Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 03:42:17

EV sales collapse as subsidies and tax credits come to an abrupt halt

AJOT | Mar 01 2023

The global electric vehicle (EV) market is reeling from one of the most dramatic collapses in monthly sales to date... EV subsidies in many European countries and mainland China were sliced at the start of the year, and a return of any significance is highly unlikely in the immediate future...
Germany have seen a steep falloff in sales and market share. Sales in Germany dropped about a third in January compared to 2022, totaling only 27,000 for the month. Market share in the country also fell off a cliff –

https://www.ajot.com/news/ev-sales-coll ... st%2015%25.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 04:48:04

Global plugin vehicle registrations were up 70% in April 2023 compared to April 2022. There were 928,000 registrations, making it possibly the last month with fewer than one million sales per month ever for plugin electric vehicles. In the end, plugins represented 14% share of the overall auto market (10% BEV share alone).
World EV Sales Now 14% Of World Auto Sales
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 13:48:57

theluckycountry wrote:
EV sales collapse as subsidies and tax credits come to an abrupt halt

AJOT | Mar 01 2023

The global electric vehicle (EV) market is reeling from one of the most dramatic collapses in monthly sales to date... EV subsidies in many European countries and mainland China were sliced at the start of the year, and a return of any significance is highly unlikely in the immediate future...
Germany have seen a steep falloff in sales and market share. Sales in Germany dropped about a third in January compared to 2022, totaling only 27,000 for the month. Market share in the country also fell off a cliff –

https://www.ajot.com/news/ev-sales-coll ... st%2015%25.

Yup. You are 100% right on that.

Its not quite clear if the drop in demand is due the fact that most of the people who want an EV have already bought one (or two, if their first one has already been scrapped).

The worsening economy could also be driving down demand for EVs.

Or it could be both.....the pool of potential EV buyers has been mostly tapped out AND the economy is going south.

In any event its clear the sudden drop in demand for EVs has got the EV makers spooked.......

Tesla, for instance, has now cut prices FIVE TIMES here in the US in an attempt to boost consumer demand

tesla-cuts-prices-us-spur-demand-2023

And we're not even into the recession yet here in the USA, although its already started in Germany and a few other places....

When the recession finally hits demand for EVs and most everything else is going to fall even more.

Demand for EVs is dropping......and will drop even more when/if the recession hits

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 14:31:22

Plantagenet wrote:Its not quite clear if the drop in demand is due the fact that most of the people who want an EV have already bought one (or two, if their first one has already been scrapped).

Or bought 2 and keeps them both running. Just an observation from someone who actually owns EVs (plural) and knows the difference between one of those dangerous hybrids (lions and tigers and high possibility of bursting into flames oh my!) and those EVs that don't burst into flames near as often as those hybrids or ICE antiques.

Is there anything else a real EV owner (2!) can clear up for someone who has zero experience with them?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 18:45:36

Plantagenet wrote:Its not quite clear if the drop in demand is due the fact that most of the people who want an EV have already bought one (or two, if their first one has already been scrapped).

The worsening economy could also be driving down demand for EVs.

Or it could be both.....the pool of potential EV buyers has been mostly tapped out AND the economy is going south.

In any event its clear the sudden drop in demand for EVs has got the EV makers spooked.......

You make a valid point, I never considered the write-off factor, nor the fact that people who had owned a 3 or 4 year old Tesla would be trading up to avoid the obvious collapse in value when the battery falls off a cliff. We all know the phenomena from our laptops and mobile phones, they work as predicted for 4 or 5 years then the battery suddenly drops off in capacity. Not a problem for a laptop, you just order another battery or buy the latest one.

Then there is the subsidies. In the US they haven't been scrapped but in every country they have been sales have fallen off a cliff. Norway is the classic example of this, it "was" the world leader in EV adoption, due to massive subsidies and cheap electricity.

EV sales in Norway collapsed in January
08 February 2023

The country has recorded the lowest number of cars registered since 1962 with only 1,860 new cars in January.

That is truly a bleak number - in December there were 41,441 cars sold, out of which 39,497 were registered that month. December last year was a gold-rush moment for car buyers in Norway as the government announced it was ending some of the most generous EV subsidies come January.

Until last year electric cars in Norway were exempt from VAT (25%) and purchase or import tax. From this year unfortunately the VAT is back and only the first NOK500,000 (€45,000) of the price of the car is exempt. There is a new purchase tax for EVs that’s levied based on their weight and the regular road tax is applied as well.

-Electric cars in Norway no longer have the access to free toll roads and now have to pay 70% of the usual charge.
-There are no longer free ferries and access to bus lanes is restricted from this year as well.
-While before company vehicles enjoyed generous car tax reduction of up to 50%, this is now down to 20%.

Interestingly though, the leased electric cars are exempt from 25% VAT and people living in apartment blocks have a legal right to an EV charging point.

https://www.arenaev.com/ev_sales_in_nor ... s-1404.php

Here is your typical Bait and Switch, or as I like to refer to it, getting all the rabbits into the hutch before the slaughter. If those EV buyers had been told before hand that all these perks would be removed I wonder what the sales figures would have been?

The Norwegian government plans to ban the sale of new ICE cars after 2025, which I assume will result in a flood of ICE sales before that date. At least the ice cars will be serviceable for 20 years and more, well into the time when I assume gasoline supplies will be problematic or very very expensive. That will be of no comfort for EV buyers on that future date because EV's are made of oil too and their price will go through the roof. It's a lose lose for the EV buyer I'm afraid.

The fact that so many people have bought them to date just points to the gullibility of the average person when it comes to investment. They let other people do their thinking for them, in this case Elon Musk and Biden are doing the thinking for them, and they just swallow the propaganda like good little goose stepping solders of the bright techno age.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 19:01:49

And for the icing on the Norwegian cake

Why Is Electricity So Expensive In Norway Right Now?
September 5, 2022

While one kilowatt-hour of electricity cost on average NOK 0.61 in February of 2021 (USD $0.06), it had jumped to NOK 5.43 in August of 2022 (USD $0.55). That’s an almost tenfold increase.

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/why-is-ele ... right-now/

It's better today but still WAY up on a couple of years ago
https://www.statista.com/statistics/127 ... ity-price/

Sucked it, Sucked in :lol:
I said that twice for Adam's sake.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 20:44:55

theluckycountry wrote:Then there is the subsidies. In the US they haven't been scrapped but in every country they have been sales have fallen off a cliff. Norway is the classic example of this, it "was" the world leader in EV adoption, due to massive subsidies and cheap electricity.
EV sales in Norway collapsed in January
08 February 2023
The country has recorded the lowest number of cars registered since 1962 with only 1,860 new cars in January.

Do you hallucinate that thinking people haven't been paying attention to your discredited claims? Kubli already demonstrated that those sales bounced back immediately. Here was the graph provided. Have you been conditioned so well by the Chinese that you can't learn, or does it just come naturally?

theluckycountry wrote: If those EV buyers had been told before hand that all these perks would be removed I wonder what the sales figures would have been?

Turns out, one month does not a trend make. Would you like someone to explain the difference?
theluckycountry wrote:The fact that so many people have bought them to date just points to the gullibility of the average person when it comes to investment.

Well, while you have certainly ignorance about investments, cars aren't investments except to a very small class of rich folk. Cars are depreciating assets to most everyone else. Amazingly, my 2nd one hasn't depreciated in 2-1/2 years, but that is because of werid US market conditions for cars. And mine weren't about gullibility, they were about....sound out the words now so you'll remember...low....running....costs.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 20:47:15

theluckycountry wrote:It's better today but still WAY up on a couple of years ago
https://www.statista.com/statistics/127 ... ity-price/

Sucked it, Sucked in :lol:
I said that twice for Adam's sake.

Would you care to guess at what the cost of my electricity us coming from the solar panels on the garage roof? It is a trick question....I don't expect you to be smart enough to figure out the answer of course. :lol:

<hint hint....Sun comes up...beams down photons....photons converted by panels to electricity...mmmm.....mmmmm....mmmmmmm...cost of photons might be....mmm...mmm.....>

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 11 Jun 2023, 21:34:38

ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 12 Jun 2023, 01:20:52

All Jaguar I-PACE EVs have now been recalled due to multiple catastrophic battery fires

Total recall: Jaguar EVs burn buyers after every single one ever made gets recalled due to repeated battery fires

Jaguars were always such cool cars, too.

Jaguars used to be so beautiful that one of the ICE Jaguar XKEs is actually in the Museum of Modern Art in New York CIty, right next to the Van Gogh's and other paintings.

But then Jaguar switched to making EVs.

AND now they are too hot. Burning up hot.

They all had to be recalled, never to be seen again.

Now Jaguars are Unsafe.

They are Unsold.

They are Undead.

------------

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 12 Jun 2023, 02:32:29

ralfy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

The frequent design changes also made it necessary to use a body-on-frame structure rather than the lighter, but less easy to modify, unibody design used by most European automakers.

I remember when I bought my first 4x4, it was a Japanese unibody design and handled like a dream. All the other guys had the big lumbering body on frame ones that bounced around like crazy on the rough stuff. They claimed their design was better because it transferred less road shock to the cabin, even today reams are written about how the body on frame design is better offroad, a testimony on how a stupid idea can take over people's contagiousness and get served up decade after decade. For ever these 4x4 junkies believed manual transmissions were better too. It was only after they were totally outclassed in the field by people driving offroad with auto boxes that they changed their tune.

In 1978, Dr. Gabe Mirkin released “ Sportsmedicine Book” and coined the acronym “RICE” (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) Since then a whole industry has grown up providing ice packs and the procedure is a part of physio training. The problem is, it's been debunked! By who? Dr. Gabe Mirkin himself among others.

...Reinl cited numerous studies and anatomical resources in support of the notion that resting an injury, while wrapping it tightly (compression) with ice, is ineffective in accelerating the recovery process and could also result in further damage to the affected tissues.

Following the release of Reinl’s book, Mirkin publicly recanted his original position on the RICE protocol in a 2015 publication on his personal website

https://thesportjournal.org/article/the ... endations/

Funny thing is, the majority of people today still use ice packs on injuries, even when told it's erroneous. Why? Because they are stupid, they will believe a pharmaceutical selling the packs rather than their own brains, they have a sort of 'brand loyalty'. Its validity though was unequivocally compromised in 2015 when Dr. Mirkin publicly recanted his original position from 1978.

The exact same people are at work here promoting EVs, even in the face of the insurmountable evidence they are a stupid idea. Stupid people hanging onto stupid ideas because of brand loyalty. No wonder the world is in the state it is...
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 12 Jun 2023, 02:36:20

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 12 Jun 2023, 08:43:59

theluckycountry wrote:Funny thing is, the majority of people today still use ice packs on injuries, even when told it's erroneous. Why? Because they are stupid, they will believe a pharmaceutical selling the packs rather than their own brains, they have a sort of 'brand loyalty'.

So maybe this story, the psychology of it, also applies to people in other ways? Take a group of genetically ccompromised folks, and then they try and build something..like a ferris wheel? The project is so disasterous that they are then forever more confined to being menial tasks, while dreaming of the day when they will evolve enough to finally, maybe, be able to build something more important, like a car? "Brand loyalty" except applied to an entire country of down of their luck folks, hoping to one day evolve if they can just bring in enough outside genetic stock?
theluckycountry wrote:The exact same people are at work here promoting EVs, even in the face of the insurmountable evidence they are a stupid idea. Stupid people hanging onto stupid ideas because of brand loyalty. No wonder the world is in the state it is...

Your inability to confront a single point from an actual EV owner only demonstrates that you wouldn't know a stupid idea from a good one, as you have zero analytical ability to evaluate information. I don't promote EVs just because I own them, I do, like with peak oil, talk about the experience involved instead. With peak oil it is now almost into the decades of research, with EVs it is the purchasing them, owning them, driving them 100's of thousands of miles, the basic research that went into undersatanding them prior to purchase and direct hands on experience spanning 9 years now.

It isn't the fault of others that you are intellectually selective in your information, and even after having been informed of why your Norway example was wrong, keep using it.

Just as with peak oil, a little education goes a long way towards dispelling the kind of boogie man myths that humans lacking the ability to analyze anything suffer from. Not just analyze, in your case, but this:

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 13 Jun 2023, 00:02:18

"The Real Reason Why Toyota Shuns Electric Cars"

https://www.topspeed.com/why-toyota-shu ... tric-cars/

Toyota is concerned that switching to pure electric vehicles is not practical in the near future. Outgoing CEO Akio Toyoda held the opinion that EVs are simply “overhyped” and that having too many of them could potentially be problematic. In his view, the lack of supporting infrastructure coupled with the high cost of EVs makes their mass adoption infeasible. But all that is now concealed from the public eye since EVs currently make up only about one-percent of the world’s automotive fleet. If the number of electric cars surges, the reality will start to sink slowly. Electricity demand will top the list of problems to address when EVs flood the market. The U.S alone needs a 40-percent increase in power production to withstand the load demand that EVs will create by 2030. In other words, they need to pump in about $100 billion worth of investment on the current electricity supply chain. Although some parts of Europe and Asia already have advanced grids due to higher EV consumer demand, it’s still far from sufficient if every car owner decides to go electric.

Indeed, there’s so much sense in Toyota’s arguments. First, we do not have enough electricity for EVs. Second, the world’s primary source of electricity is fossil fuels. This means that having more EVs will not stop emissions but only change the source. Based on Akiyo Toyoda’s statement citing carbon as the enemy and not combustion engines, his critics could all be wrong. From general observations, the global adoption of EVs is not uniform. Some markets like Europe and China are moving faster while others like the U.S. are sluggish. And then, other markets like Africa are far behind with little to no EV infrastructure. This imbalance implies that the world is not ready to push the all-EV agenda as a block.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 13 Jun 2023, 01:36:10

1%. A drop in the bucket. We all remember the hype that accompanied the self-driving car, it was overwhelming, it eclipsed the EV hype for years and I think it left the impression with the general public that EV tech was mature, done and dusted. Well didn't driverless car stories disappear down the memory hole :roll: Nothing is heard now, it was just another BS marketing scam to attract people, and investment capital, toward certain brands. Now the dust of that has settled we can see the glaring problems with EVs, problems the early adopters dismiss to protect their egos but problems that are turning the public against the wonder toy of the new millennium.

I still remember Musk's big unloading of Tesla shares in 2022. If you look at his timing, the first sale $7 Bil in August and then $4 Bil in October, it coincided with the biggest plunge in the stock's price ever. It was all done under the guise of the Twitter deal but no one at his level can sell stock massively without a justification as it would spook the market, everyone would bail. It reminded me of when Buffett and Gates sold massive share holdings just before the GFC. Their cover story was the setting up of the charity fund, the Tax Free charity fund lol.

The writing is on the wall for Tesla, it's going out the backdoor and I doubt the japanese will step in and buy it like they did Harley Davidson back in the day.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 13 Jun 2023, 08:39:42

Adam wrote

Take a group of genetically compromised folks, and then they try and build something..like a ferris wheel?

This is an example of Adam trying to be clever and to embed his bigoted remarks within a larger response so as to avoid moderation.

a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.
"don't let a few small-minded bigots destroy the good image of the city"

Expressing bigoted views is frowned upon here at PeakOil because it attacks a person or (worse) a group of people rather than the ideas. Bigotry is worse than attacking a single person because it ignores the differences of individuals within the group.

This particular attack especially egregious because it is claiming the subject group is “genetically compromised.”

Frankly is is difficult to come up with adequate words to denounce these sentiments. Comparisons to Nazism and the KKK spring to mind. But those were movements where people got caught up in the flood of emotion. Those floods emanated from some spring head, someone who gave birth to and cultivated the lie so as to spread hatred for their own means. Here we have someone who seems be attempting the same tactic and that is a very disturbing development.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 13 Jun 2023, 09:09:14

Newfie wrote:Frankly is is difficult to come up with adequate words to denounce these sentiments. Comparisons to Nazism and the KKK spring to mind.

So the objection is primarily to genetics and how they flow down through offspring? Certainly I am neither a Nazi nor a KKK member, not even a pseudo KKK member in the form of a MAGA enthusiastist, but I grew up in rural Appalachia. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with what those circumstances look like from picture books? Hillbilly Elegy doesn't do it justice, as far as I'm concerned. By the time this johnny come lately author was born it had just devolved down into drugs and pervasive poverty, as opposed to just poverty. How many years of your childhood did you spend without running water? My family was lucky, we had water as long as it wasn't winter, in the winter we bucketed it in from the creek and filled the tub to flush the toilet.

The consequences of what some might consider the consistent intermingling of relatives (although usually within the law which says brothers and sisters might be bad, so please don't, but occasional cousins no one will mind) to genetic lines of laborers who among their family tree never demonstrated the ability to rub two thoughts together and come up with anything beyond an ability to drop out of school by the 10th grade and dig ditches for the rest of their lives, has everything to do with the consequences of genetics and socio-economic circumstances surrounding it and nothing about prior organizations that want to pretend that because they feel superior, they must be.

No need for hatred, just another branch of science that while I am not thoroughly versed in, have at least seen the consequences of play out in real life. And you might not be familiar with how Australia got it's start and what it was a dumping ground for, for nearly a century, and it didn't stop until after the American Civil War. No need for Nazi and KKK cards when we are talking about straight up historical fact.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 13 Jun 2023, 17:56:31

He's just a troll, a sad old boomer watching his nation collapse around him and wanting to lash out (from behind a keyboard) at anyone having a better lifestyle. Lifestyle isn't about how many toys you have in the garage, it's about clean air and a peaceful community.

I can ride my pushbikes anywhere across town at 4am and never have to worry about being mugged or run off the road by a psycho. The kids here don't have to worry about being shot in the head when they go to school, or concert goers killed enmass by a deranged nutcase. If I lived where Adam does I'd probably be lashing out too, thank God I don't, thank God I was born in the Lucky country.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 13 Jun 2023, 19:00:58

theluckycountry wrote:I can ride my pushbikes anywhere across town at 4am and never have to worry about being mugged or run off the road by a psycho. The kids here don't have to worry about being shot in the head when they go to school, or concert goers killed enmass by a deranged nutcase.

And you don't even stop to wonder why your country can't build cars, launch satellites into space, build your own military hardware, or do those things that free countries can....possible societal consequences that come with being truly free be damned.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 14 Jun 2023, 07:15:31

Well let's get back on topic shall we.

Why Britain's electric dream is driving so many of us to distraction: As Tesla owners are forced to queue for hours to charge their cars, one disillusioned motorist who's just faced a nightmare Christmas journey reveals how
30-dec-2022
...It’s about 120 miles from our bit of North London up to Bromsgrove, but it’s mostly motorway and, before we bought our electric Nissan Leaf, the journey took a couple of hours.

The Nissan has a supposed range of 160 miles but, at 70 mph, it’s more like 100 miles, and in cold weather, when you have the electricity-sapping heater on, even less than that. Which meant the spectre that haunts every electric car driver — range anxiety — was at the front of our minds before we set off.

Embedded video shows huge queues of Tesla owners trying to charge vehicles
https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/ ... 605032.mp4
We planned to charge at Oxford services, about 50 miles away. But when we arrived, one of the two electric chargers was broken and three cars were queuing for the one that was still working. Fortunately for us, the three cars waiting needed to use a different type of socket to the Nissan, but though the Chademo plug we needed was free, two of the other cars were blocking access to it.

This kind of situation will sound horribly familiar to the dozens of Tesla drivers photographed this week waiting for up to three hours in Hertfordshire, Cumbria and Westmorland because of the sheer number of cars on the roads due to hopeless trains.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-how.html

It's the same old story isn't it, the owners waiting and waiting and saying to themselves "Well in a couple of years when the government rolls out the supercharge network..."
They might as well be hoping for a new freeway to be built to relieve congestion, they are, but always 10 years too late.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology