Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

News of the Stupid

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

News of the Stupid

Unread postby C8 » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 00:32:33

Mum mauled to death after XL Bully dog that's 'bigger than a lion' suddenly 'snapped'
Mum-of-two Joanne Robinson, 43, was mauled to death by her pet dog American Bully XL dog in an attack at her home which almost killed her partner who is still recovering in hospital

Pictures have been released of a woman mauled to death by her own dog in a brutal attack which almost killed her partner.

The victim, 43-year-old mum-of-two Joanne Robinson, was attacked in her home by one of the family’s two American Bully XL dogs.

She is understood to have been pinned down by the jaws of the pet, named Rocco, after coming home from a night out.

Her partner, Jamie Stead, 42, suffered devastating injuries to his face, hands and chest as he tried to pull the animal away from her and is still recovering in hospital.

He has reportedly undergone skin grafting for the potentially life-changing injuries.

Joanne was earlier described as a "beautiful angel" by her friends in tributes left near her home in West Melton, near Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Pictures of the tragic animal owner have now been released following the fatal attack as police in Rotherham took the dogs away.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... d-27503063

People are crazy to have anything bigger than a bulldog- any dog can go wild at any time and the power of their jaws is immense. Who brings a carnivore into their homes? Hundreds of children have been mauled. Why not bring home a tiger instead.

Idiot nation
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: News of the Stupid

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 06:59:52

Thankfully the children weren't hurt. I know of an 8-year-old boy who got bit in the head by a pit-bull a few weeks back. The dog grabbed the kid's head and shook him around for a minute or so. The kid got lucky and didn't suffer any permanent damage. His retarded father had a pit bull, Argentinian Dogo, Grand Mastiff, and Doberman inside the house; all rescued from shelters.

Please don't get me started on people and their relationships with dogs!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Tue 19 Jul 2022, 21:37:30

A camper scared off a bear — then the grizzly came back and killed her

Early on July 6, 2021, Leah Lokan awoke to a 417-pound grizzly bear a few feet from her tent, so close that she heard when the bear “huffed” at her head.

“Bear! Bear!” Lokan yelled, prompting Joe and Kim Cole — two other cyclists camping in the small town of Ovando as they trekked across Montana — to spring from their nearby tent, armed with bear spray and clamoring as much as possible, according to a 26-page report addressed by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee’s executive body earlier this month.

The bear fled.

After scaring it off, Lokan, a 65-year-old visiting from Chico, Calif., moved food out of her tent to a nearby building. She armed herself with a can of bear spray. She declined an offer to stay in a hotel for the night. Then, she and the Coles returned to their respective tents.

Lokan’s extra precautionary measures weren’t enough. The bear returned about an hour after the first encounter and mauled her to death.

A year later, wildlife officials said the bear that killed her had developed a “predatory instinct.” Although they couldn’t determine exactly how such an instinct evolved, food and toiletries inside and near Lokan’s tent, as well as the lingering smell of cooked food from July Fourth picnic celebrations, likely played a role.

“While foraging under the cover of darkness in Ovando, perhaps due to a simple movement made by the sleeping victim, or a certain sound made by the victim, the bear reacted,” the committee’s board of review wrote in their Jan. 4 report, which was discussed earlier this month during the executive body’s summer meeting. The 11-member review board included officials from Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks; the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; and the U.S. Forest Service.

Such predatory behavior is rare, even though many of the black and grizzly bears living in the contiguous United States exhibit a certain degree of habituation, officials said in the report. To survive, bears have to be “non-reactive” to people if they want to take advantage of “the rich low elevation habitats that are dominated by humans.”

And most do, despite becoming “mildly food-conditioned” by occasional encounters with unnatural food sources such as garbage, grains and bird feeders, the report said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a ... ar-AAZJNrD

Camping with giant predators is a strange and dangerous pastime, but meeting one and going back to the site is crazy as hell. People have a sense of invincibility that fools them. I guess a lot of people don't really want to live. There are safer ways to camp.

And that bear spray? I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended for a 400 lb grizzly.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 04:33:07

Never would have happened 100 years ago, bear would have shot on sight on the first encounter. People are basically stupid now and this pet culture has softened their brains to the point where think every animal is somehow just a decent human in a furry coat.

A woman on a Gold Coast golf course down here had the guts kicked out of her by a big Roo. Now how could that happen when you're standing there with a golf club in your hands and you have the experience and strength to hit a tiny ball hundreds of meters in a precise direction? I'd have bashed its brains in as soon it came in range because wild Roos only get that close when they are attacking. Stupid woman meets her fate.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 25 Jul 2022, 07:35:08

I am rooting for the roo.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 25 Jul 2022, 17:39:17

They advise not to put food in one's tent when camping. Even toiletries are problematic. Anything with an odor could be a problem. Fortunately, bears don't care much for human body odor.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby C8 » Thu 11 Aug 2022, 22:29:19

The car crash crisis
Traffic accident fatalities are on the rise. What can be done?

In 2021, an estimated 42,915 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in the United States — a 10.5 percent increase from 2020. Already this year, there have been thousands of traffic accident fatalities, including a nearly 1-year-old boy who was killed last week in Los Angeles when a speeding car slammed into his family's vehicle. Here's everything you need to know:

What are the latest statistics on motor vehicle traffic accidents in the U.S.?
In May, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released its early estimate of traffic fatalities for 2021 and projected a 10.5 percent increase from the 38,824 fatalities in 2020 and an 18 percent increase from 2019. "The projection is the highest number of fatalities since 2005 and the largest annual percentage increase in the Fatality Analysis Reporting System's history," the NHTSA said. The agency also estimated that at least 7,300 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles in 2021, up 13 percent from 2020. Contributing factors to some of these deaths included alcohol, speeding, and not wearing a seatbelt.

Why are deadly car accidents on the rise?
Experts say there are several reasons behind this jump in fatalities, including drivers distracted by their cell phones and more trucks, SUVs, and electric cars on the road. While new vehicles have more safety features, like backup cameras, the Environmental Protection Agency says that today's cars are heavier and have greater horsepower than ever before. Horsepower in vehicles is up almost 80 percent compared to 1975, the EPA reports, and the average vehicle weight for 2021 models was more than 4,100 pounds.

Michael Brooks, acting executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, told CNBC in May that "the heavier the vehicle is and the higher the vehicle is, the more likely it's going to kill a pedestrian and the more likely it's not going to be compatible with the little sedan and do some serious damage." In the United States, there is "a conflicting culture" around cars, Brooks said. "People want these flashy, big ticket items and we want to be able to do what we want in our cars, but at the same time, we're killing each other at a rate (nearly) higher than ever before, and something needs to be done."

People are speeding like crazy and looking at their phones while driving- its amazing how many people race full speed to a stop light or try weaving. And everyone is now driving big ego trucks and SUV's- they never leave a paved road- it's all fantasy and ego. They think their airbags will save them.

If you can avoid driving then avoid it- group shopping trips, go when its not rush hour, avoid rain and darkness.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 12 Aug 2022, 06:33:05

C8, there is so much in your comments that is obvious and true.

I only drive 6 months a year but then drive a lot. So every year I have to reorient to driving, and my initiation is into big city heavy traffic. Initially it frightens me and I need to adjust until that renewed risk is absorbed into my system.

Its a funny feeling.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Doly » Fri 12 Aug 2022, 13:08:27

If you can avoid driving then avoid it

I do. I don't have a car.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby C8 » Fri 12 Aug 2022, 20:19:33

The increase in deaths shows that technology doesn't necessarily lead to improvement b/c human nature reacts to it. Cars that have airbags, driver assistance, cameras, auto driving, etc. just lead people to compensate by driving faster, multi-tasking, taking more risks.

Techno optimists never understand this dynamic.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 00:46:03

Renowned snake researcher dead after he was bitten by rattlesnake in West Virginia

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/renowned- ... ttlesnake/

Speaks for itself
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 00:48:29

Man rescued from tunnel he was allegedly digging to rob bank in Rome

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/man-rescu ... k-in-rome/

Night of the idiots
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby C8 » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 00:57:35

Murder suspect calls 911 over cold McDonald’s fries, ends up in police chase

A Georgia murder suspect with an outstanding warrant called 911 to complain about being served cold French fries at McDonald’s – then ended up in cuffs after trying to run from cops.

Antoine Sims, 24, was wanted for missing a court date in a 2018 case where he and two others are accused of setting fire to a car with a woman’s body inside after a botched drug deal led to a gunfight, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Sims was apparently out on bond and wearing an ankle bracelet when he visited a McDonald’s in Kennesaw on Friday and got into a verbal argument with the franchise owner, who also called 911.

The irate and hungry suspect said he and his fiancé had ordered food but weren’t given a receipt because of a machine problem, so they didn’t know their order number if it was called. When Sims went to the counter to get their meal, he found the food’s temperature wasn’t to his liking.

“I try the fries the fries they’re lukewarm but they’re not hot,” he’s heard telling a police officer outside of the store in bodycam footage. He asked for a new order of fries but was rejected and instead offered a refund that wouldn’t hit his account for days, he added.

The McDonald’s worker gave a different description, saying Sims got rowdy and threatened, “you better give me f—king fresh fries, motherf—ker,” he tells the officer in the footage. Sims then “shoved” his food and drink at the man, he claimed.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/murder-su ... ice-chase/

The saving grace of so many crooks is how stupid they are so they get easily caught
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 10:09:34

The bright crooks don’t get caught, they get elected. 8O
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 10:19:22

The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity" (1976)

This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
The second essay, "The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity" ("Le leggi fondamentali della stupidità umana", 1976),[3][4][5] explores the controversial subject of stupidity. Stupid people are seen as a group, more powerful by far than major organizations such as the Mafia and the industrial complex, which without regulations, leaders, or manifesto nonetheless manages to operate to great effect and with incredible coordination.[citation needed]

A graph with the benefits and losses that an individual causes to themself and causes to others.

These are Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:

Always and inevitably, everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

The probability that a certain person (will) be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.

A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.
Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular, non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places, and under any circumstances, to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.

A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person.

Corollary: a stupid person is more dangerous than a pillager.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_M._Cipolla
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 22:37:32

Newfie wrote:

Covid showed what can happen when millions of stupid people feel threatened.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 13 Aug 2022, 23:25:06

Doly wrote:
If you can avoid driving then avoid it

I do. I don't have a car.

I tried that for a couple years. Maybe 2 or 3? It wasn't easy. Particularly in winter when it was cold.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 14 Aug 2022, 04:20:56

C8 wrote:And everyone is now driving big ego trucks and SUV's

Well, no they're not.

I'm not, for example. Nor have I EVER. Nor do I have any intent to.

Everyone driving small and mid-sized sedans is not. Everyone who doesn't have a car is not. Etc.

If you're going to claim such things, don't expect to be considered at ALL credible.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 14 Aug 2022, 04:27:40

C8 wrote:
Newfie wrote:

Covid showed what can happen when millions of stupid people feel threatened.

So are you the "fount of truth" claiming that Covid isn't dangerous?

That it hasn't killed over a million people (and counting) in the US?

That it hasn't killed well over 6 million people (and counting) globally?

That long Covid doesn't exist?

What's next? That the earth is flat because you say so?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 14 Aug 2022, 08:31:47

I don’t think the point was that covid was not dangerous but that the covid response which was all over the place and often did serious damage.

It is going to take some years yet before we have a complete accounting of all the covid costs and dangers and effects. It may well end up that our covid response was worse than covid itself.

No point arguing about it right now, we don’t have the data yet and may never.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion