Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

AUKUS - QUAD Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

AUKUS - QUAD Thread

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 26 Sep 2021, 09:37:52

Some interesting developments in Asia with the nuclear sub deal and the new economic alignment.

Lots of questions about nuclear proliferation and China containment.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: AUKUS - QUAD Thread

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 26 Sep 2021, 13:57:15

Chinese senior diplomat says China should prepare to do a "first strike" nuclear attack in response to the new AUKUS military alliance against China.

China-prepare-first-strike-using-nukes-diplomat-says

Wow...the threatened Chinese response to AUKUS is pretty scary

I thought Joe Biden was going to repair our relationship with China.....not start a new cold war.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 26 Sep 2021, 21:19:22

Yeah, I am surprised no one has jumped on this as against nuclear proliferation. I dont think OZ is in the nuclear club but this could change that.

And I had not previously heard if “the quad”. Japan, OZ, India, USA reviving a security pact.

Yeah, I am surprised no one has jumped on this as against nuclear proliferation. I dont think OZ is in the nuclear club but this could change that.

And I had not previously heard if “the quad”. Japan, OZ, India, USA reviving a security pact.

The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QSD, also known as the Quad or QUAD) is a strategic dialogue between the United States, India, Japan and Australia that is maintained by talks between member countries. The dialogue was initiated in 2007 by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, with the support of U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, Australian Prime Minister John Howard, and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.[1] The dialogue was paralleled by joint military exercises of an unprecedented scale, titled Exercise Malabar. The diplomatic and military arrangement was widely viewed as a response to increased Chinese economic and military power, and the Chinese government responded to the Quadrilateral dialogue by issuing formal diplomatic protests to its members.[2]

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Mon 27 Sep 2021, 00:50:20

I'm pretty sure it is a nuclear powered sub and NOT a nuclear armed one.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 27 Sep 2021, 07:25:25

Carinke,

True enough, at the moment. But it could easily be built to accommodate nuclear weapons. I suppose the same is true of a diesel sub but moving their subs to match ours make the possibility of interchangeability more easily accomplished.

It surely does not project an image of standing down from a nuclear posture. And images and postures are important.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Asia Discussion