Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Should Short Be Welcome Here

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Should Short Be Welcome here?

Poll ended at Thu 28 Feb 2019, 20:36:10

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 16

Should Short Be Welcome Here

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 20:36:10

Short thinks I'm "projecting" to suggest that he shouldn't be welcome here. I feel I speak for the majority, but let's find out, shall we?

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Re: Should Short Be Welcome Here

Unread postby charmcitysking » Fri 22 Feb 2019, 09:37:19

Yes.

I’ve indirectly learned so much about not only petroleum extraction and geology but the oil industry and economics in general because of Shortonoil.

His half-truths or incorrect statements are often corrected by very knowledgeable industry insiders (Rockman, Rockdoc) or other posters with wide breadth of knowledge about oil and other issues we discuss here. I’m more of a lurker than a contributor but I’ve read these forums daily for a number of years now and it’s immeasurable how my understanding of the world has developed because of it.

His contributions to this site produce a very valuable discourse in my opinion (although it is somewhat diluted due to the adhoms). But I still appreciate it and feel all the wiser for having these forums at my disposal.

I do think he should stop pretending he did not make a wager with KublaiKhan. Even if he doesn’t pay it, he needs to acknowledge he made the bet. It’s embarrassing.
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 22 Feb 2019, 15:41:10

The idea of voting out (blackballing)a poster due to the fact that you disagree with his opinions is a very dangerous path to walk, it least to sterile "group-think" and suppresses opposing opinions from being debated.

There are so many discussion forums out there that have become like political parties where contributors have to tow the party line or leave.

Is that where this site is headed?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 22 Feb 2019, 16:20:52

dolanbaker wrote:The idea of voting out (blackballing)a poster due to the fact that you disagree with his opinions is a very dangerous path to walk, it least to sterile "group-think" and suppresses opposing opinions from being debated.

There are so many discussion forums out there that have become like political parties where contributors have to tow the party line or leave.

Is that where this site is headed?

How about him paying his debt?

How about him acting somewhat an adult (as per the COC) instead of calling people names and making outrageous ad-hom attacks very frequently, as though he's a grade-schooler, or even pre-schooler?

I welcome differing opinions. I welcome various, strenuous arguments, when called for.

I don't welcome infantile behavior, which goes on for years, as various bans of folks like he and pstarr have verified, IMO.

Please, let's give the people willing to engage in thoughtful dialogue here on wildly disparate topics, even when we may totally disagree, some credit -- when the vast majority of the time they can behave in a reasonable manner. (We all get irritated and might briefly say something less than rational (including yours truly) -- I'm talking about systematic, frequent bad behavior here.)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 22 Feb 2019, 16:56:25

How about him paying his debt?

Well I say more fool the people who make and accept bets with randomers on the internet.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 22 Feb 2019, 19:18:10

Onlooker paid off his bet with me. I could not have forced him to. But some have honor and some do not.

A guy who welches on a bet is a scumbag. No way around that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 00:36:43

My view is he says incredibly dumb stuff, poorly researched and basically no background in most of the blather he goes on about.
That being said the value he brings is kind of like those old Disney episodes with Jiminy Cricket. Maybe you need to be my age to remember but there was a whole serious of "I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103" In those episodes, they always started out depicting some idiot doing something completely stupid and then corrected it. It's a learning experience....OK..here is an idiot, this is why, don't say the same stuff and you will be OK.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 13:46:01

I don't pay much attention to Short's posts so I'm agnostic on their quality.

However, I agree with Dolan that censoring or blocking posters due to their point of view would be contrary to the spirit of this site. I'm sure we all can think of other posters whose views we disagree with, but there are so few posters at this site now that I think a better approach would be for people to adopt a patient and tolerant attitude towards those benighted souls whose views don't mirror their own.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sun 24 Feb 2019, 14:22:15

I voted yes. I belive his theory needs some serious fine tuning but basically he is right about the situation we are in.
Yonnipun
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dissident » Sun 24 Feb 2019, 14:36:23

Yonnipun wrote:I voted yes. I belive his theory needs some serious fine tuning but basically he is right about the situation we are in.

Given the dearth of substantial theories in this field, all the personal attacks and "pooh pooh"ing are obscene. Let the critics offer up their own theories. If shortonoil is not welcome, then plenty of others are not either. The lynch mob does not get to decide.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion