Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

Postby Revi » Sun 24 Oct 2021, 16:36:33

The whole peak oil message is completely lost on both Democrats and Republicans. I tried to get some interested in it. Some Dems paid lip service, and remember Roscoe Bartlett? He was a Republican who tried to get people to listen. They even had a peak oil caucus but it went away. I think the popular thing nowadays is to dismiss us as doomsayers. It's getting pretty obvious now, but I'm pretty sure they'll blame it on the greenies as usual.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Postby Newfie » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 08:31:37

Revi,

If by “greenies” you mean the Green New Deal crowd they are contributing to the problem by pressing the concept we can build our way out. We need To learn to live with what we have, and neither party is supporting that idea.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Newfie » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 08:55:12

Decent article in vox.

“IT’S NOT ABOUT RENUNCIATION, BUT CHOICE”
As born consumers, we’re faced with a tricky, paralyzing conundrum: Any collective effort will be futile against the scale of climate change, so why should regular people be tasked with modifying their behaviors when the system that runs global commerce is so ubiquitous?

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/22725031/ ... y-shopping

And you notice Biden falling over himself to show he is trying to solve the supply chain problem. And the R’s blaming him for not being successful.

One brave soul, don’t recall who, rightfully called it a “no rich persons problem”.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 13:37:55

Meanwhile Joe's approval rating continues it's steep decline. Currently 50.6% Disapprove vs. 43.7% Approve. At this rate the Republicans might gain eleven Senate seats in 2022 giving them a filibuster proof majority.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/bi ... al-rating/
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Newfie » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 18:41:26

The R’s still have time to screw it up.

IIRC back in Obamas term the D press was gloating it was the end of the R party. That they could never overcome their deficient.

The winds change frequently.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JuanP » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 19:46:46

vtsnowedin wrote:Meanwhile Joe's approval rating continues it's steep decline. Currently 50.6% Disapprove vs. 43.7% Approve. At this rate the Republicans might gain eleven Senate seats in 2022 giving them a filibuster proof majority.

Yet, I read that more than 90% of Democrats STILL support Biden! I find it very hard to understand that! Biden's a f@#$ing train wreck!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Postby Revi » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 20:32:43

JuanP wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Meanwhile Joe's approval rating continues it's steep decline. Currently 50.6% Disapprove vs. 43.7% Approve. At this rate the Republicans might gain eleven Senate seats in 2022 giving them a filibuster proof majority.

Yet, I read that more than 90% of Democrats STILL support Biden! I find it very hard to understand that! Biden's a f@#$ing train wreck!

He beats the alternative. We all know that from here on whoever's at the controls it's going to end in a train wreck. At least he doesn't tweet.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Postby Plantagenet » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 20:39:57

JuanP wrote:

People really identify strongly with their own political parties.

Most Rs backed Trump no matter what when he was president , and most Ds are going to back Biden no matter what.

Its a pattern that repeats itself over and over again through history.

In medieval Florence you had the Guelphs and Ghibillini political parties battling it out, and in Venice there were local neighborhood militias that would battle on chosen days to see who controlled the bridges over the canals. It was same thing in city after city all over Italy.

Political parties fought it out in the streets of cities across medieval Italy.

Partisanship reached an abosolutely insane level before that in Byzantium, where Constantinople was wracked for centuries by fights between the "blues" and the "greens"----two political factions in Constantinople. In 532 after a chariot race the two factions started fighting and destroyed about half the city.

Nika riots in 532 AD destroy Constantinople

The good news right now is that the Independents in the US....people who are neither Ds nor Rs----have turned strongly against Biden. With any luck the Ds will lose badly in the elections in 2022 and we'll have an R Congress that can act as a check on the nuttiness and dishonesty of Joe Biden for the last two years of his presidency.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby JuanP » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 21:49:28

Thanks for that, Plantagenet! I guess it is in our nature to be this way. Maybe its part of our tribal instincts?
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Postby vtsnowedin » Mon 25 Oct 2021, 21:54:31

Well I know it is a stretch to think The GOP could take complete control as there are only fourteen Democrat seats in play vs. twenty GOP seats with five known retirements. But if Biden's polls sink ever lower those twenty GOP seats are probably safe if they put any viable candidate forward.
Then it becomes a mater of the quality of the Republican candidates they put up against the sitting Democrats in those fourteen seats. It would take a lot of poll drop and voter dissatisfaction to unseat say Schumer in New York or Van Hollen in Maryland but stranger things have happened.
To avoid this defeat the Biden administration has to get something done right in the next year but it appears they have no clue about how to do anything right.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Plantagenet » Tue 26 Oct 2021, 21:31:32

vtsnowedin wrote: To avoid .... defeat the Biden administration has to get something done right in the next year but it appears they have no clue about how to do anything right.

Good point.

No doubt Biden's base thinks Biden is doing a great job.... but how many people who aren't blind D partisans are going to support Biden's policies of flooding the US with illegal immigrants, promoting massive inflation in food and energy costs, doing nothing about supply chain disruptions, and hiring people based on their skin color and gender.

And then you've got the fact that Biden is in cognitive decline. The Ds got away with claiming Biden was 100% mentally fit in 2000, but how many times has Biden lied and/or said ridiculous things since then that the White House has to "walk back". Even Biden constantly says his handlers don't want him to answer questions from the press anymore. He's an international embarrassment.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby Newfie » Wed 27 Oct 2021, 08:24:41

International embarrassments seem dime a dozen.
Hillary
Donald
Joe

All seem to neatly fit that slot.

Maybe we need a new way of selecting Presidents.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Wed 27 Oct 2021, 12:59:45

Newfie wrote:Maybe we need a new way of selecting Presidents.

Perhaps having to have an IQ of 100 or better to cast a vote? :badgrin:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby careinke » Wed 27 Oct 2021, 13:40:42

vtsnowedin wrote:

So, we should not allow half the population to vote? What an awesome way to run a democracy. LETS DO IT!!

How about only landowners are allowed to vote, especially on taxes? :)

PEACE
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Newfie » Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:35:35

My past suggestion was to do a random draft of 7 or 9 ex-governors who would he willing to serve. Do the draft on Labor Day. Have a elimination vote 1st Tuesday of Oct. Top 3 contenders go to the run off on first Tuesday in November. Incumbent gets to run in the elimination round and if he makes it he gets to ho to the final round.

There are generally over 50 eligible Governors. The pool and the random nature and the quick time frame would make it much harder to buy them. They all have some kind of executive experience and a track record to run on, so that makes the quick election more reasonable.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Wed 27 Oct 2021, 17:44:53

careinke wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

So, we should not allow half the population to vote? What an awesome way to run a democracy. LETS DO IT!!

PEACE

Why not have the smartest half of the population make the decisions?
Of course there might be a few sitting Senators and congressmen along with some news broadcasters that might not make the cut.

Well way back when that was the way they did it and property taxes were only accessed against those that owned property. Seemed fair enough as the property owners (and their families) benefited from the tax expenditure so were paying "their fair share" .
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby careinke » Thu 28 Oct 2021, 02:54:54

vtsnowedin wrote:
careinke wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

PEACE

Why not have the smartest half of the population make the decisions?
Of course there might be a few sitting Senators and congressmen along with some news broadcasters that might not make the cut.

Well way back when that was the way they did it and property taxes were only accessed against those that owned property. Seemed fair enough as the property owners (and their families) benefited from the tax expenditure so were paying "their fair share" .

You just want the Asians to run everything. :badgrin:
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Newfie » Thu 28 Oct 2021, 08:35:32

I gave this article a brief review, it deserves a closer reading.

Bottom line is that BOTH radical wings are dangerous. I also liked the analysis of Chapell’s latest NetFlix special.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 46639.html
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dissident » Thu 28 Oct 2021, 10:27:23

Newfie wrote:I gave this article a brief review, it deserves a closer reading.

Bottom line is that BOTH radical wings are dangerous. I also liked the analysis of Chapell’s latest NetFlix special.

Radicalization of one end of the spectrum leads to radicalization of the other end. This was apparent in Germany in the 1920s and basically everywhere else that had one side taking over. I would be more worried about the Demonrat Party's brazen attempt to impose one party rule on America. It is the sole reason for the radicalization of US society. The Republican Party is a soft and worthless pushover that has not done its part to counteract the Demonrats. It will be up to the non woke-tard part of the US public to fight for its rights that are in the process of being taken away in the name of depraved "progress".

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status ... 8960886785

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-par ... 40823.html

Obummer appears to be the actual President of the US. Biden is a dementia patient sock puppet.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 28 Oct 2021, 15:34:14

dissident wrote:
Newfie wrote:I gave this article a brief review, it deserves a closer reading.

Radicalization of one end of the spectrum leads to radicalization of the other end.
This was apparent in Germany in the 1920s and basically everywhere else that had one side taking over. I would be more worried about the Demonrat Party's brazen attempt to impose one party rule on America. It is the sole reason for the radicalization of US society. The Republican Party is a soft and worthless pushover that has not done its part to counteract the Demonrats. It will be up to the non woke-tard part of the US public to fight for its rights that are in the process of being taken away in the name of depraved "progress".

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status ... 8960886785

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-par ... 40823.html

Obummer appears to be the actual President of the US. Biden is a dementia patient sock puppet.

IMO, your case would have been much better if you hadn't been so blatantly biased against the left, including using childish name calling. BTW, I would have said the same thing, if you'd been left leaning and using childish name calling about the right.

Re the statement in red (my font for emphasis), I think you make a great point. BTW, the GOP in various dark red states seems intent on ensuring their side wins, no matter what -- so how is THAT reasonable?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion