Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SCOTUS Supreme Court of the United States Pt.2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: SCOTUS Supreme Court of the United States Pt.2

Unread postby C8 » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 13:07:12

Plantagenet wrote:
You're only considering surgical abortions.

Those days are long gone, except for rare cases with complications.

The abortion pill has been available in the USA for about 20 years.

This pill is available over the internet and this will safely and reliably produce an abortion in the vast majority of women.

The reality the pro-life movement will have to confront is that, due to pills and science, women can perform unlimited abortions. The USA is terrible at prohibition, we can't even stop meth, there is no way to stop this.

I have always felt the pro-life movement made a mistake by focusing on punishments instead of persuasion. The main focus should have been free birth control.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 13:52:02

I have always felt the pro-life movement made a mistake by focusing on punishments instead of persuasion.

Perhaps “education” but generally YES!

Same can be said of the abortion issue or gun contrrol.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 18:25:46

JuanP wrote:There is a reason they didn't have those rights before. Those rights are a consequence of the abundance of energy and other resources available, IMO. As resources become increasingly scarce so will rights, not just for women, but for everyone.

I respectfully disagree.

IMHO, You are far too pessimstic about human progress.

I'm afraid you've seen too many Mad Max movies.

Human rights and Women's rights are the product of a natural striving for justice and equality that exists in all people. The development of human rights is a long tradition in the west that goes back to the creation of Republics in ancient Greece and Rome. People in the west have been working to achieve personal rights and demanding their personal freedoms long before the use of fossil fuels.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 18:38:09

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: They are as extreme on their side as the pro choicers on the other that want due date partial birth abortions legal.

....as though men should have any say in it at all....

vtsnowedin wrote:Hopefully the country will come to something more sensible near the middle.

...and what might "the country" have to do with you managing your life and body, or woman managing hers?

At what point during a gestation does the fetus have the right to life?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 18:42:15

C8 wrote: The main focus should have been free birth control.

On that I agree with you but some of the extremist Pro-lifers want to ban all contraception and morning after pills.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jato0072 » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 19:20:47

What the Constitution says is that the state cannot establish a state religion.

What if it is a godless religion?

WASHINGTON — A unanimous Supreme Court ruled Monday, May 2, that Boston violated the free speech rights of a conservative activist when the city refused his request to fly a Christian flag on a flagpole outside City Hall.

Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the court that the city discriminated against the activist, Harold Shurtleff, because of his "religious viewpoint," even though it had routinely approved applications for the use of one of the three flagpoles outside City Hall that fly the U.S., Massachusetts and Boston flags.

Occasionally, the city takes down its own pennant and temporarily hoists another flag.

Maybe next month we can fly the Christian flag in place of the rainbow one.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 19:59:07

Ethical Humanism is a godless religion.

The Ethical movement, also referred to as the Ethical Culture movement, Ethical Humanism or simply Ethical Culture, is an ethical, educational, and religious movement that is usually traced back to Felix Adler (1851–1933).[2] Individual chapter organizations are generically referred to as "Ethical Societies", though their names may include "Ethical Society", "Ethical Culture Society", "Society for Ethical Culture", "Ethical Humanist Society", or other variations on the theme of "Ethical".

Ethical movement
Ethical Culture symbol.jpg
The Ethical Human logo of the Ethical Culture/Ethical Humanist movement, its most widely used symbol
Scripture
None
Headquarters
New York City
Founder
Felix Adler
Origin
Congregations
about 30
Number of followers
Less than 10,000 (2014)[1]
Official website
www.aeu.org
The Ethical movement is an outgrowth of secular moral traditions in the 19th century, principally in Europe and the United States. While some in this movement went on to organize for a secular humanist movement, others attempted to build a secular moral movement that was emphatically "religious" in its approach to developing humanist ethical codes, in the sense of encouraging congregational structures and religious rites and practices. While in the United States, these movements formed as separate education organizations (the American Humanist Association and the American Ethical Union), the American Ethical Union's British equivalents, the South Place Ethical Society and the British Ethical Union consciously moved away from a congregational model to become Conway Hall and Humanists UK respectively. Subsequent "godless" congregational movements include the Sunday Assembly, whose London chapter has used Conway Hall as a venue since 2013.

From Wiki

Once again, IMHO the court should rule abortion is a matter of religious beliefs and therefore neither the Federal or States can rule on it
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 20:09:16

Newfie wrote:
Once again, IMHO the court should rule abortion is a matter of religious beliefs and therefore neither the Federal or States can rule on it

Interesting position but has the unborn fetus had the opportunity to choose which religion they would like to adhere to?
The whole issue is full of thorny moral and ethical questions with few answers that all can agree to.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 22:57:24

vtsnowedin wrote: At what point during a gestation does the fetus have the right to life?

Ask the woman bearing it. It isn't as though you or I know anything about having some creature come to life inside us with the potential to kill us when it forces its way out. Except in the movies.

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 23:10:45

vtsnowedin wrote: At what point during a gestation does the fetus have the right to life?

Whenever the mother says it does. There are large cultural, religious and tribal reactions that kick into action once the little monster begins caterwauling for food and drink and whatnot though.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 23:13:11

vtsnowedin wrote: The whole issue is full of thorny moral and ethical questions with few answers that all can agree to.

Other than the idea that us males are in no position to tell a mother what, exactly, ought to happen to her fetus.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 02:26:34

Newfie wrote:

I'd go for that, especially if religious hospitals could refuse to perform abortions. Still, I would mourn for all the unborn children murdered.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 03:03:24

AdamB wrote:

Whenever the mother says it does. There are large cultural, religious and tribal reactions that kick into action once the little monster begins caterwauling for food and drink and whatnot though.

I'm calling Bullshit. Case in point: My Senior Director during Desert Storm. She was an outstanding Captain, a Combat Officer and functioned as my right hand "Person."

Later she became pregnant, and was reassigned. At 8 months pregnant, she took a hose and ran it from her car exhaust into the back window while parked in her garage. Both her and her unborn son died.

Earlier she was happy and looking forward to the baby. Obviously an extreme hormone imbalance is the suspect cause. Still the loss of a wanted baby haunts me.

It leads me to wonder how many late term abortions may be caused by out of control hormone imbalances, or maybe even a fight with the father.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all settle on when a fetus has rights as a sustainable human being. Maybe have special requirements for late term abortions like mandatory sterilization plus board approval.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 07:28:34

vtsnowedin wrote:
Newfie wrote:

Interesting position but has the unborn fetus had the opportunity to choose which religion they would like to adhere to?
The whole issue is full of thorny moral and ethical questions with few answers that all can agree to.

It is the religion of the Mother and what that allows, or doesn’t.

I agree we will never find agreement. So why try? It is in the realm of priests, mullahs, and other witch doctors.

That the politicians wade in tells you something about them.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 07:33:23

Carinke,

I have seen something of this in my personal life. A very different effect but a hormonal effect none the less.

Yet I think these kinds of things are very rare. And it is hard to see how any legislation would have positively effected that tragic story.

More to the point, I have never ever met or heard of a lady who gets pregnant just so she can have an abortion. There are a wide variety of measures to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. And many of those measures are common sense and may require but small compromise.

Yet few are working on the problem of unwanted pregnancies while untold hoards are screaming maniacally about their extreme position.

The problem is not abortion, or guns, or whatever. The problem is our human desire to have a good God damn roll in the mud fist fight, with teeth knocked out.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 08:54:03

careinke wrote:It leads me to wonder how many late term abortions may be caused by out of control hormone imbalances, or maybe even a fight with the father.

It leads me to wonder about the state of mental health care in the military and America at large. And in no way does your story alter who has this alien invader growing within them, the changes it induces into their body and potentially their psyche, and that neither you, me, or any other man has any right to get involved unless we are talking about a male psychologist or therapist she chooses to see to help her work through her thoughts or feelings about her decision. A male getting involved that way would be okay. But all us guys deciding? Please....

careinke wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we could all settle on when a fetus has rights as a sustainable human being.

Sure. As long as women have a absolute veto over what a bunch of testosterone laden men have to think on the topic. As long as they all settle on how the process should work for them, that sounds like a reasonable solution to me. But it isn't bullshit to let the people who could get affected by it, are affected by it, and continued to be affected by it forever after be the ones doing the deciding.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 14:31:57

Two more decisions released today. West Virginia wins vs the EPA and federal agencies can't just make up rules the congress has not authorized them to do.
The Biden administration wins in their effort to end Trumps stay in Mexico policy with the court saying it is within the duties and powers of the executive branch.
So the court as it now is configured does not just rubber stamp Republican policies but calls balls and strikes as they see them coming over the home plate of the constitution.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby C8 » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 16:31:41

AdamB wrote:
careinke wrote:It leads me to wonder how many late term abortions may be caused by out of control hormone imbalances, or maybe even a fight with the father.

It leads me to wonder about the state of mental health care in the military and America at large. And in no way does your story alter who has this alien invader growing within them, the changes it induces into their body and potentially their psyche, and that neither you, me, or any other man has any right to get involved unless we are talking about a male psychologist or therapist she chooses to see to help her work through her thoughts or feelings about her decision. A male getting involved that way would be okay. But all us guys deciding? Please....

careinke wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we could all settle on when a fetus has rights as a sustainable human being.

Sure. As long as women have a absolute veto over what a bunch of testosterone laden men have to think on the topic. As long as they all settle on how the process should work for them, that sounds like a reasonable solution to me. But it isn't bullshit to let the people who could get affected by it, are affected by it, and continued to be affected by it forever after be the ones doing the deciding.

So, you would be in favor of abortion all the way up to full term?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 19:19:21

vtsnowedin wrote:Two more decisions released today. West Virginia wins vs the EPA and federal agencies can't just make up rules the congress has not authorized them to do.
The Biden administration wins in their effort to end Trumps stay in Mexico policy with the court saying it is within the duties and powers of the executive branch.
So the court as it now is configured does not just rubber stamp Republican policies but calls balls and strikes as they see them coming over the home plate of the constitution.

I'm glad we have much better referees in the National and American Leagues.

The Court is clearly political. Even the Biden win was a narrow one: Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for a 5-4 majority.

So, a Democratic President is just a figurehead. The agencies with expertise must await the decision from Congress before they can CHANGE anything, basically. Of course, we all know that Congress rarely decides anything.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 21:35:42

jedrider wrote:
So, a Democratic President is just a figurehead. The agencies with expertise must await the decision from Congress before they can CHANGE anything, basically. Of course, we all know that Congress rarely decides anything.

Perhaps now they will, with the ball in the middle of their court,have to clearly state what they mean and want to accomplish.
They have decided things all the time, just in ways that let members avoid blame when things turn against them.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion