Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Human Predicament

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Human Predicament

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 18:41:16

I say predicament because a common definition is that it is a problem without a solution. If we take our evolution into account and how we are currently constituted, that it the source of my personal pessimism. Beyond all the actual problems and limites we are now encountering both environmentally, socially and economically. So, unless something highly unexpected happens ie. a miracle., I see a total collapse of human societies somewhere in the range of 2040 to 2060. A great die off as well. What say you?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: The Human Predicament

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 13 Nov 2018, 20:39:18

Everything is but a dream in the mind of God. Nothing is ultimately real except that which is aware of the dream, whatever that my be.

Everything but awareness is temporary, ephemeral, a standing mirage with no real substance. For all of your worries for humans, the environment, the Earth, are wasted, it's all fake. Nothing happened.

https://youtu.be/C2Q094-GrCg?t=3
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 13 Nov 2018, 20:57:15

It is true that human overshoot on this entire world is precisely defined as a predicament. However, I prefer Ibon's more correct terminology, we will have a "correction" to the overshoot population, not a "collapse".

Then you realize that the "entire world" is a box your mind is confined in. One you (once again using the tired old cliché) think outside that same box, you realize that leaving the surface of the world and colonizing space is a complete solution to the predicament in the sense that it can preserve our human species and a large number of our plant and animal food species. However, the flip side of that coin is, we still see the population correction on the Earth, with billions of humans dying on the surface of this world.

The technology of space travel is advancing faster than ever before thanks to the privatization of space industry. The difference between having a colony and failing to establish one I believe to be a matter of 20 years or so, and I make this prediction with high confidence. I believe that we have the runway left to lift off, as long as none of you Luddites insist upon pulling the throttle back. Thus I find myself in the strange position of supporting BAU, and advocating that we keep our doomed high energy lifestyles going as long as possible, by "kicking the can" again and again.

Pump that oil, dig that coal, and burn, baby, burn. Anything you want as long as you build the spacecraft that lift us off this limited planet into space, which has the virtually unlimited supplies of materials and energy to enable Trillions of humans to live.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 14 Nov 2018, 01:10:46

Rod_Cloutier wrote:Everything is but a dream in the mind of God. Nothing is ultimately real except that which is aware of the dream, whatever that my be.

Everything but awareness is temporary, ephemeral, a standing mirage with no real substance. For all of your worries for humans, the environment, the Earth, are wasted, it's all fake. Nothing happened.

https://youtu.be/C2Q094-GrCg?t=3

If there were any evidence at all that "God" exists, you might have a point. As it is, why not just claim it's a collective dream of millions of purple unicorns that poop happiness? That one sounds a lot more fun.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 14 Nov 2018, 01:21:55

KaiserJeep wrote:The technology of space travel is advancing faster than ever before thanks to the privatization of space industry. The difference between having a colony and failing to establish one I believe to be a matter of 20 years or so, and I make this prediction with high confidence. I believe that we have the runway left to lift off, as long as none of you Luddites insist upon pulling the throttle back. Thus I find myself in the strange position of supporting BAU, and advocating that we keep our doomed high energy lifestyles going as long as possible, by "kicking the can" again and again.

To me, it's about information. And in the information age, that is expanding beyond our ability to comprehend, re space. Space telescopes are collecting a LOT more data than we can look at (this is an area where A/I might help a lot in the future). And those telescopes are getting more disparate, more effective, and far more numerous.

No need to go running around getting people killed and using sh*t-tons of energy until we find something WORTH exploring up close. And then we've shown that unmanned probes can be pretty awesome, given what NASA has done. (And no doubt in my mind, private companies will be able to do such missions far more efficiently).

And then, if we REALLY, REALLY think we've found something we need to send people to (say, first contact with probable little green men), I like Charles Stross' idea (Accelerando) of sending advanced AI's that act a lot like humans, but fit in a capsule smaller than a softball. Takes a LOT less energy to accelerate that up to "near" light speed (and then slow it down again) for the trip.

Unless we learn to get smart enough or unselfish enough not to just waste and pillage the resource of any colony we build (clone of Earth behavior), I don't think we should run around building up colonies on a philosophical basis.

I realize that if people believe this will somehow "save" humanity, most will be willing to pay any cost, and the hell with what is "right" etc, despite what we did to our own planet.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 14 Nov 2018, 03:33:32

OS, again with the inside-the-box thinking. You automaticly think that space is the journey between planets and planets are where we live. There almost certainly is no other planet where humans can live in this solar system, and little chance we will send people to other stars for hundreds of years.

But living in artificial satellites, space colonies - that we can easily do, with the virtually unlimited raw materials and energy in space. Design your own simplified ecology, import the animals and plants from Earth, and manage it and make corrections with any needed inputs of almost free energy. Neat, orderly, controlled environments.

Planets by comparison are dirty, chaotic, and unmanageable, with random weather, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, etc. Usefull only as a source of animal and plant DNA.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion