Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Thread Content and Participation

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Thread Content and Participation

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 24 Nov 2020, 20:12:58

OK, I am plagiarizing this from someone else who plagiarized it from he doesn’t know where.

Seemed vaguely appropriate to here.

I'll just leave this here (can't remember where I got it) ...

ESSAY I. THE LIFE CYCLE OF ONLINE DISCUSSIONS:
Every online discussion group seems to go through the same cycle. Below are the six stages in the life cycle of an online discussion group, with a fateful fork in the road at level six. Also included are typical posts for each stage from the online "Pizza Forum" (mythical):

1. Initial enthusiasm: People introduce themselves and gush a lot about how wonderful it is to find kindred souls.
Pizza Forum: "You like pizza?! I like pizza, TOO! This is so great."

2. Evangelism: People moan about how few folks are posting messages and brainstorm recruitment strategies.
Pizza Forum: "We could make this the best place for discussing pizza on the whole Internet. I bet there are lots of people like us who love pizza!"

3. Growth: More and more people join. More and more lengthy threads develop. Occasional off-topic threads pop up.
Pizza Forum: "I just can't believe how many people love pizza. I had no idea that Richard Nixon liked garlic pizza. And I'm not sure I needed to know that."

4. Community: Lots of threads, some more relevant than others. Lots of information and advice are exchanged. Experts help other experts as well as less experienced colleagues. Friendships develop. People tease each other. Newcomers are welcomed with generosity and patience. Everyone --newbie and expert alike-- feels comfortable asking questions, suggesting answers, and sharing opinions.
Pizza Forum: "I have never loved pizza so much in my life. Thank you so much for that terrific recipe for thin crust! That story about the historical origins of mozzarella cheese was fascinating."

5. Discomfort with diversity: The number of messages increases dramatically. Not every thread is fascinating to every reader. People start complaining about the signal-to-noise ratio. Person X threatens to quit if *other* people don't limit discussion to person X's pet topic. Person Y agrees with person X. Person Z tells X and Y to lighten up. More bandwidth is wasted complaining about off-topic threads than is used for the threads themselves. Everyone gets annoyed.
Pizza Forum: "I really could not care less about the historical origins of mozzarella cheese. I am sick and tired of these self-important 'pizza geeks'. This group is supposed to be about loving pizza, and now I'm starting to hate pizza. What happened??"

6a.Smug complacency and stagnation: The purists flame everyone who asks an "old" question or responds with humor to a serious post. Newbies are rebuffed. Traffic drops to a doze-producing level limited to a few minor issues; all interesting discussions happen by private email and are limited to a few participants. The purists spend lots of time self-righteously congratulating each other for suppressing off-topic threads...
Pizza Forum: "Again? Look, we have already reached a group consensus on the mozzarella question. Please consult the archives. Can we get back to the history of dough-shaping please..."

OR
6b.Maturity: A few people quit in a huff. The rest of the participants stay near stage 4, with stage 5 popping up briefly every few weeks. Long-term members may find that they ignore more messages than they read. But the community lives contentedly ever after.
Pizza Forum: "I still like pizza."
(with thanks to the original author of the "Life Cycle of a List")

---------------------

ESSAY II. An essay on general etiquette issues for online discussion communities entitled
DON'T BE A JERK:

The Fundamental Principle:
"Don't be a jerk" is the fundamental rule of all online social spaces. Every other policy for getting along is a special case of it. Although nobody in this community is empowered to ban or block somebody for being a jerk (as this would be an instance of being a jerk!), it is still a bad idea to be one. So don't do it.

No definition of being a jerk is being provided here. This is deliberate. If a significant number of reasonable people suggest, whether bluntly or politely, that you are being a jerk, the odds are good that you are not entirely in the right.

Being right about an issue does not mean you're not being a jerk. Jerks CAN be right — but they're still jerks; if there's something in what they say that is worth hearing, it goes unheard, because no one likes listening to jerks. It doesn't matter how right they are.

COPING with Being Called a Jerk:
If you've been labeled as a jerk, especially if you have been told this by several people in a particular community, it might be wise to consider the possibility that it is true. If you suspect that you may be a jerk, the first step is to become aware of it. Ask yourself what behavior might be causing this perception. Try changing your behavior and your mode of presentation. In particular, identify the harsh words in your communications and replace them with softer ones.

Honestly examine your motivations. Are you here to contribute constructively? Or is your goal really to find fault, get your views across, or be the one in control? Perhaps secretly inside you even enjoy the thrill of a little confrontation. This may not make you a bad person, but to everyone else, you become an impediment. People get frustrated, rancor ensues, the atmosphere changes, and the whole community suffers. Are you here to give, or to take?

If appropriate, publicly apologize to anyone to whom you may have appeared to be a jerk. It's okay; this won't make you seem weak. On the contrary, people will take notice of your willingness to cooperate and will almost always meet your efforts with increased respect.

Telling someone "Don't be a jerk" can easily be a jerk-move in itself, so don't use this criticism lightly. This creates an obvious conundrum.

It Takes TWO:
It takes two to have a disagreement. You can't argue with yourself. If you're involved in a dispute that has become emotional or rude, blame yourself first. It's always a good place to start. If after careful reflection you sincerely believe that you are not at fault, then your best bet may be to step back for a few days.

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Thread Content and Participation

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 24 Nov 2020, 21:37:43

I think there is a lot of truth in this. I lurked for a long time and when i finally jumped in I think PO was at around its peak or maybe just past it. The place was hopping with tons of new posts all the time on a huge range of topics you could read or ignore. Now I post an update on the Volcano thread about an eruption and what response do I get? One snarky comment about seismologists getting sued!
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 25 Nov 2020, 14:42:49

There is quite a bit of truth to the opening post and in addition I think there is a growing awareness that the novelty of social media and forums is getting old. In the early days it was a novelty to find a group who shared your specific views and be able to dissect and analyze. There arrives a point though when you realize that all of this interpretation and analysis has not traction in real organic life. There is no transmission driving anything tangible forward. It is cerebral empty and non productive. And after a while you recognize it for the immense waste of time that it is.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 25 Nov 2020, 18:41:52

Ibon wrote:I think there is a growing awareness that the novelty of social media and forums is getting old. In the early days it was a novelty to find a group who shared your specific views and be able to dissect and analyze.

100% right. And people also had a certain freedom to talk about things like peak oil on the internet that your "real-life" friends and family might think are kookie. Its a lot of fun to talk about the end of the world due to peak oil or climate change or system collapse or drought whatever the disaster of the day happens to be and peakoil.com provided the perfect place to do it.

Ibon wrote: There arrives a point though when you realize that all of this interpretation and analysis has not traction in real organic life. There is no transmission driving anything tangible forward. It is cerebral empty and non productive. And after a while you recognize it for the immense waste of time that it is.

The people who are still posting here are obviously getting something out of it. Personally, I think of this as my "guys talking at the diner" hangout.

You go to any small town and there will be clumps of local guys sitting together for breakfast at the diner or sitting together to have coffee or whatever, and just hanging out and talking about things.

Personally, I think thats what we're doing here now. Just talking about the news of the day and chatting together.

And there's nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

AND some times its still a lot fun.

PeakOil.com is my "Laugh of the day" spot.......I can log in just about any time and find some post that is so ludicrous it makes me laugh out loud.

So thanks everyone for the conversation and thanks for the occasional laughs.

CHEERS!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 25 Nov 2020, 19:25:09

The Tim Hortons of the internet!

(Canadians will get it.)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 26 Nov 2020, 17:43:04

Newfie wrote:The Tim Hortons of the internet!

(Canadians will get it.)

Yikes! They invaded Michigan about 20 years ago and I was not impressed, I prefer Dunkin!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Open Topic Discussion