Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Science goes down the drain

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Science goes down the drain

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 17 Apr 2021, 15:49:15

There are more and more journals, supposedly scientific, which are spreading conspiracy theories and plain speculations without any supporting evidence whatsoever.
Text is at first glance looking scientific but after more careful reading it does not make sense at all.
Here you have an example of paper where author is trying to push idea that mRNA COVID vaccines will lead to prion diseases (like CJD).
https://carterheavyindustries.files.wor ... e-1503.pdf
At one point author demonstrates his lack of distinction between prion diseases and Alzheimer disease where beta-amyloid rather than prions is deposited.
There are lots of other details where profound lack of understanding of subjects touched even on most basic level is clearly demonstrated
There are tons of conspiracy theories added and even more worryingly many links to other supposedly "scientific" journals are presented.

Such works will make an immense confusion between readers including many young scientists who are often "swallowing everything like pelicans"

I don't know who is publishing these journals and who (if anyone) is peer reviewing works published there but it is clear that science as such is going down the drain.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Science goes down the drain

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sat 17 Apr 2021, 17:32:56

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
I don't know who is publishing these journals and who (if anyone) is peer reviewing works published there but it is clear that science as such is going down the drain.

There are a huge number of people in academia who need to be seen to be publishing to move their careers forward and a limited number of legitimate journals for them to publish in. So naturally there are people who have established journals that anyone can publish in for a fee. There is no peer review so all sorts of nonsense can be published. A similar scam are conferences where anyone can pay to make a presentation. As a university staff member (but not a faculty member) I periodically get email messages inviting me to publish or present at one of these conferences.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 17 Apr 2021, 17:39:59

Correction. Science is not going down the drain. The heirarchy of dissemination of rigorous science has been replaced with the dumbed down democratizacion of information. Most folks are woefully unprepared to understand this.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 17 Apr 2021, 18:20:53

Looks like a lot of far-fetched hypotheses and very generous bullshit that even a layman can pick apart. Are you sure that was not from the Onion or Lampoon?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 18 Apr 2021, 04:13:37

Ibon wrote:Correction. Science is not going down the drain. The heirarchy of dissemination of rigorous science has been replaced with the dumbed down democratizacion of information. Most folks are woefully unprepared to understand this.

Unfortunately many new students are unable to work out between rubbish and legitimate work.
Hence, like it or not, but rubbish are entering mainstream and increasingly parading as "knowledge".

@Jed,
No, not from onion.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sun 18 Apr 2021, 08:29:19

A publicly funded college here in Ontario actually wanted to start issuing diplomas in Homeopathy. They only dropped the idea after opposition from doctors and scientists across the country. https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/georgian ... -1.4529339
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dissident » Mon 19 Apr 2021, 16:36:43

Science is already in the toilet. This includes medicine and not just astro-"physics" and cosmology.

Alzheimer's was first blamed on aluminum exposure but that is a total crock. Slowly it is dawning on the researchers that it is a "Type III diabetes" related to hyper-insulin levels associated with insulin resistance and related to Type II diabetes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769828/

The pressure to publish results in a lot of filler rubbish articles and "silver bullet" chasing to come up with easy explanations. A critical mass of this garbage results in fashion trend science based on groupthink. In other words, quantity has a quality of its own. The funding regime for science lacks advanced tools to reward valuable contributions over volume. In many cases, the people sitting on the funding committees are not qualified to judge the science they are selecting for grants. This is due in part to the over-specialization that is common in modern science and medicine.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion