Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy St Patrick's Day

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Happy St Patrick's Day

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 09:44:49

"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Happy St Patrick's Day

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 12:20:58

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 14:24:24

Cid - Reminds me of a long ago conversation. The Rockman is of Irish decent. But no idea about those ancient kin or any of their other decedents. Never been to Ireland but enjoyed England on several trips. But I’m very familiar with Irish history and interactions with the English. But deep inside, perhaps call it a DNA imprint, are some unpleasant feelings. Of course, not towards any living Englishman. But still.

And that conversation: in an African nation at an ops meeting for a new drilling project. An Englishman running the meeting. Rather patronizing and occasionally outright insulting…especially to my African coworkers. Not because he was English…he was just an ass full of himself. After the meeting at the coffee pot an African coworker (who I later found out thought I was an Irish native) asked what I thought of our “leader”. Without much thought just shrugged my shoulders, smiled and said “English”. He cut loose a very big laugh and said: “Yes, my country was once an English colony”. And it was long before he was born.

And I still don’t have a problem with Englishmen…unless they are an ass. But still…
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mmasters » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 21:36:43

I'm part Irish. A good number of great people have come from Ireland. I did some research on this a few months ago and the majority of the high level genetics seem to come from about 6 or so countries: Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Italy and Israel.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 08:00:36

And the band played Waltzing Matilda

Just to remind you of the sacrifice of the non-English.

The US was once in the same boat, but we won our freedom. How can we then turn our backs on the Irish?

Does it make a difference that they took longer to push them out?

It's like we didn't actually gain our freedom if we just turned around and joined our oppressors.

Our revolution was obviously subverted.

(although I loved the British invasion of the 1960's)
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 08:18:56

They all Immediately came out of the woodwork and buried this thread.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 08:34:07

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion