Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What happened to people once here?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: What happened to people once here?

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 16:39:45

Nefarious wrote:I doubt it. My post never appeared. Then appeared, saw your response, now my post and your response have disappeared again. Click on a thread with 15 replies only see one post. To aggravating to try and figure out what's the latest post or not. Posts appearing then disappearing you just can't keep up and try to have a meaningful discussion.

You are not the first to complain of this, just the first in a while. I have never seen it happen to me.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 16:43:09

AgentR11 wrote:I try to log in and post occasionally. I think the site has migrated its central thought from prepping to just observing the Great Ungreesing. Which seems appropriate given how things are turning out. My idle speculation, that "Demand Destruction" isn't the problem, but rather the solution to the issues of Peak and shortages, seems to be working out. That said, the price still isn't high enough to make that all happen, but its getting there I think. Just a slow, grinding economic battle between how much we want to burn vs how much there is available to burn at any given time.

Also becoming med dependent as I, and maybe yall as well, as a result of age and injury pretty much takes the intensity out of doom'ing. Its just not as compelling when you think that all available paths for the human race with regard to oil/energy and climate change; have a time horizon that exceed one's own best-by date.

At 71 I am still loafing along fairly med free. And pretty active.

But still I am all to aware that my years are limited, and it scares me.

But yes, it is unlikely we will live to see the worst.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 18:03:37

Nefarious wrote:I doubt it. My post never appeared. Then appeared, saw your response, now my post and your response have disappeared again. Click on a thread with 15 replies only see one post. To aggravating to try and figure out what's the latest post or not. Posts appearing then disappearing you just can't keep up and try to have a meaningful discussion.

This is a cloudfare problem and the owner has trying to get it fixed going on two years now. You can manually get around it by adding ?1 to the end of each pages URL in the address bar. Doing that orders the cloudflare software to load the most recent version of the page instead of the last image accessed by any customer using that page.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby C8 » Thu 30 Jun 2022, 02:23:37

AgentR11 wrote:I try to log in and post occasionally. I think the site has migrated its central thought from prepping to just observing the Great Ungreesing. Which seems appropriate given how things are turning out. My idle speculation, that "Demand Destruction" isn't the problem, but rather the solution to the issues of Peak and shortages, seems to be working out. That said, the price still isn't high enough to make that all happen, but its getting there I think. Just a slow, grinding economic battle between how much we want to burn vs how much there is available to burn at any given time.

Also becoming med dependent as I, and maybe yall as well, as a result of age and injury pretty much takes the intensity out of doom'ing. Its just not as compelling when you think that all available paths for the human race with regard to oil/energy and climate change; have a time horizon that exceed one's own best-by date.

I hear what you're saying but Peak Oil. com is not just a Doomer site. There are many topics open for discussion and, in fact, the most discussion occurs on issues that have nothing to do with oil. What is nice, is to be able to talk to people who have an understanding of systems and how they all interact such as water depletion, topsoil erosion, etc. It is also helpful to be able to talk to people so that you can get different perspectives on aging and how to handle it. I am struggling with the same feelings you are about the passing of my "best-by-date" as you put it.

I hope you post more in the future.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Doly » Fri 01 Jul 2022, 14:51:21

What is nice, is to be able to talk to people who have an understanding of systems and how they all interact such as water depletion, topsoil erosion, etc.

Totally agree!

Maybe forums are a thing for the older generation, with all younger people being on Facebook or somewhere else that I have missed. I don't know. There must be some peak oilers somewhere right now. Does nobody here have any idea where they are?
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 01 Jul 2022, 15:29:22

I find that writing out my ideas helps me understand my own positions. Kind of like talk therapy, writing therapy.

I believe that PeakOil, if rebranded today, would be more along the lines of “Resource Depletion Discussion” with Peak Oil being a major subtopic. Of course we then drift off onto related topics such as how we survive the consequences of …..
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 01 Jul 2022, 15:41:30

Doly wrote:
What is nice, is to be able to talk to people who have an understanding of systems and how they all interact such as water depletion, topsoil erosion, etc.

Totally agree!

Maybe forums are a thing for the older generation, with all younger people being on Facebook or somewhere else that I have missed. I don't know. There must be some peak oilers somewhere right now. Does nobody here have any idea where they are?

Facebook is for the older generations, too! The under 40 crowd is on Instagram, YouTube, TickTock, Twitter, etc. The attention span required there is no more than three minutes in most cases.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 01 Jul 2022, 15:43:38

Newfie wrote:I find that writing out my ideas helps me understand my own positions. Kind of like talk therapy, writing therapy ...

That is the main reason I post here.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 02 Aug 2022, 18:27:55

I occasionally come here to read, I don't post on threads much anymore.

This site is special for me. I learned the hard way the only way to vet ideas is to put them out there for others to see and comment on. Learned just what I did not know about the concepts discussed. Found out the hard way that a lay persons understanding is not equivalent to an experts understanding. Found out the hard way that credentials do matter, facts cannot be guessed upon.

I participated greatly in the forms since I became a member in 2004. The one thing I learned the most was discernment. It was an important life lesson, that I have benefited from tremendously.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 22 Aug 2022, 18:18:03

C8 wrote:

I hear what you're saying but Peak Oil. com is not just a Doomer site. There are many topics open for discussion and, in fact, the most discussion occurs on issues that have nothing to do with oil. What is nice, is to be able to talk to people who have an understanding of systems and how they all interact such as water depletion, topsoil erosion, etc. It is also helpful to be able to talk to people so that you can get different perspectives on aging and how to handle it. I am struggling with the same feelings you are about the passing of my "best-by-date" as you put it.

I hope you post more in the future.

Hi to you both & other old timers here.

Reason I'm not around here-
Near total lack of insight that the scamdemic, population control, poisonous "vaccines", transhumanism, global gaslighting, are all connected & are all directly related to peak oil.

My guess why most others are not around here aside from what I just wrote-
For years this site was much about prepping, for a presumed more or less uncontrolled collpase.
Instead, we have the Agenda 21 & the big fat lies it's problem, reaction, solution manifesto relies on.
The best & brightest here did prep, in our individual ways.
Instead of a chaotic collapse we have an engineered one underway, but most of the preps still work.

I arrived at 2020 living on a yacht I had owned for 5 years, shortly later I sold my sedan & bought a small campervan, so now two off grid living arrangements. Over the previous decade I worked my way up in the transport industry to the highest category of trucks, oversize road trains. Throughout the scamdemic I have been able to work whenever I needed to. Meanwhile I've quit a lot of things, never drink or smoke, I'm pretty much vegan, major fitness kick, have cut my living expenses by 80%.

I am kept busy with a mix of advocacy, teaching common & natural law, online & real world activism. I work as little as possible as I have no interest in propping up the filthy liars running this shit show.

My children are now early teens & thriving, unpoisoned. My social life no longer revolves around regularly back & forth to Asia. Mostly I'm up & down the east coast of Australia.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 22 Aug 2022, 18:46:07

Sounds like a good life.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Mon 22 Aug 2022, 19:14:46

SeaGypsy wrote:

Near total lack of insight that the scamdemic, population control, poisonous "vaccines", transhumanism, global gaslighting, are all connected & are all directly related to peak oil.

Could you elaborate?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 22 Aug 2022, 22:32:54

SeaGypsy wrote:Instead of a chaotic collapse we have an engineered one underway

I hope you are right, but the global energy markets and world events both seem pretty chaotic to me. The latest predictions are that energy prices are going to go up by 200-400% in Europe this winter after Russia cuts off the Natural gas, raising the overall inflation rate to something like 18%. Somehow I doubt the EU intentionally engineered that......

SeaGypsy wrote:I arrived at 2020 living on a yacht I had owned for 5 years, shortly later I sold my sedan & bought a small campervan, so now two off grid living arrangements. Over the previous decade I worked my way up in the transport industry to the highest category of trucks, oversize road trains. Throughout the scamdemic I have been able to work whenever I needed to. Meanwhile I've quit a lot of things, never drink or smoke, I'm pretty much vegan, major fitness kick, have cut my living expenses by 80%......I am kept busy with a mix of advocacy, teaching common & natural law, online & real world activism. I work as little as possible as I have no interest in propping up the filthy liars running this shit show........My children are now early teens & thriving, unpoisoned. My social life no longer revolves around regularly back & forth to Asia. Mostly I'm up & down the east coast of Australia.

Good for you, SeaGypsy. That sounds like a good place to be in.

Things still going good up here in Alaska except thanks to climate change the summers are now strangely warm and sunny and much nicer then they used to be.

I always enjoyed your stories and your posts.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 13 Sep 2022, 07:14:35

C8 wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:

In 2012 we had extensive discussion here about aspects of agenda 21, the emergence & convergence of peak oil with economic factors, there were many indicators crunch time was going to start in 2020. It's quite literally the "great reset" & flat out psychological warfare of the ownership elite vs everyone.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby careinke » Tue 13 Sep 2022, 23:59:05

SeaGypsy wrote:
C8 wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:

In 2012 we had extensive discussion here about aspects of agenda 21, the emergence & convergence of peak oil with economic factors, there were many indicators crunch time was going to start in 2020. It's quite literally the "great reset" & flat out psychological warfare of the ownership elite vs everyone.

Yes, and if I remember correctly, at the time I felt it was a little bit too tin foil hat for me, (although I love learning all about the various conspiracies).

Turns out it was all true, only now they call it the great reset, and it is embraced by the World Economic Forum plus the UN. The elite are trying to own everything, you will own nothing, and be happy. :)

Don't believe me? Here is their website, you can read it yourself. They are quite open about it now. Personally, it scares the s#it out of me.
https://www.weforum.org/

Click on the icon at the top left, and noticed they are interested and have a position on virtually everything. You will have a LOT to explore. It's a great roadmap of their plan. A LOT of the elite are WEF members.

In a nutshell the WEF wants: a centralized World Governance, no individual property rights, people living in high density cities, eating vegan diets that look like meat. Cash will be abolished replaced by Central Bank(s) Digital Currency CBDC's. This will allow them to dictate how you spend the money. Notice I didn't say "your money"? :roll:

I give it about a 60% chance of succeeding. :?:

My preference would be Individual Sovereignty, a decentralized money supply not controlled by governments/central banks, with a government who's primary mission is to protect it's citizens property rights.

PEACE
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 14 Sep 2022, 09:21:09

Yeah, the WEF. Bah. People in hell want ice water.

What we have had since 1945 is relative world peace, world trade, facilitated by US peace keeping. Now that will eventually go away. We are entering a new era with new challenges. The WEF elites want to retain their position and are trying to convince us how great it will be for them to stay our masters.

Except they have shown to be totally inept at economic forecasting. Their annual World Risks Report missed the biological threat (Covid) entirely and gave the then Russia-Ukraine conflict a mere head nod in January 2022.

Not so great having a central planning government if they can not forecast 6 months disruptions.

Even if they got their way (shudder) they would need a strong world wide police force to enforce peace and harmony. On the up side I bet they would make some drugs and available - soma.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 14 Sep 2022, 21:00:17

C8 wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:

Could you elaborate?

Why bother to hear it? The world is no more a giant conspiracy theory than it is flat.

There is a point, and there are reasons I have up and ignored folks with a signal to noise ratio too close to zero. Life is too short, for one thing.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Grifter » Fri 05 Apr 2024, 14:30:35

I used to love some of the really heated stuff, with Specop007, Bigg and Smallpoxgirl. This forum helped me through some difficult times back in the day and I still come and read now and again. In the early days I was inclined to believe there'd be a fast collapse but now it seems to be the long drawn out death rattle of an old Austin Allegro that's seizing up. Personally I think Facebook ruined the internet, lots of independent sites about specific niche topics was way better, but then maybe I'm just an old fart shouting at the sky.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Grifter » Fri 05 Apr 2024, 14:34:48

Doly wrote:

Totally agree!

A long while back Doly, you called me an hysterical doomer and you know what? You were right :lol:
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 05 Apr 2024, 22:12:21

Most human beings live on less than $10 daily and want to earn more to attain basic needs. The minority are counting on them to do that because their own incomes and returns on investment are dependent on increasing sales and use of goods and services.

These mean the ff.

What you think is an industrialized world isn't one yet.

The amount of materials and energy needed to attain industrialization will involve the equivalent of one more Earth. To meet what the minority want, which is also what they want for the majority, the equivalent of three more Earths will be needed.

Arms production and deployment increased thirtyfold the last three decades, according to the FAS. Some, like the U.S. military, believe that this plus diminishing returns plus the effects of environmental damage, will lead to more conflict.

Others, like HSBC, Lloyds of London, and even oil companies focus on the effects of diminishing returns and environmental damage. Some report that the latter has been eating up at least a third of world economic growth, which in turn has been weak because of diminishing returns.

Meanwhile, many factors indicate downward trends, from sea foodstock to soil conditions to fresh water pollution, with a few, like deforestation, countered.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion