Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 01 Jun 2021, 19:06:59

What do they think? that they are going to give 100 million people a thousand bucks and that will make a difference? :lol:
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aadbrd » Tue 01 Jun 2021, 21:01:36

And here is another of Biden's reversals of Trump's policies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... fe-refuge/

aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 02 Jun 2021, 17:05:59

Yes I support Biden on the arctic oil move.

Juan,

I did not suggest any such thing, if I am the one you are talking to.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 02 Jun 2021, 19:42:26

Newfie wrote:Yes I support Biden on the arctic oil move.

Juan,

I did not suggest any such thing, if I am the one you are talking to.

Newfie, my comment was not addressed to you, personally; it was a comment on the measure itself, and not your comment about it. I did not mean to imply that you suggested any such thing. I was just saying that, IMO, $100 billion is peanuts and will not solve anything.

I am also happy about Biden's arctic oil move, too. I am quite happy with Biden so far, as a matter of fact. He hasn't done much that I care about, and that is a good thing. And, most of what little he's done is undoing what Trump did, which, IMO, is a good thing thing, too. I hope he keeps doing little of global relevance. Sometimes, doing little or doing nothing are the best options. I hope he stays focused on trans rights and other domestic issues for a long time, hopefully, for as long as he remains president.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 16:05:59

Apparently this week (June 5th) they have counted the votes and realize that the Democrats are not unanimous on many of Biden's budget and tax proposals or on ending the filibuster.
So now things like raising the corporate tax rate are fading away very fast and they can now get down to deciding what spending is worth the money plus the interest.
Sausage making in progress so we will have to wait to see the final product but cooler heads appear to have prevailed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 16:15:46

On the Alaska drilling ban: I think that is just handing billions of your dollars to Iran and Russia. There is a certain point where the declining production from the North slope will not be sufficient to keep the pipeline operational. Once shut down it will be very expensive to refurbish it and get it back on line.
On the other hand that oil and gas will still be in the ground long after Biden is gone and it will probably be worth a lot more per barrel then, then now.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 18:12:53

VT,

Yes to all that. OTOH keeping oil in the ground is the inly way to fight climate change. And that is why I like his actions.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 19:18:40

Newfie wrote:VT,

Yes to all that. OTOH keeping oil in the ground is the inly way to fight climate change. And that is why I like his actions.

Keeping our oil in the ground while the Russians and Iranians pump theirs out with little to no environmental precautions will actually do more harm then good for the climate issue.
I am for the switch to electric vehicles but it needs to be done at the rate that they can be built and renewable power generation and distribution infrastructure can actually be built to charge them.
Shutting down drilling on US lands now is getting the cart before the horse and that will prove to be a big mistake.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 21:50:02

Hummm, quite a bit there i disagree with. Not unusual.

Carry on. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 06 Jun 2021, 01:23:49

Newfie wrote:Hummm, quite a bit there i disagree with. Not unusual.

Carry on. :-D

I am not surprised. If we totally agreed on everything there would be no point in further discussion.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby aadbrd » Sun 06 Jun 2021, 11:51:30

Newfie wrote:keeping oil in the ground is the inly way to fight climate change.

That seems to be the last thing on VT's mind. It's all a geopolitical zero-sum game with him and the spice must flow.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 06 Jun 2021, 12:25:36

Sen. Manchin just said he won't support the Ds radical attempt to impose federal control over all state voting processes

Oopsies......there goes another part of the Ds unconstitutional power grab down the drain.

Somewhere someone is asking Joe Biden to count backwards from 100 by 7s.....and Joe can't do it.

Hoo-RAY for Joe Manchin! The lion of the Senate!

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 06 Jun 2021, 14:03:19

aadbrd wrote:

That seems to be the last thing on VT's mind. It's all a geopolitical zero-sum game with him and the spice must flow.

You complain about others attacking you yet you have very acerbic tongue in your own posts. How about modeling polite behavior. Be the change. :badgrin:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 06 Jun 2021, 14:44:19

aadbrd wrote:

If the spice you refer to is energy You are quite correct that I realize that it must flow or millions that depend on it will die.
We can change the source or type of energy we produce and consume over time but to cut off one reliable source before a reliable replacement is actually in place would be an existential error.
Why do you not realize that as well?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby aadbrd » Mon 07 Jun 2021, 12:42:59

vtsnowedin wrote:it must flow or millions that depend on it will die.

If the flow doesn't slow then there's no impetus to stop, since like I said, nobody gives a rat's ass about the climate. But your argument is right up there with Chevron's blackmail-like "we depend on oil" Human Energy commercials. Just couldn't say it any better than a bigoil PR exec. I would expect nothing more from the puzzling cognitive dissonance of the peak oil remnant.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 07 Jun 2021, 15:41:26

aardb,

That post makes no sense to me, especially this

If the flow doesn't slow then there's no impetus to stop,

That sounds like you are arguing fossils fuels, or perhaps energy, is limitless.

Please try to rewrite it to clarify your point.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aadbrd » Tue 08 Jun 2021, 10:34:18

Newfie wrote:That sounds like you are arguing fossils fuels, or perhaps energy, is limitless.

That sounds like you are arguing that somehow depletion will solve our addiction to fossil fuels. Obviously that hasn't happened yet and the longer it goes on the worse it is for the environment (and our ability to adapt). As the Hirsch report documented decades ago, we have to try to wean ourselves off oil before we face "the big one" supply crisis. Clinging tooth and nail to every last drop will just lead to the worst possible outcome.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 08 Jun 2021, 16:21:52

aadbrd wrote:
Newfie wrote:That sounds like you are arguing fossils fuels, or perhaps energy, is limitless.

That sounds like you are arguing that somehow depletion will solve our addiction to fossil fuels. Obviously that hasn't happened yet and the longer it goes on the worse it is for the environment (and our ability to adapt). As the Hirsch report documented decades ago, we have to try to wean ourselves off oil before we face "the big one" supply crisis. Clinging tooth and nail to every last drop will just lead to the worst possible outcome.

The Hirsch report was first published in February 2005 and revised in 2007. That is not decades ago, as you mistakenly claim. Some of us were already studying these issues back then. Little wonder you are still on my very short list of blocked people on this forum; every time I read one of your comments, you are wrong. Your noise to signal ratio couldn't possibly be any higher.

Also, if you think we are going to wean ourselves off anything before running into supply problems, you truly lack the most essential grasp of human nature.
Last edited by JuanP on Tue 08 Jun 2021, 16:47:49, edited 1 time in total.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 08 Jun 2021, 16:32:18

aadbrd wrote:

You are trying very hard to create a fight where one does not exist.

Do you have a point to make?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aadbrd » Wed 09 Jun 2021, 14:27:53

Newfie wrote:You are trying very hard to create a fight where one does not exist.
Do you have a point to make?

I feel just as much that you're not engaging and evading, Newfie. I do not want to waste more of my time with this either if this is how you're going to handle it.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion