Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bitcoin & crypto? Pt. 2

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Bitcoin & crypto? Pt. 2

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 02 Mar 2023, 21:43:09

noobtube wrote:Can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

I do have my moments.

noobtube wrote:What with America feeding the world with food shortages everywhere, AND sky-high food inflation.

Yup. Sort of like the stagflation of the 1970's, except then we had a real live global peak oil in 1979 piled on top of it.

noobtube wrote:Then there is that United States military that loses every fight they start.

Well, we would have to define "lose" before we say that. Kicking the crap out of everything thrown at you...standing around not sure what to do..and getting bored and going home isn't losing as much as...getting bored and going home.

noobtube wrote:Then there is all that natural gas in the United States that caused prices to skyrocket 100% in California (I think they are still part of the United States).

Confusing market forces and mismanagement in one state with anything important...tsk tsk.

noobtube wrote:And, of course, all of the so-called United States oil abundance that still has diesel prices near 2022 summer highs.

So what? Like them eat cake, I've got 2 EVs.

noobtube wrote:Germany is probably thanking the United States as I type this for blowing up Nord Stream and stopping all that imaginary natural gas coming from Russia.

Oh please, conspiracy theories, while amusing, don't match the actions of the two mjor players AFTER the pipe was bombed. Look to Russia and China for that one.

noobtube wrote:But don't let me sound ungrateful. I'm glad there are so many masses of stupid, lazy, entitled, hard-headed idiots out there who buy totally worthless trash (like crypto-garbage).

I have no feelings at all for how folks wish to spend their money. I'm American, freedom and all that, etc etc.

noobtube wrote:That makes the real stuff cheap enough for me to buy. So, salute to those "exceptionalist" idiots for giving me the chance to get the good stuff cheap.

Well jolly good for you then, Americans are glad to help the less fortunate anything, us being generous that way. You're welcome.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby noobtube » Thu 02 Mar 2023, 22:36:53

AdamB wrote:
noobtube wrote:Can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

I do have my moments.

noobtube wrote:What with America feeding the world with food shortages everywhere, AND sky-high food inflation.

Yup. Sort of like the stagflation of the 1970's, except then we had a real live global peak oil in 1979 piled on top of it.

noobtube wrote:Then there is that United States military that loses every fight they start.

Well, we would have to define "lose" before we say that. Kicking the crap out of everything thrown at you...standing around not sure what to do..and getting bored and going home isn't losing as much as...getting bored and going home.

noobtube wrote:Then there is all that natural gas in the United States that caused prices to skyrocket 100% in California (I think they are still part of the United States).

Confusing market forces and mismanagement in one state with anything important...tsk tsk.

noobtube wrote:And, of course, all of the so-called United States oil abundance that still has diesel prices near 2022 summer highs.

So what? Like them eat cake, I've got 2 EVs.

noobtube wrote:Germany is probably thanking the United States as I type this for blowing up Nord Stream and stopping all that imaginary natural gas coming from Russia.

Oh please, conspiracy theories, while amusing, don't match the actions of the two mjor players AFTER the pipe was bombed. Look to Russia and China for that one.

noobtube wrote:But don't let me sound ungrateful. I'm glad there are so many masses of stupid, lazy, entitled, hard-headed idiots out there who buy totally worthless trash (like crypto-garbage).

I have no feelings at all for how folks wish to spend their money. I'm American, freedom and all that, etc etc.

noobtube wrote:That makes the real stuff cheap enough for me to buy. So, salute to those "exceptionalist" idiots for giving me the chance to get the good stuff cheap.

Well jolly good for you then, Americans are glad to help the less fortunate anything, us being generous that way. You're welcome.

You have an excuse for everything. Must be nice for you living in the land of unicorns and fairies.

Uh, believe it or not, I am American. The exceptionalist idiots are the anti-Americans who think the world owes them a free lunch, don't take any responsibility for their fuck-ups, but love to take credit for everything good under the sun, while refusing to take any risk or responsibility for their endless failures. These are the United States-ians.

So, according to you, all credit goes to me as an American for recognizing these stupid dumb-asses who kiss United States ass, thinking they are "exceptional" to everyone else because they say so.
noobtube
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 03 Mar 2023, 14:47:52

noobtube wrote:You have an excuse for everything. Must be nice for you living in the land of unicorns and fairies.

Learn the difference between an excuse and a different perspective. Just saying...

noobtube wrote:Uh, believe it or not, I am American.

I'll take your word for. Might I venture though, perhaps you are one of the non-exceptional and feeling a bit let down by it? The peak oilers do seem to have many of this type in their ranks, they fell for the sales pitch hook line and sinker and now are somewhat taken aback by reality, and having been suckered by quite obvious suckering.

noobtube wrote:The exceptionalist idiots are the anti-Americans who think the world owes them a free lunch, don't take any responsibility for their fuck-ups, but love to take credit for everything good under the sun, while refusing to take any risk or responsibility for their endless failures. These are the United States-ians.

Well, what is your opinion on free lunches then? And I'll be the first to defend failures, the number of times I've failed in life, or professionally, I've lost count. Strikes me that the measure of a person is learning from them, and using that knowledge to leap back into the exceptional category.

noobtube wrote:So, according to you, all credit goes to me as an American for recognizing these stupid dumb-asses who kiss United States ass, thinking they are "exceptional" to everyone else because they say so.

Well, I don't think I gave you all the credit for...anything...but being American ( I presume by birth), then I can say good for you! Oh course, that line continues, because even in America there are Americans and then..others. For example, some might say American by birth, Texan by the grace of God. Texans anyway. :)
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby noobtube » Fri 03 Mar 2023, 16:15:35

noobtube wrote:Well, I don't think I gave you all the credit for...anything...but being American ( I presume by birth), then I can say good for you! Oh course, that line continues, because even in America there are Americans and then..others. For example, some might say American by birth, Texan by the grace of God. Texans anyway. :)

And, there it is. Texas is barely a part of the United States. Always whining about leaving whenever your feelings get hurt. It is no wonder your attitude struck me as so odd. Could never imagine someone from the Northeast, the Rust Belt, Farm Country, or the South talking so arrogantly and presumptive-ly about how great America is.

Texas is just northern Mexico. Full of Spanish speakers, empty land, cattle, and oil. That's not America. That's Texas. Don't presume to speak for Americans. But, like so many foreigners, you love the United States government (and that idiotic crypto currency/electric car garbage).

That's right. I don't consider Texans to be "real" Americans. More like troublemakers.
noobtube
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 03 Mar 2023, 20:38:10

noobtube wrote:
noobtube wrote:Well, I don't think I gave you all the credit for...anything...but being American ( I presume by birth), then I can say good for you! Oh course, that line continues, because even in America there are Americans and then..others. For example, some might say American by birth, Texan by the grace of God. Texans anyway. :)

And, there it is. Texas is barely a part of the United States.

Drive it from south to north, or east to west sometime, quite some part! Alaska is far bigger, but flying it north and south and east and west just isn't the same as doing it in a car. But I've been top to bottom and it was a nice drive.

noobtube wrote:Always whining about leaving whenever your feelings get hurt. It is no wonder your attitude struck me as so odd. Could never imagine someone from the Northeast, the Rust Belt, Farm Country, or the South talking so arrogantly and presumptive-ly about how great America is.

Born in Texas. Raised mostly in hillybilly Appalachia. On grandpap's farm. College in the Rust belt. Lived in Louisiana a few years, not really south, but close. So yeah, feel free to pretend that where we live and born somehow echoes through our thoughts. So, what does missing a decent life in the South make me?

noobtube wrote: Don't presume to speak for Americans.

I can presume whatever I like. This is America after all. :)

noobtube wrote:But, like so many foreigners, you love the United States government (and that idiotic crypto currency/electric car garbage).

Can't say my experience living overseas made me a foreigner, or living in Canada for awhile, and I demonstrate often that I have no special feelings for the US oligarchy running the US government all the time. You need to presume less until you become at least a bit familiar with the players.

And I like my EVs, so bite me. :)

noobtube wrote:That's right. I don't consider Texans to be "real" Americans. More like troublemakers.

Good thing I'm a westerner now, I was mostly just born in Texas.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 01:06:35

noobtube wrote:
And, there it is. Texas is barely a part of the United States. Always whining about leaving whenever your feelings get hurt. It is no wonder your attitude struck me as so odd. Could never imagine someone from the Northeast, the Rust Belt, Farm Country, or the South talking so arrogantly and presumptive-ly about how great America is.

You've discovered the forum Troll noobtube, lol, I keep the turd on ignore myself, listening to him is like having your head pushed through mud,

But don't let me sound ungrateful. I'm glad there are so many masses of stupid, lazy, entitled, hard-headed idiots out there who buy totally worthless trash (like crypto-garbage). That makes the real stuff cheap enough for me to buy.

I agree, it's a boon for us physical investors. I think sometimes the whole crypto scam was developed to milk the millennials of their meager savings. I mean they are the ones that really bought into it and pumped it on the social media. Think about it, Houses were out of their reach, stocks were overinflated, and then along comes digital nothings, going cheap but with the promise of making them all rich. It's not much of a transition from playing a virtual video-game to playing a virtual currency.

Virtual: Existing in the mind, especially as a product of the imagination
---Created, simulated, or carried on by means of a computer or computer network

For that matter EV's are virtual in their essence, they proclaim to be a huge savings on driving but the up front cost is much greater than a modern efficient gas car and all the promised savings are off in the distant future. EV's have a break even point about 10 years in, right when the batteries die and you're up for another $35,000.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 04:30:39

I find it amusing how most of you think Bitcoin is a scam. Like a formula and a small white paper can hold any feelings or stand to make a profit.

Hey rather than try and demean each other, how about a bet? You folks can help set the rules. I will publicly admit Bitcoin is a scam to steal everyone's money IF: The price of bitcoin falls below $5,000 any time during the rest of my life, even for a minute. If I lose the bet I will donate $100 to any organization you chose. I chose a smaller number, because I expect more than one bet.

So your part of the bet is IF: I will publicly admit Bitcoin is a true money if the Price of Bitcoin reaches at least (FILL IN THE BLANK IN DOLLARS) over the next (X) years.

OR I will publicly admit I was wrong if a certain percentage of the world population own Bitcoin. I'm Thinking over 20% or 1,600,000 Humans.

In the meantime, I will answer questions, but not criticism.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 13:03:06

careinke wrote:I find it amusing how most of you think Bitcoin is a scam.

It's not a scam. Yet it has no intrinsic value. It's like art. It's only valuable because there's a fool out there thinking it has value. It's different from owning stock, which is owning part of a value generating company (producing something of tangible value).

There's a sucker born every minute, they say. You seem to be such a sucker. Maybe you get lucky. But for every one getting lucky, there's 10 that won't.

careinke wrote:Bitcoin has a known 4 year cycle with three positive years followed by a significant down year,

A sucker, after all.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 14:24:25

mousepad wrote:
careinke wrote:I find it amusing how most of you think Bitcoin is a scam.

It's not a scam. Yet it has no intrinsic value. It's like art. It's only valuable because there's a fool out there thinking it has value. It's different from owning stock, which is owning part of a value generating company (producing something of tangible value).

That's a nice balanced view mousepad, and quite correct now that I look at it. The token bitcoin isn't the scam at all, it's the manipulators pumping and dumping the price that is the scam. It happens with all manner of virtual "assets" as well as in the real world with stocks and material items.

Bitcoins function, it's purpose for existing, namely an alternative form of money for transacting outside of the fiat system, has long since been proved fake. It's a fake

careinke is finding this out, as all the hodlers are, and is passing through the various stages of grief. Anger, Denial, and now on to the Negotiating stage.

IF: The price of bitcoin falls below $5,000 any time during the rest of my life, even for a minute. If I lose the bet I will donate $100 to any organization you chose

Lets negotiate a settlement where Bitcoin is still worth something "Pleeeese"
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 16:27:40

careinke wrote:OR I will publicly admit I was wrong if a certain percentage of the world population own Bitcoin. I'm Thinking over 20% or 1,600,000 Humans.

In the meantime, I will answer questions, but not criticism.

Peace

20% of the world population is like, 1,600,000,000 humans.

How about this angle, when as many people use bitcoin as use normal bits of paper or their stored national currency in a financial institution? Because then it will be obvious to everyone that it has value and the point will be moot.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 16:32:18

mousepad wrote:
careinke wrote:Bitcoin has a known 4 year cycle with three positive years followed by a significant down year,

A sucker, after all.

Well, Hit Man is an enthusiast, and this place began with folks who were enthusiasts, and just didn't know anything about the topic, so they fell for everything that came down the pike. Not that all enthusiasts are in a game where deception is part and parcel of a belief system, or that bitcoin has been proven similar.

However, when a story like this comes out, There’s a wild theory that the price of Bitcoin is being propped up—and the academic who proved manipulation in 2017 suspects it may be happening again it seems completely reasonable to make sure that things like this AREN'T happening prior to betting hard currency on what is really some form of speculation.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 20:45:55

Oh look! Adam's trolling as usual lol. Buy a motorcycle Adam, find a life
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 04 Mar 2023, 23:30:53

theluckycountry wrote:Oh look! Adam's trolling as usual lol. Buy a motorcycle Adam, find a life

I've got 2. Same number as I've got EVs. Silly rabbit.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 05 Mar 2023, 22:59:21

Did you sink money into bitcoin Adam? trying to get rich and pay down all that debt you carry? Sorry, better luck next time.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 06 Mar 2023, 01:04:26

theluckycountry wrote:Did you sink money into bitcoin Adam?

Not a penny. Until it stops fluctuating like a penny stock it isn't worth the alleged energy that went into calculating it.

theluckycountry wrote: trying to get rich and pay down all that debt you carry? Sorry, better luck next time.

What debt? I'm an old fart like most around here, and put my money into the stock market because it was subsidized by my employer. Made like 5X more on that then my gold investment in the early 80's when proto-doomers were pitching it as a hedge against inflation. I piss off the wife pretty badly nowadays because I refuse to finance anything. Paid $3200 for my last cage. Salvage title. A little work (engineers aren't all bad mechanics sometimes) and it is coming up on its first year of service and 15k miles. If it makes it to 20K I'm putting a hitch on it and buying a trailer to tow a tent camper or motorcycle trailer around the country. Paid $1 for my last motorcycle. Delivered non-running to my driveway by the previous owner, just to get rid of it. Took me 3 weeks to figure out why it didn't run right, but only cost $3 for the part fo fix it. Had a blast figuring it out. Posers who can't ride need those expensive European exotics, if only because you can't buy anything of value built in their own country. And plus, newer machines are just so...soulless? But old American or even Japanese iron? It is a matter of pride, knowing when a beater isn't just a beater but has within it many more miles of service. Plus its cheap, and as I tell the wife, she can then blow the money I saved on stupid crap.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 11 Mar 2023, 16:02:29

Well another big BlowUp in the crypo soap opera, USDC, a stablecoin NOT, is in all sorts of trouble and helped push shitecoin down under 20k yesterday. The initial shock is past and the coin has clawed its way back to 95 cents but this episode is far from over. Triggered by the collapse of a major US bank, one wonders what the hell is going on over there in Prozac land? But it begs the question, why would you invest in a bloody crypto that mirrors the $UD price anyway? Just keep the dollars lol. Idiots.

It's funny to drop in on reddit's dogecoin sub, 6-cents now. Never a recovery from the 80-cent peak back two years ago, I can't imagine what's going through there heads :cry:
Meanwhile the slow and steady snail has been creeping higher and higher, Gold is $AU 2850/oz today. Slow and steady wins the race, hey Adam :-D

The symbol for Gold on the periodic table is AU, the same as the symbol for Australia

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 11 Mar 2023, 16:27:38

theluckycountry wrote: Gold is $AU 2850/oz today. Slow and steady wins the race, hey Adam :-D

When it increases in US price by 3X, only then will it equal market gains I've already banked. Newbie investor, I learned my lesson with gold in the early 80's.

theluckycountry wrote:The symbol for Gold on the periodic table is AU, the same as the symbol for Australia

Cool! Let's see if there is a correlation...total nobel laureates handed out to world, 919. Total to America? 383. Total to the country of Gold...14.

So...country abbreviations and periodic table being meaningful when it comes to smartness and all, not so much. Maybe your country abbreviation is just because...your deserts are that color in the right light?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Sat 11 Mar 2023, 21:43:24

theluckycountry wrote:Well another big BlowUp in the crypo soap opera, USDC, a stablecoin NOT, is in all sorts of trouble and helped push shitecoin down under 20k yesterday. The initial shock is past and the coin has clawed its way back to 95 cents but this episode is far from over. Triggered by the collapse of a major US bank, one wonders what the hell is going on over there in Prozac land? But it begs the question, why would you invest in a bloody crypto that mirrors the $UD price anyway? Just keep the dollars lol. Idiots.

Actually BTC was headed down before the SVB announcement. Once, the announcement was made it immediately started rising. So far this year (YTD), my Bitcoin holdings are up 15%, Gold is only up 1.5% so far this year, well below bonds, inflation, and minimum wages and anything else I can think of. Do you just like losing value in your assets? I do have some gold, my wife enjoys wearing it. :-D

As to why you would invest in a bloody crypto that mimics the $USD? Several reasons. BTW I rarely hold stable coins for obvious reasons.

People who trade on Decentralized exchanges like to use Stable Coins as most decentralized exchanges do not trade in USD's. Until yesterday, USDC and USDT stable coins were pegged to the USD and backed 100% by US dollars or bonds. Unfortunately a FDIC bank, SVB, was holding a sizeable amount of that money. Enough that most of it was NOT insured by the FDIC, and worse not available to the stable coin users. Could this be deliberate on the part of central banks, the IMF, and other WEF entities?? All who are scared s#itless by decentralized exchanges.

Check out operation choke point on wiki.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point
Maybe an Operation Choke point 2 is coming, adding crypto to the list.

Peace
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 11 Mar 2023, 23:37:33

careinke wrote:Actually BTC was headed down before the SVB announcement. Once, the announcement was made it immediately started rising.
Bitcoin was $22k on Wednesday, the day of SVB's announcement. By Thursday, bitcoin had fallen to $20k. It fell after the announcement.

The panic takes root…
On Wednesday, SVB announced it had sold a bunch of securities at a loss, and that it would also sell $2.25 billion in new shares to shore up its balance sheet. That triggered a panic among key venture capital firms, who reportedly advised companies to withdraw their money from the bank. The bank’s stock began plummeting Thursday morning and by the afternoon it was dragging other bank shares down with it as investors began to fear a repeat of the 2007-2008 financial crisis.
How does a bank collapse in 48 hours? A timeline of the SVB fall

The repercussions of the announced "wind down" of Silvergate Bank were still unfolding when Silicon Valley Bank failed. Market leaders Bitcoin and Ethereum saw heavy losses, but they weren’t the only losers: virtually every leading cryptocurrency is down by double-digit percentages coming into the weekend. According to CoinGecko price data, Bitcoin (BTC) is down 10.5% and is sitting right at the $20,000 support level at the start of the weekend.

Ethereum (ETH), the world’s No. 2 cryptocurrency by market cap, had a similar trajectory this week. It's down 9.5% over the last seven days and is starting the weekend around $1,425. Similar losses of around 15% were posted by Polygon (MATIC), which is now worth $1.04.
After Silvergate and Silicon Valley Bank Collapse, Bitcoin and Ethereum Crash
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby careinke » Sun 12 Mar 2023, 04:23:35

[b]T
kublikhan wrote:
careinke wrote:Actually BTC was headed down before the SVB announcement. Once, the announcement was made it immediately started rising.
Bitcoin was $22k on Wednesday, the day of SVB's announcement. By Thursday, bitcoin had fallen to $20k. It fell after the announcement.

Sorry I was not very clear in my comment, we are talking about two different announcements. I was referring to the Fed announcement on Friday when they shut the bank down.

I actually have open limit buy orders at $19,000 and $18,450 and was contemplating another one at $15,000. This is based a lot on my TA. However, I'm beginning to doubt those orders will be filled. We should know more in the next few weeks.

It seems SVB has been active in many other countries as well as the U.S. If SVP does not get bought out, new innovations could be set back a decade or so.

The good news is there have all ready been offers from the Banks. So far the Bid is 72cents on the dollar for the assets and rising.

Peace
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance