Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why do you remain at PO.COM?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Why do you remain at PO.COM?

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 18:57:35

I was reading a posting by Ibon on another thread inquiring with genuine curiosity why some us especially the more prolific posters remain on this site. I think this is a very intriguing question thus the new topic. I can only speak for myself. I lost some time ago all interest in knowing about the details and happenings of this world from the same old jaded, inaccurate and frankly disheartening vantage point of conventional orators and pundits. And especially in hearing about "solutions" which really are not.

So I remain here to converse with a diverse group of intelligent posters that at least recognize some of the limitations and quandaries that our species faces. Here is a place where at least honest and discerning topics and viewpoints are shared. I have grown somewhat attached to this site also. I am not ready to totally disengage from the world and its affairs and this is one of the few places where I can still retain some connection
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Why do you remain at PO.COM?

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 19:11:59

Good place for independent information and good links

Also, the same reason as kids use I-phones. (The dopamine hit every-time someone comments on your posts)
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 20:08:28

I believe that for me, this site replaced some of the socilization that used to occur in the workplace. I first became a telecommuter, then became interested in Peak Oil after viewing Ruppert's movie Collapse. So this place was a way to burn excess minutes while working (and waiting for a virtual meeting group to form), then an obsession in itself (because I followed the typical member profile and thought the oil peak was imminent, followed by Ruppert's concept of collapse),then finally, a replacement for some of the discussions held at work, on an overlapping but different set of topics.

Now this place is a habit, a need, and I often am here five or six times a day.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 20:10:42

Onlooker,

I’m pretty much in your space. Swallowed a red pill and now stuck with this crowd! ;)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 20:14:53

Newfie wrote:Onlooker,

I’m pretty much in your space. Swallowed a red pill and now stuck with this crowd! ;)

Not a bad crowd actually Newf. Even Cog has his good days :lol:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 10:44:18

I stay here to keep the Liberals and Conservatives from thinking they rule the Universe!
Converting as many as possible to the True Way of Libertarianism!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 12:56:35

I stay here to just to watch the next doomer prediction be blown apart by reality. The back-pedaling, the goal post shifting, and the unlimited excuses of why doom hasn't happened yet, are very entertaining.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 13:12:06

Tanada wrote:I stay here to keep the Liberals and Conservatives from thinking they rule the Universe!
Converting as many as possible to the True Way of Libertarianism!

There's a difference between a Libertarian and a libertarian. The capital "L" implies that one is a card-carrying member of an organized political party. Lack of upper case implies that one accepts the principle beliefs without becoming a formal party member. I am a libertarian, I do not think that old-style political parties or even paper ballots have a place in an online world.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 14:13:23

pstarr wrote:
Cog wrote:I stay here to just to watch the next doomer prediction be blown apart by reality. The back-pedaling, the goal post shifting, and the unlimited excuses of why doom hasn't happened yet, are very entertaining.

you are motivated by hatred, not curiosity or love. The bad blood oozes for all to see. Someone must have hurt you Cog. Someone here?

I'm just curious as to what the next goal post shifting will be in the next year, five years, and ten years. Doomers are very imaginative on this and I'm usually surprised on their machinations.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 15:20:47

Yes Cog, this is not US against you or you all. It is about at this late stage coming to grips with our human world that is at this point dysfunctional wholly and profoundly. I suggest to you this site to skim the world wide environmental devastation being wrought
desdemonadespair.net
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 15:22:19

What is truth? Decades of doomerish predictions lie moldering in the dust of time. Forgotten until dredged back up to remind the people who believed them with all their might.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 15:31:26

Well, the truth is that nobody knows the future. There are plenty of alarming symptoms of various types of doom if you care to observe them. Many people here spend much time and energy attempting to model and forecast doom, the favorite one being the end of affordable oil (that's a real good one as well). But one factor dominates all others which is human psychology. When a panic occurs over a scarce resource is absolutely critical yet impossible to model or predict.

I've decided to live in a smaller community and share it's fate. I detest cities, so the decision was not hard. This place remains a mine of information and opinions, which is rewarding and instructive. But perhaps we should consider changing the name - we appear to have had more than one "peak" in the oil supply, and yet doom has not arrived, and may not arrive for decades.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 16:00:51

Sure pstarr. I'm always interested in another dystopian prediction. Come at me bro.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 16:38:01

Peak oil is more relevant than ever. Yeah, the US has produced quite a bit of shale oil, Saudi Arabia is still pumping about the same amount, and Russia hasn't showed significant decline -- but oil is finite and more difficult to extract every year. $60 oil would have been shocking 20 years ago and we will probably be back to over $100 before this decade runs out.

This site is the only one to survive US shale. TOD and LATOC RIP.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 18:02:58

I'm just waiting around to see when the "peakers" actually call it right, the point when we see the real peak, never to be repeated global maximum in production.

It will be interesting to see if anyone can actually call the real peak correctly, as in not always saying it'll come soon and eventually be right.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion