Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Military weapon development.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Military weapon development.

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 16 May 2022, 15:10:11

vtsnowedin wrote: Repeating my6self here.
I think the old 250/3000 savage would be a good place to start. Perhaps neck it up to the 6.8 caliber if needed and build barrels with a one in nine twist. Nice short case without a belt or any other foolishness.

Researching further that is almost exactly what they have done. Case dimensions are within the manufacturing tolerances of the 250 Savage except the neck has been expanded to 270 so bullets for the 270 Winchester will fit. Why they call it a 6.8 is to make it clear it is not a 270W.
Then they added that steel base to allow working pressures of 80,000 needed to get 3000fps out of a 16 inch barrel and use 1 in 7 inch twist to stabilize long bullets.
Still seems like a lot of work for negligible improvement to me and I doubt sniper teams will be clamoring to trade in their 333 Lapuas for one.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 May 2022, 17:56:51

Vt,

Did you miss my previous post on the new Sniper round?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 16 May 2022, 18:19:56

Newfie wrote:Vt,

Did you miss my previous post on the new Sniper round?

I saw it but that was mostly for dedicated sniper use. This new 6.8 is going to be the standard infantry weapon over all branches of the service. Millions more rifles and it's ammunition . A lot more money to spend and weight to carry and I have to think at 80,000 psi barrel life will be very short so a lot of weapons will be at the amours shop more often then they are in soldiers hands.
Perhaps it will be better then what they carry now but I can't see it from what little I know about it. Hope for the best I guess.
For one thing the Ukrainian army would probably be glad to take all the M4s and SAWS we plan to take out of service so they will not go to waste.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion