. The only economic conniption worth mentioning is the Great Depression which proceeded WW2 and was cured by that war.

Yes, healthcare is a concern for seniors like most of us. But they really are not messing with Medicare, only the healthcare for younger folks. Sound choice on their part.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Special Counsel Thread

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 15:54:49

Perhaps the War of 1812 didn't affect your ancestors much, but it sure as heck stirred things up here. Fort Meigs is a direct result of that war, and the slaughter of the American wounded about twenty miles north of here is the main reason the forth here was built, and well maintained for quite some time after the end of that war.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/t ... -90221738/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 19:43:24

Subjectivist wrote:Perhaps the War of 1812 didn't affect your ancestors much, but it sure as heck stirred things up here. Fort Meigs is a direct result of that war, and the slaughter of the American wounded about twenty miles north of here is the main reason the forth here was built, and well maintained for quite some time after the end of that war.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/t ... -90221738/

Sub,

Interesting article. Care to explain the relevance to this thread? Or was it just that the nation was in turmoil?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 20:01:10

Newfie wrote:-snip-
Sub,

Interesting article. Care to explain the relevance to this thread? Or was it just that the nation was in turmoil?

I think Sub was replying to my comment that the Revolutionary War and Civil War were the two most impactful to America. I still think that, and would fill out the top five wars with WW2, the War of 1812, and the Cold War.

The War of 1812 was ccertainly significant for the former "colonies", but England hardly noticed this bitter conflict, they were preoccupied with a larger scale conflict with "the upstart Frog", aka Napoleon. If not for that distraction, most likely the USA would have lost the war of 1812, and rejoined the British Empire.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 21:11:01

KaiserJeep wrote:
Newfie wrote:-snip-
Sub,

I think Sub was replying to my comment that the Revolutionary War and Civil War were the two most impactful to America. I still think that, and would fill out the top five wars with WW2, the War of 1812, and the Cold War.

The War of 1812 was ccertainly significant for the former "colonies", but England hardly noticed this bitter conflict, they were preoccupied with a larger scale conflict with "the upstart Frog", aka Napoleon. If not for that distraction, most likely the USA would have lost the war of 1812, and rejoined the British Empire.

Actually I was responding to this particular paragraph in your prior post,
KaiserJeep wrote:Ultimately National level politics does not effect most of us much. There really were only two wars that impacted US citizens, those being the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. The others were pretty much "don't care", except that WW2 had a huge economic impact, transforming our economy from 19th-ranked to #1. The only economic conniption worth mentioning is the Great Depression which proceeded WW2 and was cured by that war.

I was responding because you said "ONLY" the Revolutionary War and Civil War impacted "US citizens" presumably because they were the bloodiest wars on our home soil. I am trying to point out that the War of 1812 was more than bloody enough and effected a large share of the population of at least five present day states to be in the list. (Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts)

If you stretch the meaning of US citizen a bit to include European Americans born here before 1775 you should also include both King Phillips War, the last "Indian War" east of the Appalachian mountains, and the French and Indian War aka the Seven Years War. George Washington fought in that one so kind of hard to leave it out of the list.

I guess my basic point is, average Americans were a lot more effected by wars on home soil than Kaiser likes to think we were. True the Civil War was the last major war that crossed large pieces of American territory directly impacting civilians, but depending on how you slice it there were raids by Poncho Vila during WW I into New Mexico that certainly effected civilians there, and got people stirred up enough that President Wilson coukd have yad another Mexican American War if he hadn't been obsessed with Europe instead.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 21:36:57

Subjectivist wrote:I am trying to point out that the War of 1812 was more than bloody enough and effected a large share of the population of at least five present day states to be in the list. (Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts)

Add one more state--- Louisianna.

The most famous battle of the War of 1812 happened in 1815 in Louisiana when Andrew Jackson beat the Brits at the Battle of New Orleans and sent them running. This great victory made Jackson famous and changed negative US public opinion about what had been a difficult war into the myth of a glorious American triumph. Eventually it powered Andrew Jackson all the way to the White House

The Battle of New Orleans
Last edited by Plantagenet on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 21:39:54, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

The Fetid Fruits Of Empire: Too Many Wars, Too Many Enemies

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 18:05:49

If Turkey is not bluffing, U.S. troops in Manbij, Syria, could be under fire by week’s end, and NATO engulfed in the worst crisis in its history. Turkish President Erdogan said Friday his troops will cleanse Manbij of Kurdish fighters, alongside whom U.S. troops are embedded. Erdogan’s foreign minister demanded concrete steps by the U.S. to end its support of the Kurds, who control the Syrian border with Turkey east of the Euphrates, all the way to Iraq. If the Turks attack Manbij, the U.S. will face a choice: Stand by our Kurdish allies and resist the Turks, or abandon the Kurds. Should the U.S. let the Turks drive the Kurds out of Manbij and the entire Syrian border area with Turkey, as Erdogan threatens, U.S. credibility would suffer a blow from which it would not soon recover. But to stand with the Kurds and

The Fetid Fruits Of Empire: Too Many Wars, Too Many Enemies
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to North America Discussion