Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

Unread postby Revi » Wed 12 Jan 2022, 21:12:13

I don't know what's going to happen, but the voting rights seems like it's going to be a hard fight. I think it's important to have democracy, but maybe it will be hard to hold it. There have been lots of impediments to voting put in over the years. Making it harder to vote by moving voting places to inconvenient places, shortening hours, limiting voting places, etc. High time we made it possible for everyone to vote. I even think 16 year olds should vote. Why not? They are old enough to pay taxes. They could learn about the democratic process in school, and then go be part of it. They would be more likely to keep voting. I taught in a high school for many years. They all had political opinions. Probably knew more than most adults.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 12 Jan 2022, 22:00:01

Revi,

The way I see it both parties are trying to contort the voting practice to their own advantage. The R’s seem to have this gerrymandering thing. The D’s have their own agendas.

This has come up a few times over the years and I looked into some of it waaay back. What I found was a whole lot of distortion by both sides.

What I found back then (IIRC) was that most European countries have a national database of citizens. And you need to be on that data base, with a current address, in order to vote. So that list is maintained. Then you can go and register to vote on the day of the ballot. They look you up in the list, verify your qualification, and then you vote.

The USA has no such list because policing the voter list is a state function. There was/is an initiative to create a national cohesive ID through a federal mandate to update the drivers license to some federal standard. Many states are working to this goal, but not all, and the deadlines are past.

The states are required to get vet you as a qualified citizen, but in PA that simply amounts to asking you “Are you a citizen?” Apparently many green card holders misunderstand the question as asking if they are legal, and incorrectly answer “yes.” We know this because some small fraction, over 100 in Philadelphia alone in one year, later figure it out and then self report the error.

So it strikes me the logical solution to this whole mess is to adopt some singular but straight forward method of creating a verified list of citizens. That kind of sounds pretty basic to me. Then a method of simply checking to see if someone is on that list. Then tack in the address part. Done deal. Then we don’t need no stinking big fact complicated voting rights bill.

Yet our leaders have not been able to handle this task. Why? Well because each side is trying to manipulate the system for their own advantage.

I have some pretty simple rules, one if which is the rules should be simple. While that is not always possible in this case it is. You are either a citizen and can vote or not.

Try getting off a plane from a foreign country and through immigration without proving you are a citizen.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 13 Jan 2022, 02:54:54

The Ds have finally lost their minds in California.

They have just ordered medical workers in California who are infected with Covid to.....just stay on the job and keep working.

hospitals-reeling-california-tells-covid-infected-to-keep-working

Its like the Ds in California don't understand that people who are infected with Covid will spread it to other people around them. Its so incredibly ignorant its just stunning.

The Ds in California don't seem to understand that there are sick people in hospitals, and the last thing you want to do is have some medical worker who is sick with covid come actually infect all the patients with covid.

This is even stupider then when Gov Cuomo (D)in New York sent covid infected people back into the nursing homes in New York state to infect all the seniors back in 2020.

I didn't think anybody could surpass the stupidity of Gov. Cuomo of New York when he sent covid infected back into nursing homes to infect others, resulting in thousands of unnecessary deaths. But now the Ds in California have ordered infected medical workers to keep working at California's hospitals, thereby guaranteeing more and more and more infections in the hospitals. I mean.....don't they even know what the word quarantine means in California? SHEEESH!!!!

SHEEESH!!!!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Sat 15 Jan 2022, 22:12:24

Where do you find all your memes Plantagenet? They are fun.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 15 Jan 2022, 22:46:14

Revi wrote:Where do you find all your memes Plantagenet? They are fun.

Thanks Revi.

I check the news from about a dozen newspapers each day and I get concerned about some of the bizarre happenings I read about each day. Then I watch PBS and BBC news at night, and when PBS and the rest of the mainstream media don't report on these bizarre things I find it annoying.

......like the Ds in California ordering medical staff to keep working in the hospitals even when they are infected with covid.....could anything be stupider then that? And yet the mainstream media has utterly ignored the clown show going on in California.

In California they put covid patients in isolations wards.....and then order medical staff who are infected with covid to stay on the job and spread covid through the rest of the hospital's patients....

I mean......SHEESH!

PS: I enjoy your posts as well Revi. You are another long-time poster at this site, and from the beginning you've come across as a thoughtful and very genuine person who is living a life of purpose.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 15 Jan 2022, 23:36:15

We are 10 months away from the midterm elections. Time flies by! It seems like we just elected Biden, yet he will be completely emasculated in a few months.

Who will the Democrats and Republicans nominate in 2024? Will we have a Trump vs. Hillary race again? I do hope we get some new blood. I am getting bored with all these senior citizen oligarchs running for president. They are so f$%&ing boring!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 17 Jan 2022, 13:47:35

JuanP wrote:We are 10 months away from the midterm elections. Time flies by! It seems like we just elected Biden, yet he will be completely emasculated in a few months.

Who will the Democrats and Republicans nominate in 2024? Will we have a Trump vs. Hillary race again? I do hope we get some new blood. I am getting bored with all these senior citizen oligarchs running for president. They are so f$%&ing boring!

I agree. Please find some new candidates!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 17 Jan 2022, 15:54:15

Revi wrote:Where do you find all your memes Plantagenet? They are fun.

I think Plant gets them here: https:\qanonmemesforchildren\, someplace like that.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 17 Jan 2022, 23:48:17

AdamB wrote: https:\qanonmemesforchildren\, someplace like that.

Wow!

So Adam spends his time on Qanon websites....and now he is reposting that garbage here.

SHEESH!

Yo Adam.....Please don't post anymore of your idiotic Qanon garbage here. Just keep all that nonsense to yourself.

Thanks

and

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 21 Jan 2022, 17:33:08

The following is NOT aimed at any party in particular.

There is an outfit called “VoteRef.com” that seeks to push the need for a country wide voter database, or citizen database, by daylighting current practices, current roles.

The have so far gotten about 20 states to give them copies if their voter registration data base, which they have now published in a common online database. So you can go to this database and look up someones name and see if they voted.

It allows you to sort by AGE, the oldest registered voter (so far) is 147, who registered on Dec 6, 1996 at the age of 121. Now she has not voted so no harm no foul.

Mary Ann Smith is merely 142, and she voted in 2016, 2018, and 2020.

Image[/URL]

I simply looked at age as the quickest way to validate the database. Clearly there are obvious problems with the record system. Maybe it is a simple typo in Date of Birth, but that is not the issue. In at least some states no one is looking at the data base for data integrity.

And this is dead easy. How many other problems are there? What percent if the database is hosed up?

OR is this proof of dead people voting?

It strikes me that before we take any additional serious reform measures we need to clean up our voter roles. Why would anyone not support that? Red, blue or chartreuse.

VoteRef.com is dedicated to ensuring transparent, accurate and fair elections in the United States of America. The purpose of this website is to provide public access to official government data pertaining to elections, including voter registration rolls, with a goal of encouraging greater voter participation in all fifty states.

Our system of government is based upon citizen participation. We believe the people, in effect, own this data and have a legal right to see it in an understandable and transparent form. Let freedom ring.
https://voteref.com/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 23 Jan 2022, 16:42:01

Hi Newfie, I wonder where precinct 00 would be? Only choice of two answers allowed :-)
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 23 Jan 2022, 20:32:33

Connecticut?

I just checked a few CT voters and they all had precinct 00.

Other states report something there, just not CT.

Maybe CT does not have precincts or did not report them.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 23 Jan 2022, 20:36:39

Well, I was guessing Heaven because even living to just 100 ought to have a reward.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 23 Jan 2022, 22:35:10

OK, LOL. I thought you were jabbing me over something.

Paranoid these days.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Sun 23 Jan 2022, 23:21:07

I like it https://voteref.com/#!, the more eyes the better. Hopefully the DEM states, like mine, play along. Not holding my breath though.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 24 Jan 2022, 10:12:52

Yes, and Real ID has some merit as well. Damn slow roll out.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 26 Jan 2022, 13:26:57

The problem I see in creating and maintaining a Nationwide voter data base is that it's connectivity allows one good hacker to hack the entire voter rolls from one computer in the Kremlin.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 26 Jan 2022, 15:14:57

If it is implement through RealID then there would be a separate database doe each jurisdiction, over 50.

Many/most EU states have some form of national roll already.

And besides what is the option? What we have now is chaos.

RealID is slowly rolling out, and not mandatory. But it is moving in the right direction.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Jan 2022, 08:09:48

No they will be interconnected so that when you register to vote in a new state or precinct you are automatically removed from the roles where you moved from.
Also death certificates would be uploaded to the system to keep tombstones from voting. That interconnection is both an asset to the system but also a weak point for hackers to attack.
I'm for using drivers licenses or a voter ID cards given free to non drivers at the polls. Being a experienced poll worker I know it would improve and speed up the process but I do not think any computer connection with a precinct's voting machines or tabulators should be allowed. I also think all voting machines need to produce a paper backup of each voters ballot so they can be hand recounted in the event of equipment failure etc.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 27 Jan 2022, 10:19:11

I am OK with all of that.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion