Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread 2022-2023

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby Doly » Thu 19 May 2022, 15:22:08

I would venture that you have perhaps at least a regular college degree

Yes, in maths.

People are thrilled with the concept that after being denigrated for their Rapture scenarios (peak oil, lack of phosphorus, BOE tomorrow afternoon, global thermonuclear war, CIA created viruses to purge the world of the poor or colored, building bunkers and hiding in them, etc etc) they can scream how right there were...right before one or all of these kill them off.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are talking about how things can go weird just when something really big and bad, or at least appearing big and bad, is about to happen, or is happening, or has just happened. Like in Jan 6th, or when the war in Ukraine started.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 19 May 2022, 15:41:57

careinke wrote:What happens when a gallon of gas goes above the minimum wage? Diesel is already above $6.
Peace

I once walked and bicycled and ran everywhere. It was what farm boys did. I didn't make any wage so my options were somewhat limited. Americans are going to SCREAM if you limit their options, that's what happens. Same as they did in the 1970's. So nothing new.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 19 May 2022, 15:55:43

careinke wrote:In Washington State, Shell is reprograming the Gas Pumps so they can reflect $10 + gas prices. I expect 10 plus prices within the next two weeks in some parts of the state.

What happens when a gallon of gas goes above the minimum wage? Diesel is already above $6.

Peace

What happens when the price of gasoline gets too high is everyone will vote against Biden and the Ds.

Thats why BIden is begging the Sheikhs in the Middle East and Maduro and the communists in Venezuela to pump more oil. Biden was even begging PUtin for for oil before the Ukraine war. Thats why Biden is raiding the strategic petroleum reserve……Biden will suck up to every dictator on the planet to get more oil because he’s desperate to boost his poll numbers.

Biden did this……Biden is to blame for the increase in the price of oil and everything else.Biden’s record levels of idiot spending set off massive inflation in the US. Just thank god Biden didn’t get his extra trillions of spending or inflation would be even higher.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 19 May 2022, 16:00:45

Doly wrote:
I would venture that you have perhaps at least a regular college degree

Yes, in maths.

Don't tell VT. He don't hold much truck with the value of education unless it is A) somewhere else in his family or B) came after 30 years of swinging a hammer or using a shovel first, as it takes that long to learn how to use either. The whole "Working Man" thing might just be MAGA American mythos type stuff, so if you are not American you might not get it.

Doly wrote:
People are thrilled with the concept that after being denigrated for their Rapture scenarios (peak oil, lack of phosphorus, BOE tomorrow afternoon, global thermonuclear war, CIA created viruses to purge the world of the poor or colored, building bunkers and hiding in them, etc etc) they can scream how right there were...right before one or all of these kill them off.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are talking about how things can go weird just when something really big and bad, or at least appearing big and bad, is about to happen, or is happening, or has just happened. Like in Jan 6th, or when the war in Ukraine started.

Pretty much. See, VT misses reading between the lines to get at the point, but it is there, perhaps only degreed people can see it? That would explain why I keep needing to find picture art for him to get a point across.

No offense VT. I love da 'Meruika WORKING MAN just like everyone else. :)
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 19 May 2022, 18:22:11

Actually Adam I received an associates degree back in 1975 in surveying and highway construction. Quite a bit of math involved there but in forty years of work only used calculus one time.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 19 May 2022, 20:49:19

vtsnowedin wrote:Actually Adam I received an associates degree back in 1975 in surveying and highway construction. Quite a bit of math involved there but in forty years of work only used calculus one time.

Well there you go. A little is better than none, for sure. As to whether or not you used what you learned, that could certainly be employment related? I'll be the first to admit, not everyone takes calculus and the begins solving equations and whatnot the instant they get a job.

You picked up calculus post high school? Was that because your high school didn't have it? Goodness, did you matriculate on some small semi-populated Pacific island or something? Parents in the military, and no decent schools around? I was a military kid at Lajes Field in the Azores. Beautiful scenery, but hadn't' made it to calculus class yet. Was only about 6 or 7, so maybe not ready for it either. My calculus and differential equations education was finished in high school, and then I just AP'd out of them in college. But that was just needed stuff for engineering and whatnot. I didn't wake up to the world until I bumped into statistics. Now THAT is coolio stuff.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 19 May 2022, 23:22:55

I took surveying in high school because it was interesting and calculus was not. You will be amused that my graduating class from High school was just 21. Our fiftieth reunion is coming up and all but one are still alive and the one loss was a girl killed while serving in the Navy in 1976.
Put on all the math wizard airs you want I am not impressed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 20 May 2022, 01:54:49

vtsnowedin wrote:I took surveying in high school because it was interesting and calculus was not.

I completely agree. Proto-geologists where I came from are required to take a course learning how to do it, like we were all supposed to go on to a career creating USGS quadrangles. Geometry is geomtry. I don't remember as much as I should have, never used it again and not much stuck. I remember it requiring field trips, a summer camp out west (pretty cool for a eastern woodlands dude), loved it. Calculus was just...math.

vtsnowedin wrote:You will be amused that my graduating class from High school was just 21.

No I wouldn't. Mine was 39. And 4 upon graduation went to the Naval Academy and 1 to the Air Force academy. We were known for our swimmers, and they seemed to go Navy as a matter of course. All of us went to college, all the usual places. It was kind of the thing to do there.

vtsnowedin wrote:Our fiftieth reunion is coming up and all but one are still alive and the one loss was a girl killed while serving in the Navy in 1976.

Just because math comes easy doesn't make one a wizard. In retrospect, it seems to be just one of the necessary skill sets necessary to...advance. You have described a substantial investment in your career, doing something you liked, and retired early from it. I'm nearing the end of career #3. Math has been involved in all of them. Important, but statistics is the language of science, and that one I didn't begin learning until I was nearly 35.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Fri 20 May 2022, 02:50:35

So, back to the Subject.

I took my live in Diesel Pusher from our kids place over Snoqualmie Pass to Crescent Bar on the Columbia in Eastern Washington, a total of 315 miles. Diesel on the west side was over $6.30/Gal. On the East side of the cascades I actually watched the diesel price increase from 5.74 to $5.89 before I could purchase my Diesel. Add in 3% for using a credit card, and the price worked out to be $6.06/Gal.

So, I paid $239.5 for 39.5 Gallons (My tank holds 85 Gallons). I also took the time to figure out my MPG for this heavy beast and it worked out to 13.5 MPG. This included crossing the Cascades. I can live with that.

On Monday we head North to Newport on the Priest River bordering Idaho, another three hour drive. Thursday we go to Odessa to visit a high school friend on his ranch. Then back to the kids before Sunday.

I'll keep you posted on prices as I expect them to rise significantly this next week. Thanks to the East Coast...

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 20 May 2022, 06:29:29

I’m visiting colleagues in Cambridge, England. I was quite surprised to see that gasoline prices here in the UK are only about $9 gallon. I expected gas would be even higher here. Thats somewhat higher then in the US, but considering that you can get to just about anywhere in the UK by non-polluting electric trains, cars are luxury here.

Cheers
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 20 May 2022, 11:48:58

Plantagenet wrote:I’m visiting colleagues in Cambridge, England. I was quite surprised to see that gasoline prices here in the UK are only about $9 gallon. I expected gas would be even higher here.
Cheers

Wow...I would have expected the same. Thanks for contributing as much as possible to CO2 emissions to deliver that report. I might recommend a different flight plan to maximize your contribution through, for example if you flew to England from Alaska via..say..Argentina? And on the way back, continue heading east, so London to Alaska via....South Africa? We could use some reports on fuel costs there, as long as you are out and about.

Todays fuel cost locally is up to $4.10/gal. I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen it that high before locally? I don't believe I have, and it irritates me as I've got to buy some for the first time in like 2 months. Diesel, which I don't use, I'm pretty sure I noticed a "5" in front of whatever other numbers came after it. So that seems pricey.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Fri 20 May 2022, 12:46:42

I didn't do a maths degree to impress anyone, I did it because I'm good at maths, I like them and they're useful. And because I was in the sort of family where going for a college degree wasn't optional. My parents made it abundantly clear that any other idea I might have in my head would be a disgrace.

People without college degrees often sound a bit defensive about not having one, but the way I see it, there isn't so much to having a college degree. It just proves that you passed a bunch of exams, that others maybe could have passed, but for whatever reason they didn't. And I say it about a maths degree, that is a hard one. It's one of those degrees that some people don't manage to pass, no matter how hard they try and how much they want it. Some things it seems you can't do if your brain doesn't have the right circuitry. But then, I was just lucky that I have the circuitry. My maths degree says something, but I don't think it says enough to be vastly impressed by it.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 20 May 2022, 13:45:34

Well I'll give you that a bachelors degree in maths is worth a lot more then one in Liberal arts majoring in medieval dance. To me someone that spent a semester at a trade school and got a master electrician's license out of it is probably a lot smarter then the liberal arts major that is still working in sales ten years out of college.
I'm curios Doly? are you from the UK? Using the term maths with an s seems to be UK standard practice where in the USA we just say math to cover the whole field.
Of course a sheep skin from a four year university would say you have a Bachelor of science with a major in Mathematics. Perhaps the Brits just cut out the. ematic. to save space and printer ink.
:)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 May 2022, 20:29:24

Doly wrote:

I didn't do a maths degree to impress anyone, I did it because I'm good at maths, I like them and they're useful. And because I was in the sort of family where going for a college degree wasn't optional. My parents made it abundantly clear that any other idea I might have in my head would be a disgrace.

Sort of sold my kids on the same thing. And I'm not sure I've ever met someone who got a degree to impress. Although when dealing with PhDs of any stripe, there is a good chance you've got some ego in there somewhere, or maybe a permanent student of some type.

Doly wrote:People without college degrees often sound a bit defensive about not having one, but the way I see it, there isn't so much to having a college degree.

If you are thinking a modern degree, I would have to agree. They seem pretty easy to acquire compared to the bad ol' days.

Doly wrote: It just proves that you passed a bunch of exams, that others maybe could have passed, but for whatever reason they didn't. And I say it about a maths degree, that is a hard one. It's one of those degrees that some people don't manage to pass, no matter how hard they try and how much they want it. Some things it seems you can't do if your brain doesn't have the right circuitry. But then, I was just lucky that I have the circuitry. My maths degree says something, but I don't think it says enough to be vastly impressed by it.

I tend to agree with you. I've watched many people, and circuitry, work in an environment being tested by many other people, and circuitry, and it seems fascinating but it seems to come down to the right combination of right/left brain type stuff. Seems to get worse with specialization as well.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Tue 24 May 2022, 15:12:14

To me someone that spent a semester at a trade school and got a master electrician's license out of it is probably a lot smarter then the liberal arts major that is still working in sales ten years out of college.

I've met both kinds of people and I agree with you.

I'm curios Doly? are you from the UK? Using the term maths with an s seems to be UK standard practice where in the USA we just say math to cover the whole field.

I live in the UK, yes. I try to do US spelling in this forum because I think it's mostly Americans here, but I'm not entirely sure of all the differences.

Of course a sheep skin from a four year university would say you have a Bachelor of science with a major in Mathematics. Perhaps the Brits just cut out the. ematic. to save space and printer ink.

I didn't get my degree in the UK.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 24 May 2022, 16:01:01

Doly wrote:
To me someone that spent a semester at a trade school and got a master electrician's license out of it is probably a lot smarter then the liberal arts major that is still working in sales ten years out of college.

I've met both kinds of people and I agree with you.

I live in the UK, yes. I try to do US spelling in this forum because I think it's mostly Americans here, but I'm not entirely sure of all the differences.

I didn't get my degree in the UK.

I do find it interesting how the British and American use of English is evolving or devolving depending on your point of view. My favorite business show has two British expatriates who I think have made good money of of their British accents. They pronounce the word bipartisan as if there is a Z in it in place of the s. And guided missiles have the last syllable pronounced as isles as in islands where Americans pronounce the last syllable as ills as in an illness.
Also there is the use of Scheme which in Briton is a well thought out plan while in the USA any scheme is some nefarious plot cooked up by crooks or politicians.
Of course this is an old phenomenon. When one of my grandfathers was in Briton during WW1 he went int a store and asked for a spool of thread. He was directed to a display of what he called rope. When he explained he just needed to sew rank patchs on his uniform the clerk said oh you need a reel of cotton . And she offered to sew the patches on for him.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 24 May 2022, 16:49:32

I-80 turnpike service area, Indiana, $5.05/gal regular unleaded.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 24 May 2022, 18:12:23

I'd like to post a billboard somewhere that says Want $9.00+ gas? Vote Democrat.
I might have to just get it on a full tailgate sized sticker 2ft' by 5 ft' and drive my truck around so a lot of people can see it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 24 May 2022, 19:16:54

vtsnowedin wrote:I'd like to post a billboard somewhere that says Want $9.00+ gas? Vote Democrat.

Yeah...correlation...causation....statistics...etc etc. No calculus required there VT, regardless of whether or not geometry is cooler.

vtsnowedin wrote: I might have to just get it on a full tailgate sized sticker 2ft' by 5 ft' and drive my truck around so a lot of people can see it.

Do it. Make sure they don't vote for Bernie next time. The average tank MPG that was recorded with that fillup was 47.1 mpg. Car loved coming south with the wind at its back out of Minnesota on secondary roads.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 25 May 2022, 08:19:56

So Biden reveals high gas prices are deliberate policy to drive the transfer to green energy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ory=foryou
I paid $4.80/ gallon yesterday.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion