Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

PTSD

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

PTSD

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 25 May 2022, 16:37:21

This is a short film about someone I knew. Please keep any comments as respectful as possible.

https://vimeo.com/656839478
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PTSD

Unread postby careinke » Sun 12 Jun 2022, 19:33:46

Tanada wrote:This is a short film about someone I knew. Please keep any comments as respectful as possible.

https://vimeo.com/656839478

Sad, RIP.

WWII vets did a lot better with PTSD. One thought is it took a lot longer to get home, and it was done with fellow veterans. This gave them some decompression time before being thrust back into the "Real World."

Reintegration takes time and help. Something not given to todays warriors.

Good film, touched my heart.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 12:22:45

Can not view film.

Did read Sebastion Jungers book Tribes.

Sounds like it touches on a similar subject.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 14:51:36

Newfie wrote:Can not view film.

Did read Sebastion Jungers book Tribes.

Sounds like it touches on a similar subject.

It is the story of a young marine I knew. He was a scout searching out mines and IED's for his company. Did three tours in Afghanistan. He married his gf right before his first deployment and his daughter was born while he was overseas. The stress each time he rotated home was worse and on his third tour his wife of two and a half years divorced him. He left the service at the end of his third tour but the pressures of the combat reflexes in civilian life were massive. After his daughter was around five he grew fearful he would hurt her or his new fiancé and took his own life. The VA system was nearly useless they just pushed anti-depressants that created wild mood swings. His military buddies started an annual fund raiser to help others with PTSD but of his closest friends who survived combat one of the others also killed himself a year or so later. I met them all briefly and it is hard to understand how isolated they feel in civilian life where 99.9% of those around them can not grasp the way the war changed them emotionally, seeing the horrors up close never knowing if the person you were talking to over their was a jihadi just trying to get close enough to kill you or lead you into a trap. Then going home and talking to civilians who spout off all kinds of random stuff some of which disparaged them or their fellow service men and women who were sent by politicians safe in D.C. Trigger words were a psychology term for people with PTSD that was adopted by certain people to mean anything they find offensive.

It is disturbing to me how entitled people misuse the term not having the least clue what it feels like to a real PTSD sufferer to feel overwhelming rage and the need to lash out or flee when triggered as the instinctive fight or flight response is set in motion. It is not the urge to slap an idiot or burst into tears, it is the urge to remove a threat by violence or flight. Conflating PTSD with hurt feelings is disgusting on the visceral level.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby C8 » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 23:12:38

What a horrible war set of wars that Bush lied to get us into. Bush would have been hung for treason in a just nation. We have become corrupted beyond all hope of ever coming back.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 15 Jun 2022, 00:20:54

I feel that is true. Not just Bush, the whole political party system.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Medical Issues Forum