Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

Postby Plantagenet » Fri 12 Nov 2021, 01:25:28

Newfie wrote:Plant,

For your reading pleasure.

https://gcaptain.com/white-house-fact-s ... waterways/

And then a glimpse at what they REALLY think.

https://gcaptain.com/gene-seroka-nation ... me-policy/

I have my own very different thoughts in the matter.

Thanks Newfie

It was very interesting reading the White House "happy talk" document and then reading an opinion from someone who is actually working in the shipping biz and therefore knows something about it.

Funny how the two viewpoints were completely opposite.

If you have some thought about what is going on with the shipping mess and the supply chain breakdowns, then please share them.

THX.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby Newfie » Fri 12 Nov 2021, 08:37:21

Plant;

My GUESS is that this is the Limits to Growth kicking in. The maximum manageable complexity has been exceeded. All proposed fixes are just adding more complexity.

We need to:
Stop consuming so much crap, but that then effects the Consumerist commercial model. So we need to retreat from Consumerism, which will derail the global economic program.

We also need to produce things closer to home. This too will screw with the global economic program. But it will also increase tensions between countries.

The “fix” would be for the big 20 to sit down and cone up with a peaceful way to start unwinding the global markets so that each country is more self sufficient while still providing necessary international trade. They need to walk back from the eternal growth model and adopt a “greater personal happiness” model.

Zip point nil chances if any of that happening.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby yellowcanoe » Fri 12 Nov 2021, 10:15:52

Newfie wrote:Plant;

My GUESS is that this is the Limits to Growth kicking in. The maximum manageable complexity has been exceeded. All proposed fixes are just adding more complexity.

It's hard for people to grasp that complexity is a problem even in a much smaller situation. In my workgroup we don't seem to be able to get that point across to our manager. He is a very smart individual but we have a finite number of people in our group and recent hires don't necessarily bring the same skill level as those they replaced. We should be trying to reduce the complexity of the IT systems/services we support so we can be more focused on that which is truly important and unique to our faculty.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Postby Newfie » Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:36:07

Right, concentrating the fundamentals.

What makes it worse is need to keep growing, which increases complexity.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Sat 13 Nov 2021, 17:55:13

Newfie wrote:The “fix” would be for the big 20 to sit down and cone up with a peaceful way to start unwinding the global markets so that each country is more self sufficient while still providing necessary international trade. They need to walk back from the eternal growth model and adopt a “greater personal happiness” model.

As long as the human population is growing then the growth model will be valid.
I do expect recent events to make countries less willing to become dependent on a foreign supplier for any essential commodity from oil/gas to computer chips.
Greater personal happiness only happens when there is food on the table and the house is warm in winter and cool in summer.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Newfie » Sun 14 Nov 2021, 19:35:26

The US only grows due to immigration, and I suspect the real reason behind illegal immigration is to support growth. D and R.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Sun 14 Nov 2021, 21:49:01

Newfie wrote:The US only grows due to immigration, and I suspect the real reason behind illegal immigration is to support growth. D and R.

Without the growth in population we get from immigration we would not 'Need' growth though a little growth unneeded would be nice.
The fact the economists feel we 'need growth' comes from the fact that all of their history, research,and facts come from the last four centuries where a growing population was a constant as valid as the sun rising in the east.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Newfie » Sun 14 Nov 2021, 22:44:46

I sense economists are, in general, not very world wise.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby careinke » Sun 14 Nov 2021, 22:50:15

Newfie wrote:I sense economists are, in general, not very world wise.

Just the Keynesian economists. :razz:

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby dissident » Mon 15 Nov 2021, 17:26:11

They are all nincompoops. This includes the monetarists who still think that demand creates supply. If we run out copper we will make more of it, because physics is some social construct or something.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Postby Newfie » Mon 15 Nov 2021, 20:53:47

Dis,
As ludicrous as what you said sounds I in have quite literally had that conversation, except it was oil.

And it was not an “Economist but a Wharton MBA student. And she was quite adamant in her position, “If we run out if oil we will just find something else.”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Mon 15 Nov 2021, 21:00:19

There are no fools to compare to educated fools.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Plantagenet » Tue 16 Nov 2021, 19:24:40

I wonder what the Democrat position is on the surge of illegal aliens that the Poles are trying to stop at the Polish border.

Does Biden think the Poles should get out of the way and open up their border and let all the illegal aliens stream into the EU?

Does Biden think the Poles should pay the illegal aliens a million dollars each? :roll:

Or does Biden even know about the way the Poles are fighting to keep control over their own border and their own sovereignty?

Given how crazy Biden's statements are sometimes, its not even clear to me that Biden knows what's going on out in the real world.

I suspect his handlers keep a tight control over what Biden is allowed to see.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby Newfie » Wed 17 Nov 2021, 08:59:39

George Carlin quote, think DC.

Just because you got the monkey off your hack doesn’t mean the circus has left town.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JuanP » Wed 17 Nov 2021, 18:48:33

Newfie wrote:And it was not an “Economist but a Wharton MBA student.

Same difference!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Postby Revi » Wed 17 Nov 2021, 21:11:35

Newfie wrote:George Carlin quote, think DC.

Just because you got the monkey off your hack doesn’t mean the circus has left town.

Great quote!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Postby vtsnowedin » Thu 18 Nov 2021, 05:43:58

So now the Obama 'detention facilities' that were renamed 'Trump cages' and howled about for four years are now once again 'soft sided detention facilities' and the Secretary in charge does not know what a cage is?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... ng_to.html
TED CRUZ: I don't. It's a simple question. How many children have been in those cages?

ALEJANDRO MAYORKAS: I respectfully, I'm not familiar with the term cages and to what you were referring. There are -
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 Nov 2021, 19:32:19

The Congressional Budget Office just ran the numbers and it turns out----surprise surprise-----that Biden and the Ds have been totally and completely lying in their claims that their build back better bill is "fully paid for."

cbo-confirms-biden-spending-bill-not-fully-paid-

Biden and the Ds have been just out and out lying about this for months now. And they weren't even close.

And this is after Biden and the Ds jiggered the numbers by "sunsetting" some provisions in their bill after only a few years. If those new programs were allowed to run for the full 10 years of the analysis, as most likely they would, then the deficit number becomes bigger and bigger and the lies become more and more stinky from Biden and the Ds.

The CBO has just shown that Biden and the Ds have been LYING for months about their next bill being "fully paid for".

SHEESH!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby vtsnowedin » Thu 18 Nov 2021, 19:40:51

The Dems are working hard at making Trump the truth teller compared to them.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby vtsnowedin » Fri 19 Nov 2021, 13:59:22

It is time to look at the difference between what the Democrats say they will do and the actual results.
Bernie and the rest of the progressives say they want to improve things for the 'little guy' and create equal opportunity for all.
In ten months they have delivered a dollar a gallon increase in gas and fuel oil prices along with increased food and rent prices and an overall inflation that exceeds the more modest increase in wages.
They have flooded the country with hundreds of thousands of 'undocumented' (ie. illegal) immigrants that are un-vaccinated and have a ten percent positive covid-19 rate and paid to have them flown all over the country in what can be described as the biggest super spreader event ever.
Mixed in with these 'refugees' are a percentage of MS-13 gang members and others that are bringing in fentanyl by the ton and have caused over 100,000 overdose deaths this year along with increased crime rates nationwide.
Then we have the disastrous retreat from Afghanistan making decades of sacrifices made by the 'little guys' sons and daughters a complete waste, and doing so in a way that has destroyed the USA's credibility worldwide increasing the likelihood of aggressive actions by China and Russia with no plan or policy in place to check them.
Then we Have Joe Biden that promised no increase in taxes for anyone making $400k or less and would get the rich to "Pay their fair share".
Is a dollar paid in taxes a different color then a dollar paid at the gas pump or the grocery store?
And now the bill passed in the house last night raised the deduction from $10,000 dollars to $80,000 giving all those 'rich' people an average $50,000 tax cut while giving nothing to those making a low enough salary to not owe more then $10,000 in State and local taxes.
What is "fair" about that.
A couple more years of the Democrats 'Helping out the little guy' and they will all be homeless or under Chinese rule.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion