Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

General News of Social Breakdown in the US: Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: General News of Social Breakdown in the US: Thread

Unread postby C8 » Mon 18 Jul 2022, 23:52:40

US Retailers Boost Security Personnel To Combat Soaring Thefts And Violent Crime

Eateries and supermarkets have beefed up security presence in response to mounting crime, with some operators spending money on private security, implementing new safety protocols, reducing hours of operation, and or even closing stores altogether, WSJ reports.

Last week, 16 Starbucks locations were permanently shuttered in major cities over incidents related to drug use and 'other disruptions' in its cafes. Just weeks before, the coffee chain walked back its "all inclusive" bathroom policy.

"We are facing things that the stores weren't built for," Starbucks CEO Howard Schutz said. "We are listening to our people and closing stores," he said, adding the government must be more proactive in crime fighting and treating mental illness as crime spirals out of control in liberal metro areas.

Casual dining chain Noodles & Co. encountered similar situations of rampant drug use in bathrooms. Meanwhile, supermarket Kroger Co. and drugstore Wallgreens have been pressured by increasing organized thefts.

A new study showed that 41% of Americans are more fearful to grab a bite to eat or shop in public areas because of rising violent crime. A national online survey by food-service research firm Lisa W. Miller & Associates LLC said that figure is up from 39% in March. The firm surveyed 1,005 adults earlier this month.

New Federal Bureau of Investigation statistics shows aggravated assaults that took place in supermarkets increased by a whopping 73% between 2018 to 2020 and by 60% in restaurants during that period.

In Southern California earlier this month, a handful of 7-Eleven stores were closed after a string of robberies at the convenience store left two people dead and three others injured.

Mod Super Fast Pizza Holdings LLC's store managers have reported increasing violent crime, such as theft and robberies, over the past six months at some of its 520-stores across the US.

"There seems to be a layer of stress going into the restaurants, more than it used to," Becky Mulligan, senior vice president of operations, said.

This month's survey by grocery trade group FMI said 72% of its 18 food retailers representing over 12,000 stores said they were initiating plans to deal with violence prevention, while 88% of respondents said they saw a jump in robberies.

Walking into a Wegmans supermarket, with most stores based in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, customers are greeted with local police or private security (sometimes off-duty cops) patrolling the aisles for those attempting to steal food.

Thefts appear to be a significant issue plaguing US retailers. Relaxed shoplifting rules in California have led to a number of Walgreens stores closing across San Francisco.

And let's not forget the countless reports of 'smash and grabs' across all sorts of retailers from California to New York. One of the most notable flash mob raids was at a Nordstrom department store in an upscale community on the outskirts of the San Francisco Bay Area, called Walnut Creek, where 50-80 people ransacked the store late last year.

Best Buy recently blamed sliding margins on an increased number of thefts nationwide.

"We are seeing more and more particularly organized retail crime," Chief Executive Officer Corie Barry said on a conference call with analysts. "You can see that pressure in our financials, and more importantly, frankly, you can see that pressure with our associates. It's traumatizing."

Increased shoplifting recently forced Target to reduce operating hours at several California locations.

Theft and violence across retailer stores come as the worst inflation has unequally crushed the working poor the hardest and wiped out their savings. In periods of economic turmoil, crime tends to increase.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/us-re ... lent-crime

Welcome to "smash and grab" America courtesy of soft on crime policies in liberal cities and states and a general demonization of police by the leftwing media.

So....
1. Are YOU less likely to go into a restaurant or store for fear of violence?

2. Would you tell a relative to NOT work in one of these paces for safety reasons?

3. What should be done to stop the slide into anarchy?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 00:24:53

POLITICS
JULY 18, 2022
Media Confidence Ratings at Record Lows
BY MEGAN BRENAN

16% of Americans have a great deal/quite a lot of confidence in newspapers
11% have same the degree of confidence in television news
Democrats' confidence low but higher than Republicans', independents'

https://news.gallup.com/poll/394817/med ... -lows.aspx

Democracy can't survive when reporters become activists and throw away objectivity and balance. All the danger signs for America's future are blinking red.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 05:30:17

C8,

it has been a long standing personal rule that should I feel a need for a gun for personal safety I would move.

In 2016 we had already made plans to retire and move to the boat, the e was started. So when some yahoo tried to break into our house while we were inside, and I felt the need for a bedside protection weapon, we just moved instead. Subsequently we have sold the house in part due to security concerns. For example, I was working on the front of the house when a rather belligerent homeless man tried to get in, but I chased him off.

What to do? Not a clue, because no one would listen to ke even if I knew.

I believe it is part if our genetic programming, a adjustment feature of some type. Perhaps archaic but real.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 06:34:33

C8 wrote:
US Retailers Boost Security Personnel To Combat Soaring Thefts And Violent Crime

Relaxed shoplifting rules in California have led to a number of Walgreens stores closing across San Francisco.

Welcome to "smash and grab" America courtesy of soft on crime policies in liberal cities and states and a general demonization of police by the leftwing media.

So....

2. Would you tell a relative to NOT work in one of these paces for safety reasons?

I know that this is a US thread, but I thought some of you might find this interesting as a comparison.

When I grew up in Uruguay in the 70s and 80s, it was a very peaceful and safe country, as long as you followed the law and obeyed the military and police. Getting cheeky with them could get you in a world of trouble, though. As we all know kids and teenagers are not always very good at respecting authority, following rules, and behaving as expected, though, which led to many of them getting in trouble. Now we have a very particular crime problem down there, which is also a consequence of leniency in prosecution, but of a very particular type.

In the USA, the value of the stolen property is very relevant to the prosecution, and that is the case in Uruguay, too. Uruguay, though, is very particular about not prosecuting minors under the age of 18, except in cases involving extreme physical violence against people. In other words, the age of the offender matters greatly. People under 18 will almost never be institutionalized for any kind of theft, vandalism, breaking and entering, etc.

This has led to crime becoming a family business. Criminals train their children to commit many types of crimes from a very young age under their parents, uncles, and grandparents' supervision. The adults only become involved if people defend themselves and try to hold the kids, hit them, or something. Sometimes these "kids" are very big, strong, and dangerous gangs of teenagers. In Uruguay, you are never safe from minors, who can rob, steal, and break in with complete impunity for many years.

The laws that caused this problem were a well-intentioned reaction to the behavior of the police and military during the US sponsored right wing military dictatorship of the 70s and 80s, which systematically abused their powers and arbitrarily detained and beat up kids for 13 years.

The proper balance between crime and punishment is a very tricky issue.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 16:01:13

1. Less government programs (don't incentivize immoral or slothful behavior).
2. More effective and stricter law enforcement.
3. Increase the culture of personal responsibility.
4. Allow law abiding (non-criminal) citizens to protect themselves with the best technology available (firearms but also other weapons).
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Doly » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 14:47:26

1. Less government programs (don't incentivize immoral or slothful behavior).

I'm glad we agree on eliminating all government lobbying by the rich, which is clearly both immoral and slothful.

2. More effective and stricter law enforcement.

I'm glad we agree on gun control. How can you expect cops to be effective when there are so many criminals armed to the teeth?

3. Increase the culture of personal responsibility.

Agreed. Take personal responsibility for reasoning correctly, I say.

4. Allow law abiding (non-criminal) citizens to protect themselves with the best technology available (firearms but also other weapons).

Firearms are the worst technology available to protect yourself from anything. Have you ever seen a bullet stopped by a firearm?

In my opinion, the best technology available to protect yourself is a ticket in any available transport to a country where firearms aren't widely available, food is plentiful and cheap, and has plenty of renewable energy that won't be affected by the imminent peak oil and peak gas.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 19:22:52

JuanP wrote:
C8 wrote:

Relaxed shoplifting rules in California have led to a number of Walgreens stores closing across San Francisco.

So....

I know that this is a US thread, but I thought some of you might find this interesting as a comparison.

When I grew up in Uruguay in the 70s and 80s, it was a very peaceful and safe country, as long as you followed the law and obeyed the military and police. Getting cheeky with them could get you in a world of trouble, though. As we all know kids and teenagers are not always very good at respecting authority, following rules, and behaving as expected, though, which led to many of them getting in trouble. Now we have a very particular crime problem down there, which is also a consequence of leniency in prosecution, but of a very particular type.

In the USA, the value of the stolen property is very relevant to the prosecution, and that is the case in Uruguay, too. Uruguay, though, is very particular about not prosecuting minors under the age of 18, except in cases involving extreme physical violence against people. In other words, the age of the offender matters greatly. People under 18 will almost never be institutionalized for any kind of theft, vandalism, breaking and entering, etc.

This has led to crime becoming a family business. Criminals train their children to commit many types of crimes from a very young age under their parents, uncles, and grandparents' supervision. The adults only become involved if people defend themselves and try to hold the kids, hit them, or something. Sometimes these "kids" are very big, strong, and dangerous gangs of teenagers. In Uruguay, you are never safe from minors, who can rob, steal, and break in with complete impunity for many years.

The laws that caused this problem were a well-intentioned reaction to the behavior of the police and military during the US sponsored right wing military dictatorship of the 70s and 80s, which systematically abused their powers and arbitrarily detained and beat up kids for 13 years.

In the USA the kids are fairly safe from harsh treatment, but if a parent or other adult is training them for a life of crime the adult will get areal serious term in prison if identified and the prosecution wants political points for punishing someone who endangered kids. Unfortunately a lot of prosecutors do a terrible job, for example when an under age prostitute is arrested the client is usually issued a misdemeanor offense, small fine and walk free. If that same client seduced a 14 year old cheerleader instead of paying a pimp to provide her the client would be facing statutory rape charges and risk serious beating or death as a child molester in prison. A lot of big tough prisoners have kids on the outside and take pleasure in pounding molesters into pulp on general principals. It isn't as if it would be difficult for prosecutors to have a prostitute examined to determine actual calendar age, they just do not care.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 08:01:21

In New Jersey they will now call “inmates” “residents.”

So ya see, everything is now fixed. :-D

FI’s.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 08:08:26

In my opinion, the best technology available to protect yourself is a ticket in any available transport to a country where firearms aren't widely available, food is plentiful and cheap, and has plenty of renewable energy that won't be affected by the imminent peak oil and peak gas.

You got 3 examples of a place that meets this criteria?

The place I have been that most closely meets these requirements is Chateau Belair, St. Lucia.

Tropical climate
No guns
Plenty if home grown food
A water wheel making electricity
No sign of any kind of health care

It was pretty OK the first time we visited. No dock (too poor) so we had to haul the dink up on the beach.

The next visit the swell was running and we had a damn tough time getting off the beach. A local told us that this was the only landing spot because the other beach was now over run by a homeless encampment, “bad people, don’t go there.” While not positive I suspect they were Haitians, that would be typical. I think the town is still there. The volcano flow got close but did not quite over run the village.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 16:42:57

JuanP wrote:
C8 wrote:

So....

absolutely fascinating read- thank you
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 16:43:11

Newfie wrote:

You got 3 examples of a place that meets this criteria?

The place I have been that most closely meets these requirements is Chateau Belair, St. Lucia.

Tropical climate
No guns
Plenty if home grown food
A water wheel making electricity
No sign of any kind of health care

It was pretty OK the first time we visited. No dock (too poor) so we had to haul the dink up on the beach.

The next visit the swell was running and we had a damn tough time getting off the beach. A local told us that this was the only landing spot because the other beach was now over run by a homeless encampment, “bad people, don’t go there.” While not positive I suspect they were Haitians, that would be typical. I think the town is still there. The volcano flow got close but did not quite over run the village.

You might try Saint Helena in the South Atlantic. It was Napoleons place of exile, rather remote but they speak English and are reported to be a friendly population. Not a lot of job opportunities but for pensioners that doesn't matter much.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby C8 » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 16:47:26

Newfie wrote:The place I have been that most closely meets these requirements is Chateau Belair, St. Lucia

The next visit the swell was running and we had a damn tough time getting off the beach. A local told us that this was the only landing spot because the other beach was now over run by a homeless encampment, “bad people, don’t go there.” While not positive I suspect they were Haitians, that would be typical.

There is something in the air- I don't know what it is- but it seems like the entire world is becoming more permissive. I would love to know why this is. It is very strange for all cultures to move in the same directions, there has to be a common element. Electronics? Decline of Religion? Increased poverty?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 16:51:31

I think you are on to something there and have had similar thoughts.

The “herd” is on the move. Scary to think of an 8 billion critter herd stampeding.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jato0072 » Thu 21 Jul 2022, 21:47:26

I would love to know why this is.

For myself and extended family / friends circle, it was 2020; the lockdowns, riots, increase in crime, coerced vaccinations (now overturned OSHA rule, Excutive Orders, Corporate mandates, etc.). The governing structure of the USA seems to be changing rapidly. I am thankful for the recent SCOTUS rulings in an effort to protect the constitution, but I don't think it will be enough to keep our Constitutional Federal Republic functioning much longer. I await the Midterm election results for some clarification on the issue.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 07:05:43

Another thought

MAYBE this global “permissiveness”, or ennuie, or melancholy, or anxiety is really more a reflection of our global media elites telling us how we feel.

I know 2 groups of people. One group is far left wing and there are a lot of “woke” attitudes. They are laughably out of touch with reality and bizarrely inconsistent in their loudly prattled views. Like an upset flock of geese honking. And they dutifully mouth the CNN mantra like a rosary.

The other crowd I know are just the normal people I interact with in my life, folks I chat with, and they are pretty fed up with the “woke” BS. 2 couples, both core D, have grand daughters, 10 and 11, who have declared themselves Lesbian. They both believe it is just the influence if media in the girls and the girls wanting to fit in and be special. While the Grand Moms are pretty reserved, I can see a certain seething in the way they grit their teeth.

MAYBE common sense is more resilient than would alpear by looking at media created by the arts and crafts world.

MAYBE then turns to HOPEFULLY.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 08:05:46

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh pooice set to loose professional accreditation.

https://broadandliberty.com/2022/07/21/ ... editation/

John Locke said the only right you give up in forming a government is the right of vigilantism. Others have noted that the principal foundation, the founding principal of government, is to reduce violence by providing an alternative to revenge.

My observation is that, in Philadelphia, the increase in murders is more than wholly made up of execution style slayings. People will abide as long as they perceive the system as fair.

I believe this is because, for a significant portion of the population, city government has ceased to perform its fundamental function of providing a fair alternative to revenge.

In short we are no longer a nation of laws. Perhaps this is a global situation?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 23:42:38

Newfie wrote:Philadelphia and Pittsburgh pooice set to loose professional accreditation.

https://broadandliberty.com/2022/07/21/ ... editation/

John Locke said the only right you give up in forming a government is the right of vigilantism. Others have noted that the principal foundation, the founding principal of government, is to reduce violence by providing an alternative to revenge.

My observation is that, in Philadelphia, the increase in murders is more than wholly made up of execution style slayings. People will abide as long as they perceive the system as fair.

I believe this is because, for a significant portion of the population, city government has ceased to perform its fundamental function of providing a fair alternative to revenge.

In short we are no longer a nation of laws. Perhaps this is a global situation?

Philly is moving in step w/ other cities to base arrests on racial equality rather than number of offenses- this creates black privilege to commit crimes w/o arrest or detention. America is entering race based socialism and the lack of law enforcement will eventually lead to total breakdown. Its much easier to arrest 200 than let them off and eventually have to arrest 20,000. Lawlessness spreads like a cancer and eventually kills the nation.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 03:58:01

Newfie wrote:C8,

it has been a long standing personal rule that should I feel a need for a gun for personal safety I would move.

They are like condoms, you're best to have a one and not need it, than need it and not have one.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 11:42:20

I have pump shotguns and a a couple of 1911s. They are in the locked box marked “Plan B.” :-D

I once killed a deer at about 3 feet with bird shot. Zombie movies about sums up the result. Pretty definitive.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Sat 30 Jul 2022, 18:23:08

SPAM goes on lockdown due to inflation in NYC

It’s the nation’s crises in a can.

Inflation and crime have gotten so bad in Gotham that even cheap meat like Spam has to be locked up.

At Duane Reade’s store in the Port Authority bus depot, the shelf-stable product — only $3.99 a can — is now being stocked in plastic, anti-theft cases.

“I’ve never seen that before!” one cashier laughed while using a magnet to remove a can of Spam from its cage.

The cashier was among the employees, tourists and store regulars stunned that the iconic blue-and-yellow cans are now being kept under lock-and-key — some even poking fun at the sight as “a sort of Jeff Koons homage,” per one viral tweet.

Jenny Kenny, 43, who was visiting from Louisville, KY, was aware of the ongoing crime waves hitting cities like New York and San Francisco, but still couldn’t believe the sight of “so many things in boxes.”

As prices and crime skyrocket, New York City stores have taken to locking up staples like toothpaste and soap to prevent crooks from stealing and then hawking the products on the sidewalk or online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay.

Yet some shoppers were confused why Spam, along with $1.89 cans of StarKist tuna, was enclosed under plastic, while pricier foodstuffs like $5.49 cans of Amy’s soup sat unencumbered.

“To put Spam in a cage is stupid — and kind of insulting to the customers that would buy it,” said shopper Dennis Snow, 46.

Snow said he doesn’t think Spam is being stolen to “sell it for crack,” but rather because the homeless in the area are looking for a quick and easy meal.

This is a confluence of three trends supported strongly by the Democratic Party:
Massive money printing that leads to inflation
Soft on crime rules that make stealing a no risk activity- thieves are seen as heroes
Endless support programs (free drugs, etc.) to grow a giant homeless population and discourage work
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion