Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cassandras=Boy who cried wolf

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Cassandras=Boy who cried wolf

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 17:16:09

It has dawned on me how this habit of ascribing time tables to large scale doom events by some has derailed the messages being given. I suppose it happened like this in our history as well. I also can understand that those who have sought to raise the alarm about the impending doom coming tried to warn in time, so that society would not be too late in addressing the issue. But it is a fine balance in that being on time is obviously important but being wrong can be counterproductive in veering public opinion from taking the issue seriously.
I guess that is the nature of trying to predict anything that will happen at some future time. Thoughts?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Cassandras=Boy who cried wolf

Unread postby dissident » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:34:43

onlooker wrote:It has dawned on me how this habit of ascribing time tables to large scale doom events by some has derailed the messages being given. I suppose it happened like this in our history as well. I also can understand that those who have sought to raise the alarm about the impending doom coming tried to warn in time, so that society would not be too late in addressing the issue. But it is a fine balance in that being on time is obviously important but being wrong can be counterproductive in veering public opinion from taking the issue seriously.
I guess that is the nature of trying to predict anything that will happen at some future time. Thoughts?

The real problem is not the "prophets" or "doomers", it is the pathological need by the vast majority to have a warm and fuzzy sense of "everything is fine and will remain so". Instead of exerting the effort to buy a clue, they engage in hate frenzies aimed at those that bring the "wrong message" (i.e. what they do not enjoy hearing).

As for cassandras being the "boy who cried wolf". That is not true. The boy was a POS who did for fun. Cassandras may be accused of alarmism, but they can't be accused of doing it for fun.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: Cassandras=Boy who cried wolf

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 21:12:19

dissident wrote: Cassandras may be accused of alarmism, but they can't be accused of doing it for fun.

Well, the not at all credible outfits like zerohedge that constantly spin false tales of doom in our face do it for profit. That doesn't make them any better, IMO.

And the folks on this site who love to cite sources like that, even for "articles" that have no merit than to scream "doom, doom, doom!" -- you can claim none of that is for the fun of stirring things up, but I'm not buying that either.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Open Topic Discussion