Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 14 Jun 2023, 08:45:52

theluckycountry wrote:It's the same old story isn't it, the owners waiting and waiting and saying to themselves "Well in a couple of years when the government rolls out the supercharge network..."
They might as well be hoping for a new freeway to be built to relieve congestion, they are, but always 10 years too late.

Just because your idiot King can't get the job done, doesn't mean that individuals who understand EVs can't.

I have never used a supercharging network in the 9 years I've owned EVs, and because I understand their performance envelope never expect to. It is called a "brain", folks should try using it, and while the King and his suck up subjects might not have them, at least some Americans do.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 14 Jun 2023, 17:13:27

the post whore strikes again :roll:
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 16 Jun 2023, 19:24:42

theluckycountry wrote:the post whore strikes again :roll:

Look who's talking. At least he doesn't spew lots of nonsense.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 17 Jun 2023, 03:50:11

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:the post whore strikes again :roll:

Look who's talking. At least he doesn't spew lots of nonsense.

Go back to your TV. Biden has an update for you and Elon Musk has a new car to sell you.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 17 Jun 2023, 10:42:48

theluckycountry wrote:Go back to your TV. Biden has an update for you and Elon Musk has a new car to sell you.

And the same to you good Sir. Outcast has always seemed to lean towards frugal and respectable, how about you stick to what your part of the Chinese mining colony is known for?

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jato0072 » Sat 17 Jun 2023, 11:28:51

What do you make of this:

Youtube - China is Throwing Away Fields of Electric Cars - Letting them Rot!

Hundreds of Thousands of EVs just being left to rot in fields... and bicycles too!
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 17 Jun 2023, 12:10:27

jato0072 wrote:What do you make of this:

Hundreds of Thousands of EVs just being left to rot in fields... and bicycles too!

Good news then that The US is now the second-largest EV market behind China.

If China could build cars to the quality required by US regulators, we'd take them and hand them out at a discount to folks who don't like the $10-$20G used non-Tesla buy in EV costs here in the States. But without the required safety and US compatibility and bumpers and whatever, maybe they can sell them to backwater counties that can't even build cars, let alone EVs, like say Australia?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 17 Jun 2023, 13:26:32

Peak EV demand.

Famous quote:
It is always an impressive thing to observe when reality shifts. One moment, a certain idea is seen as preposterous, and the next moment it’s being treated as conventional wisdom. There seems to be a psychological mechanism involved, where nobody wants to be seen as the last fool to finally get the picture. Everybody starts pretending that they’ve thought that way all along, or at least for a little while, for fear of appearing foolish. It is always awkward to ask people what caused them to suddenly change their minds, because with the fear of looking foolish comes a certain loss of dignity.

The EV fanboys will reach this point eventually, and like all those before them they will pretend that they saw it all along.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 17 Jun 2023, 21:00:49

theluckycountry wrote:

Peak EV demand.

Fools say stuff. People from exceptional countries know stuff.... [smilie=headbang.gif] if they don't know stuff, they look it up, in order to not look like those from...other places.

Global Plug-In Electric Car Sales Exceeded 1 Million In March 2023

theluckycountry wrote:Famous quote:
It is always an impressive thing to observe when reality shifts. One moment, a certain idea is seen as preposterous, and the next moment it’s being treated as conventional wisdom. There seems to be a psychological mechanism involved, where nobody wants to be seen as the last fool to finally get the picture. Everybody starts pretending that they’ve thought that way all along, or at least for a little while, for fear of appearing foolish. It is always awkward to ask people what caused them to suddenly change their minds, because with the fear of looking foolish comes a certain loss of dignity.

The EV fanboys will reach this point eventually, and like all those before them they will pretend that they saw it all along.

Outstanding quote. And applies to those who knew peak oil fantasy doom was a crock shortly after this website was born, and some still haven't figured out how we got 6 behind us without their Rapture scenario playing out, 5 years now into the 6th one of the century.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 18 Jun 2023, 19:47:01

I wish these EV disciples would post up some positive articles to promote their religion, it might give their case more credence.

Here's a story about the tesla truck, which like most things elon does was simply a promotional stunt to attract attention and boost the share price. I believe most legacy carmakers do this as well. Sure they make an EV or two but the scale is small compared to their conventional vehicles. But if they didn't, people would not be as attracted to the brand. It's all about appearing to be "Green" now, people want/expect/demand the virtue signal, then they can feel good inside about supporting something and go about their lives freely burning fossil fuels.

What the Truck, Elon?

Hey, remember the Cybertruck? Tesla CEO Elon Musk unveiled the company’s futuristic electric vehicle way back in 2019. At the launch event, Tesla tried to show off the Cybertruck's "unbreakable windows" by hurling a metal ball at them. It promptly shattered the glass. Twice. It was an inelegant debut, but Tesla eagerly started developing the EV anyway.

Turns out, the Cybertruck had a few other design flaws. Leaked Tesla documents from January 2022 have revealed an array of problems with the handling, braking, suspension, and chassis of the Cybertruck’s prototype. Most of the Cybertruck’s physical problems appear fixable, but auto industry experts are shocked that Tesla was still encountering so many issues so late in the vehicle’s development.

https://www.wired.com/story/gadget-lab- ... ed-by-vidi
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 18 Jun 2023, 20:10:54

theluckycountry wrote:I wish these EV disciples would post up some positive articles to promote their religion, it might give their case more credence.

Already did about sales a couplem posts ago. Give that "reading" thing a try, you won't look like you are..you know...from where you are. And I include all kinds of personal experience as well. Sort of like you could about...you know...bending fruit.

On a related note, I was on walk-about (is it a faux-pas to use terms from islands owned by a King but owned by the Chinese?) and as it turns out, even I can be surprised by EVs!

There I was, wandering the Rocky Mountain west, and out in the middle of nowhere, a bunch of nonwheres and I'll be darned if I will now modify my opinion on not seeing many Tesla's when out and about in the American hinterlands. Moab down to Monument Valley, Tesla's. Folks at hotels in the Navajo Nation....Tesla's. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon? Teslas. Out in the middle of places where there weren't towns, let alone charging stations for 50 or 75 miles in either direction, and I'd pull into a gas station and park beside...a Tesla. Nice couple, California plates...what?

So until I can test this hypothesis in just as remote areas of say, North Dakota, northern Minnesota, northern Wiscosin, and the UP of Michigan (stay tuned, trip inbound in weeks!), I am currently having to lean towards the proliferation for these pricey long range EVs as rapidy expanding beyond just tooling around suburbia or between large cities with known charging capability.

theluckycountry wrote:Here's a story about the tesla truck, which like most things elon does was simply a promotional stunt to attract attention and boost the share price.

What the Truck, Elon?

Turns out, the Cybertruck had a few other design flaws. Leaked Tesla documents from January 2022 have revealed an array of problems with the handling, braking, suspension, and chassis of the Cybertruck’s prototype. Most of the Cybertruck’s physical problems appear fixable, but auto industry experts are shocked that Tesla was still encountering so many issues so late in the vehicle’s development.

https://www.wired.com/story/gadget-lab- ... ed-by-vidi

Again, cherry picking old issues and pretending they are current? What, you figure normal folks can't read when the article was published?
Well lookee here...couple months ago...turns out they are happily delivering chips and soda across Northern California. And now Tesla is delivering more!The Semis Keep Rolling In For Tesla: PepsiCo Takes 18 More Semis For Delivery

So back in April, PepsiCo was saying....
Does anyone know at what point does mindless blubbering become obvious buffoonery?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Jun 2023, 14:36:06

There just was a lithium battery explosion and fire at an e-bike store in New York City. There are four dead so far, with other people injured on floors of the building above the e-bike store

What a tragedy.

And now I await the inevitable reply from an EV fanboi claiming E-bike fires are nothing to worry about because regular bikes catch on fire much more often….
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 20 Jun 2023, 17:36:20

Plantagenet wrote:There just was a lithium battery explosion and fire at an e-bike store in New York City. There are four dead so far, with other people injured on floors of the building above the e-bike store.What a tragedy.

Indeed. Good thing you don't own a real EV and need to worry about it. Well, other than the faux concern for others of course.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 20 Jun 2023, 18:25:03

Plantagenet wrote:There just was a lithium battery explosion and fire at an e-bike store in New York City. There are four dead so far...

And now I await the inevitable reply from an EV fanboi claiming E-bike fires are nothing to worry about because regular bikes catch on fire much more often….

So far this year, there have been more than 100 fires and 13 deaths linked to battery explosions in the city, said Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh.

People, human lives, are never a consideration when it comes to the rollout of new technology. It takes many many deaths before the political class take action, usually pushed into it by the pressure of grieving families.

Do as I say, don't do as I do.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 20 Jun 2023, 21:14:08

theluckycountry wrote:People, human lives, are never a consideration when it comes to the rollout of new technology.

Might be the first accurate thing you've stated in hundreds of posts. However, as usual you come from a place where folks can't rollout OLD technology....like cars, rockets and..oh yeah...Ferris wheels...so what would you know about it? Just wait patiently, all back-o-da-bus where you belong and don't worry, the real countries will figure it out and sell all the perfectly safe versions to the rubes of the world.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 22 Jun 2023, 17:55:15

Saving the Planet? New Data Shows That Affordable EV Owners Barely Drive Them
A study looking at average annual miles driven by owners of three-year-old battery electric vehicles reveals that owners drive them dramatically fewer annual miles than owners of most conventionally-powered cars drive.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/saving- ... drive-them

It makes sense from my perspective. These EV's are a niche thing, a toy, like my BMW sports bike. I wouldn't ride it every day, one or twice a week generally, and that just on small trips for the pleasure of experiencing the power and handling it inherently has. For the day to day driving I use a car, an ICE car naturally. EV owners obviously have the same thoughts about their overpriced four wheelers. They'll take them out to visit a friend or do a bit of virtue signalling around town but don't want to wear them out on day to day commutes. An exception to that would be the hipsters, the suburban drivers that don't need to travel far and can get them safely back home and on charge for the night before the batteries flattens.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 22 Jun 2023, 18:29:23

theluckycountry wrote:Saving the Planet? New Data Shows That Affordable EV Owners Barely Drive Them
A study looking at average annual miles driven by owners of three-year-old battery electric vehicles reveals that owners drive them dramatically fewer annual miles than owners of most conventionally-powered cars drive.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/saving- ... drive-them

It makes sense from my perspective.

Really? How many miles a year do you drive your EV? Or, does "your perspective" mean "never owned one, don't drive one, don't know what I'm talking about when discussing them which is why I need to cherry pick quotes that back up what I want to believe" instead?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 22 Jun 2023, 18:43:54

Hundreds of Thousands of EVs just being left to rot in fields...

It’s just more evidence that the claim that EVs are “sustainable” is a big lie.

Numerous studies show that EVs have a much greater carbon footprint then ICE cars when they roll off the manufacturing line, and now Insurance data prove that once they hit the roads EVs are being taken off the roads at a much higher rate than ICE vehicles in the US, and the video of trashed EVs in CHina suggests the same thing is happening there.

If the goal is to reduce carbon emissions, then EVs clearly aren’t helping much, in spite of trillions in dollars in government subsides.

It’s too bad, really. The world really needs to lower carbon emissions.

OH well.

THis is pretty much the kind of screw up I predicted.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 22 Jun 2023, 21:54:53

Plantagenet wrote:
Hundreds of Thousands of EVs just being left to rot in fields...

It’s just more evidence that the claim that EVs are “sustainable” is a big lie.

Would you care to name who told you that EVs are sustainable? You don't own one of course, but I own 2, and no one ever told me I should do so because they are sustainable.
Plantagenet wrote:Numerous studies show that EVs have a much greater carbon footprint then ICE cars when they roll off the manufacturing line....

HOLY CRAP!!! PLANT LEARNS!!!! You didn't trip over how much better they are lifecycle emissions because of generally cleaner electricity rather than burning liquid fuels the rest of their operational lives! Wow..and here I thought that "scientifically accurate" meant "refuses to learn better like Lucky" but there you go, proving me wrong!

Now, about that Late Quaternary gibberish.....

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 23 Jun 2023, 04:46:15

Plantagenet wrote:If the goal is to reduce carbon emissions, then EVs clearly aren’t helping much, in spite of trillions in dollars in government subsides... THis is pretty much the kind of screw up I predicted.

Anytime government gets involved in anything it's a screwup, and never in the benefit of the people long term. What's it really all about? Probably a plan to bailout the automakers, as well as increasing profits to the oil giants that are selling twice as much product to those building these dangerous EV's. And then there are the profits to the electric companies who sell more and have to expand. EV's, a lose lose for the people of Earth.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology