Unread postby mousepad » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 14:41:15

Doly wrote:I don't think I was ever wrong

Holy shit. Can I hire you?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change is Hoax pt 10

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 17:34:24

Doly wrote: As for myself, I don't think I was ever wrong about anything major, but I can only prove it by staying alive. It's a lot of other people who are wrong, but that's mostly their problem. I'm happy to explain things to people, but if they don't want to listen, they don't want to listen.

Indeed. :)

Explaining peak oil to one McPeakster at a time....
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 20 Jul 2022, 17:36:37

mousepad wrote:
Doly wrote:I don't think I was ever wrong

Good one!! I've always thought of scientific endeavors as always being wrong, so you might as well get used to it. Right up until you get it figured out. Then you just do the same stunt in another field of science or research topic and just keep moving along.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Co extinctions abruptly ending life

Unread postby Whitefang » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 00:46:15

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598- ... /figures/1

Like going to see dr.doom with bad news, time to make arrangements before your life ends abruptly.
Only thing that can make us sober and detached, the awareness of our death.
Drought kills most of organic life.

Co-extinctions reduce the robustness of planetary life to catastrophe. Response of global diversity to environmental change: progressive, monotonic increase (‘planetary heating’; left panel) or decrease (‘planetary cooling’; right panel) trajectories in local temperature. Species either go extinct based only on their tolerance to environmental conditions (‘environmental tolerance’ scenarios = blue curves), or where species go extinct not only when unable to cope with changed environmental conditions, but also following the depletion of their essential resources (‘co-extinction’ scenarios = magenta curves). Solid lines represent mean values, and shaded areas indicate the system boundaries (minimum-maximum) arising from 1000 randomly parametrized models (see Methods for details). Dotted lines show the decline in ‘tardigrade’ (extremophile) species richness in the environmental tolerance (blue) and in the co-extinction scenario (magenta) for both temperature trajectories.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-35068-1

Climate change and human activity are dooming species at an unprecedented rate via a plethora of direct and indirect, often synergic, mechanisms. Among these, primary extinctions driven by environmental change could be just the tip of an enormous extinction iceberg. As our understanding of the importance of ecological interactions in shaping ecosystem identity advances, it is becoming clearer how the disappearance of consumers following the depletion of their resources — a process known as ‘co-extinction’ — is more likely the major driver of biodiversity loss. Although the general relevance of co-extinctions is supported by a sound and robust theoretical background, the challenges in obtaining empirical information about ongoing (and past) co-extinction events complicate the assessment of their relative contributions to the rapid decline of species diversity even in well-known systems, let alone at the global scale. By subjecting a large set of virtual Earths to different trajectories of extreme environmental change (global heating and cooling), and by tracking species loss up to the complete annihilation of all life either accounting or not for co-extinction processes, we show how ecological dependencies amplify the direct effects of environmental change on the collapse of planetary diversity by up to ten times.

Planes did not ground the twin towers, a lot of thermite did, alike WTC7.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Abrupt irreversible climate change

Unread postby Whitefang » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 06:54:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRk6NjlCe4

Guy and Sam C. are one and the same.

Sure you can wear a mask for no reason, get a booster and see what happens.
Corona and war are fake, hoaxes. Damage is real though.
Sad for children but parents do have to make a stand and say no.
If we are done for we might as well make the satanists, death cult go first, global satanicide :x :twisted:
No need to believe in other realities, you just need to remember and for that you need personal power.
You do need to believe in this world for it to work just fine, shields against the unknown.
Two stages and your death the unifier. Body/mind and your ally.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/ally

ally
unify, join; a partner, friend, or confederate: Canada was our ally in World War II.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 20War%20II

Definition of allied
1: having or being in close association : CONNECTED
two families allied by marriage
2: joined in alliance by compact or treaty
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Co extinctions abruptly ending life

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 08:57:01

Whitefang wrote:Planes did not ground the twin towers, a lot of thermite did, alike WTC7.

Wrong. Directed energy weapons made them fall down go boom. Anyone knows this. Mundane conspiracy nonsense has no place in what caused the towers to collapse WhiteFang.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 13:14:23

Sure. But be warned that my definition of "anything major" could be a lot more restrictive than yours.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 16:24:35

“Heat is unstoppable in China and also in nearby Taiwan: After weeks of being close to the record, on 21st July Taiwan recorded its highest temperature in history with 40.7C /105.3F at Yuli (Hualien county).

“Also, all time high at Sanmen, China with 41.8C / 107.2F. Temperatures will keep rising.”

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status ... 1462806528
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 16:50:17

China endures summer of extreme weather as record rainfall and scorching heat wave cause havoc

Towns and farmlands inundated by floods, homes and roads buried by landslides, crops withering under scorching heat, hazmat-suited Covid workers collapsing from heatstroke.
Since summer began, scenes of devastation and misery have been playing out across China as the world's most populous nation grapples with an unrelenting torrent of extreme weather emergencies.
Scientists have been warning for years that the climate crisis would amplify extreme weather, making it deadlier and more frequent. Now, like much of the world, China is reeling from its impact.

Since the country's rainy season started in May, heavy rainstorms have brought severe flooding and landslides to large swathes of southern China, killing dozens of people, displacing millions and causing economic losses running into billions of yuan.

In June, extreme rainfall broke "historical records" in coastal Fujian province, and parts of Guangdong and Guangxi provinces. At the same time, a heat wave began to envelop northern China, pushing temperatures over 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).
That heat wave has now engulfed half the country, affecting more than 900 million people -- or about 64% of the population. All but two northeastern provinces in China have issued high-temperature warnings, with 84 cities issuing their highest-level red alerts last Wednesday.
In recent weeks, a total of 71 national weather stations across China have logged temperatures that smashed records.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/20/chin ... index.html

Smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records smashed records.

The most frequently heard words from now until runaway climate change finishes smashing techno industrial civilization & the human race to bits.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 16:58:05

Wednesday’s record rains in Bangkok cripple the centre of the city

Wednesday night’s downpour wasn’t just torrential, it was record-breaking! It was the highest rainfall recorded in 67 years in some areas of the centre of the Thai capital. Even the 20 baht convenience store raincoats were no match for the downpour.

Rainfall measured at the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre in Khlong Toei district on Wednesday night was 132.5mm, surpassing the earlier record of 108mm on July 30th, 1955.

Over 100mm of rain poured into Khlong Toei and Bang Na, the central districts of Bangkok, on Wednesday evening, with more downpours predicted today and over the weekend.

In the Khlong Toei district, which takes in the area south of Sukhumvit Road to the Chao Phraya, rainfall was measured at 130.3mm, breaking a 26 year old record. And in Bang Na, 126mm was recorded, the heaviest in eight years.

In Min Buri district, north of Suvarnabhumi Airport, 165mm of rainfall was recorded for the whole day on Wednesday.

On Nut 71 and 39 were still under water during yesterday’s morning and afternoon peak, slowing traffic and forcing additional passengers onto the BTS.

Traffic in the Wattana business district was also crawling yesterday morning as both cars and foot traffic had to wade through the draining waters.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather ... f-the-city

https://youtu.be/rgc_LRjlbTU?t=38
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 22 Jul 2022, 17:39:01

Lahore receives record rainfall in seven-hour long unabated downpour

https://arynews.tv/lahore-receives-185m ... -downpour/

Pakistan Floods: Death Toll Tops 282 In 4 Weeks Of Mayhem Triggered By Rains, Flash Floods

" According to a report by The Associated Press, more than 5,000 houses have been washed away as the rains lashed pockets of Pakistan whilst it is reeling under a massive financial crunch.

The National Disaster Management Authority of Pakistan (NDMA) on Thursday stated in a report that the deluge of muddy swollen rivers and streams also washed away highways, bridges, trees, and electric poles. Several areas are facing hours-long power cuts for nearly 10-12 hours as glacial floods battered the provinces of Balochistan and Sindh."

"According to a DW report, the frequent flash floods resulted from the rising temperatures in northern Pakistan, which is home to over 7,000 glaciers."

https://www.republicworld.com/world-new ... eshow.html

You would think there is a broken record given how the the term "broken record" keeps repeating, but it's not a broken record it's a broken climate - broken for human flourishing and continued human existence on this planet.

Clearly, yet another Hothouse mass extinction is underway on earth. This planet has seen many Hothouse mass, and lesser extinctions. All starting with increases in greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere via volcanic traps burning up buried carbon. This time it's an ape doing the burning. The end result is almost certain to be the same.

The link below is to an article discussing a previously unknown Hothouse mass extinction. The process will look mightily familiar to those paying attention to the current changing climate.

Newly discovered mass extinction event triggered the dawn of the dinosaurs
Published: September 16, 2020

"Huge volcanic eruptions 233 million years ago pumped carbon dioxide, methane and water vapour into the atmosphere. This series of violent explosions, on what we now know as the west coast of Canada, led to massive global warming. Our new research has revealed that this was a planet-changing mass extinction event that killed off many of the dominant tetrapods and heralded the dawn of the dinosaurs."

https://theconversation.com/newly-disco ... urs-146248
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 05:19:19

One should keep in mind that human record keeping of weather extremes is only a tiny example of geologic and climate history. We assume what we have seen over the last 3000 years and only carefully measured and recorded over the last 200 years is the norm when it might have been an anomaly allowing us to flourish for what on planetary terms is a brief moment.
Another thing to consider is the steady decline in world wide annual deaths due to natural disasters over the last two centuries. Famines , floods, earthquakes, etc. Used to kill millions each year and now with modern weather forecasting, transportation and relief efforts are measured in the thousands.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 10:55:36

Elbow, meet knee! GW Elbow vs Knee of Human resiliency. Just could be now. How are crops and livestock suppose to survive these extremes?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 13:43:17

Britain isn’t built to withstand 40°C – here is where infrastructure is most likely to fail

Hot weather strains the pipes that pump our water, the power lines that deliver our energy and the roads and railways that get us home at night. As global temperatures continue to rise, national infrastructure will be challenged as never before.

Climate change is intensifying heatwaves in the UK, an affluent country with the capacity and resources to adapt to warmer temperatures. Still, very little has been done over the past ten years to address overheating in buildings and the rising risk to critical infrastructure. The country is unprepared to handle temperatures of more than 38°C consistently for long periods, which is more common in Mediterranean countries.

https://theconversation.com/britain-isn ... ail-187229

Same everywhere to one degree or another.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 15:11:10

"Hamburg in northern Germany has just smashed its all-time heat record and exceeds 40°C for the first time in recorded history."

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/statu ... 4182283264
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 18:42:56

Right-wing media downplay climate change amid deadly extreme heat, attack idea that we are in a climate emergency

Even though the extreme heat event in Europe is truly exceptional, and its connections to the climate crisis are unquestionable, multiple right-wing media figures used the extreme heat event to downplay and criticize any possible action to address the climate crisis.

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/r ... dea-we-are

The fun is just getting started. I lurk social media and I can tell you the anger towards climate deniers is increasing (in lockstep with their fear) and now there is much talk of punishing deniers by violent means. There is also an idea floating around that as soon as they get rid of the deniers then they can "finally" see action on "fighting climate change".
Perhaps there will be a race as to which will kill the deniers first, the furious mob or the next record smashing AGW Jacked disaster? Me? I'm just an observer. I never advocate for anything. Never voted in any election except in my trade union election and that's because my buddy was running for business manager. The notion that deniers are to blame is absurd because it implies humans have free will - ROFLMAO. Either way it goes it'll be funny to me.
I'm seeing an even greater level of denier doubling down post disaster these days. I wonder is that because denier boy had his property smashed to hell and it was his kids and wife who were killed this time? Oh well if not this time it'll be soon since we are fast approaching the point where our technology and energy will no longer suffice to save our soft, weak asses and once the bank is broken, no more blank cheque rescues and big gov bail out. No more flood subsidies from BIG GOV FEMA for Americans too. Never see any of those LOUD "bootstraps" preachers or LOUD libertarians refuse that flood insurance subsidy eh?
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mousepad » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 19:47:48

FamousDrScanlon wrote:the anger towards climate deniers is increasing

So the mob found their guilty, not realizing that the problem is too many people, too much consumption, too high a standard of living. Let me guess, the guy that screams the loudest for the head of the denier is the bro from CA driving a tesla, making $250k/yr, flying to Ibon's nature retreat or other far flung place 3 times/yr. All the while his 3000sqft house tempered year round to perfect 74F with central heat and AC.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 20:50:38

mousepad wrote:....
. Let me guess, the guy that screams the loudest for the head of the denier is the bro from CA driving a tesla, making $250k/yr, flying to Ibon's nature retreat or other far flung place 3 times/yr. All the while his 3000sqft house tempered year round to perfect 74F with central heat and AC.

I expect that is a very good guess. 8)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 23 Jul 2022, 23:16:52

mousepad, that species of denier exists but the difference is unlike smug self assured right-wing deniers he is not pissing on the grave of the victims or in the faces of their family and friends who survived. Folks get touchy about that sort of thing.

As far as I can tell continued denial (contrarianism style) might be the only thing preventing your politicians from spending tax dollars to protect your infrastructure and the people who use it. It's far too late to slow down climate change. That's what runaway means. The countries that have made no effort at protection will go down first and will end up spending even more on climate, but on post disaster with those blank check rescues and stupidly rebuilding on the exact same spot.

Unless you are already an old man, runaway climate change plus the other Overshoot predicaments and problems is going to shorten and impoverish your life and the lives of your kids and grand-kids and they will suffer more than they had to getting there. That shit, maximum suffering and damage, is on the deniers & the wealthy who funded the anti-science poison well campaigns at the tune of a billion a year for the last couple decades running. Almost everything out of white boy American deniers mouth was conceived in a multi industry funded think tank and parroted by dumb deniers. You know like the stupid kid who did not do his homework and "borrows" the smart kid's essay only to copy it verbatim and get caught... duh duh dumb denier. We were never not going to use the energy. Anyone with half a brain could have seen that 20 years ago. I've found it very amusing watching right wing puppets get triggered by environmentalists when the environmentalism movement is the biggest failed movement in the history of social movements. In spite of 50 years of environmentalism being slaughtered, all the little American right-wing man-boys lose their shit every time Al Gore or that little 16 year old girl, Greta from Sweden's name is mentioned. Never has a tiny little girl caused so many so called men to lose their shit - lol. I challenge anyone to demonstrate environmentalism stopping or slowing economic growth. Unless you are working off different data than I have you can't do it. At best it saved (delayed cutting down) a stand of trees here and diverted a pipeline there - big whoop. Less than a paper cut comparatively. Anyone who is pro growth has known nothing but winning these last 50 years...except US right wing nuts listening to Rush & Co who made it sound as if they were totally oppressed and living in communist China. Start at Earth day #1 1970 and that 50 + years of human growth, in all categories, puts any known cancer to shame. Too bad for humans that every cancer has it's day. Nothing grows forever. I guess a case could be made that the right wing paranoia over environmentalism was due because many of Rush Limbaugh & Co's listeners were personal failures and they wrongly blame environmentalism for much of it. Me? I kicked ass. I took advantage of my white privilege and opportunities.

The fact that most Americans turn everything into a poo flinging morality play is why much of the world watches you. The climate fighting will only make the freak show more freaky and entertaining.

Lowest common climate denier - https://youtu.be/dHmJSsRLgj4
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 24 Jul 2022, 01:27:01

FamousDrScanlon wrote:...
The fact that most Americans turn everything into a poo flinging morality play is why much of the world watches you. The climate fighting will only make the freak show more freaky and entertaining.

That was a good one, all of it. Now, I don't know which to fear more, climate change or the reaction to climate change.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate