Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Should marijuana be removed from the federal narcotics list?

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Poll ended at Tue 22 Jan 2019, 18:42:45

Yes Its only common sense
86%
No you silly doper. Are you a communist?
14%
Don't care either way
No votes

Total votes : 7

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 18:42:45

I favor removing marijuana from the list of scheduled narcotics. Although I do not favor people using drugs or alcohol to excess, its time to end the charade. If Republicans were smart they would make this bi-partisan.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/ ... r-420/amp/
In a hat tip to marijuana culture, lawmakers on Capitol Hill have officially reserved the number H.R. 420 for a bill that would dramatically change federal cannabis laws.

420, of course, is a special number for marijuana enthusiasts, who celebrate the plant extra hard every April 20.

The new bill filed in the House on Wednesday by Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) is titled the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act. If passed, it would remove cannabis from the federal Controlled Substances Act.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Should marijuana be removed from the federal narcotics l

Unread postby mmasters » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 19:11:10

I think they should legalize it at the federal level for research purposes but it should be left up to the states whether or not to legalize it for medical or recreational use.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 19:48:56

I agree with this approach. The states should decide this. The federal prohibition impacts gun ownership which is why I want it removed from their jurisdiction.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 13 Jan 2019, 16:48:18

mmasters wrote:I think they should legalize it at the federal level for research purposes but it should be left up to the states whether or not to legalize it for medical or recreational use.

In an ideal world, that would be great. But if the feds don't legalize it for both, then you have people in, say Colorado, legally smoking pot for recreation, and the possibility of being arrested and prosecuted under federal laws.

I'd be fine with the states deciding (if people could be confident the Feds wouldn't go after them), as long as there were some sort of codified procedures for dealing with intoxication limits for driving, much like drunken driving laws.

I don't care what drugs other people take, until they start endangering other people or their property due to their effects.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 08:46:59

Driving under the influence laws already exist in some if not most states. Requires a blood test last I knew. I observed a related court action, that was almost 40 years ago. You have the same problem with people taking prescription and even OTC drugs. That warning about not driving and operating heavy machinery.

If I take an antihistamine I’m as good a dead for a few hours. I can’t operate my eyelids let alone machinery. OTOH they have almost zero effect on my Wife.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Medical Issues Forum