Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Man as nature

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Man as nature

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 00:19:56

I came across a simply genius interview filmed in the year 1971 about the crisis of civilization, and I felt I just had to share it.

https://youtu.be/ylqPkuCJPBs?t=33s

The author has gone out into the wilderness to ponder how nature differs from the ideas of man, and he comes to some quite startling conclusions which are amazing relevant to where humans find ourselves now, some 46 years later.

He comes to the conclusion at the end, that as a part of nature, we are ultimately bound by nature and therefore there is nothing we can really do to 'fix' anything. We need to let nature heal itself. That all the meddling around with solutions to this or that problem are only making things worse, and we need to develop a whole world biosphere approach to living our lives within this world; and it is something our minds are too primitive to understand. Yet it is critical that we change our minds to understand it.

Really amazing video, definitely worth the 1/2 hour of time to watch !
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Man as nature

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 04:06:57

Rod, it really doesn't matter if he was right or wrong. Just like it really doesn't matter if the AGW fanboys are right or wrong. We have to keep doing what we are doing because if we start to slow down, people start to starve.

You can make an intellectual argument that First World citizens are educated and informed enough to make wiser choices than we are making. In fact I have been hearing that argument for the four years I have been a member.

Nothing has improved in that time, it has only gotten worse. To succeed and save the planet, people would have to voluntarily starve, mostly in the Third World.

But you are right, Kudzu Apes are behaving naturally, the way nature evolved us and programmed our instincts. But I'm not optimistic about that.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Man as nature

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 04:11:47

Rod, I have to agree with KJ here. But where I really agree with Alan Watts on his video is that in the time remaining for each of us isn't it better to align yourself with all those wiggles instead of all those linear straight lines?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion