Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 14:04:12

mousepad wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:It does seem odd, but the logical reason, to me at least, is that the basic design of these vehicles is flawed.

yes, some lessons need to be learned the hard way. Let's see if EV engineers can get it right eventually.
Who knows? Maybe some guy somewhere finally understands that lugging around a 1 ton battery to get groceries ain't the best idea.

Define "best". It strikes me that EVs started off as a fashion accessory or virtue signaling for rich folks, much like Hardley Ablesons and their purchase by dentists for weekend parades in the canyons. And EVs stayed that way in the States for awhile, and then some cage companies began dabbling, and turned out...utilitarian...versions. Only affordable to regular folks with a government subsidy of course. Before that were the Gen I hybrids, I found them interesting experiments, should have kept 1 or 2, but they just didn't work out ultimately. So I waited out the fad phase, and better choices, and cheaper, and used, became available. The last 2 I purchased are keepers, work exactly as advertised, no design flaws that nearly 1/4 of a million miles have revealed.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 14:30:32

AdamB wrote:Define "best".

No, I'm not going to define best. I'm sure you understand through context.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 14:52:49

mousepad wrote:
AdamB wrote:Define "best".

No, I'm not going to define best. I'm sure you understand through context.

Well, what maybe I think you mean, but definitions matter and one person's "best" is another persons "adequate". One persons "scientific accurate" is a make believe claim contradicted by the very references they provide in support of such accuracy. It is the internet after all, and some folks are still defending the Mayan Calendar conspiracy/historical fact.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 15:35:40

mousepad wrote:yes, some lessons need to be learned the hard way. Let's see if EV engineers can get it right eventually.
Who knows?
https://fortune.com/2020/01/10/designed ... m-737-max/
Designed by clowns…supervised by monkeys:’ Internal Boeing messages slam 737 Max

This quote from your link reveals the whole corporate ethos, tell lies ad-nauseam until you are legally forced to reveal the truth, and then 'claim' you were going to do the right thing all along.
Boeing, which provided the documents under pressure from U.S. lawmakers, apologized and said it was committed to “full transparency” with the FAA.

There is a reason Elon divested himself of billions worth of Tesla shares, he knew the writing was on the wall, that the "Big Grift" was showing cracks. By the time it's all over he'll be claiming he was lied to by Tesla engineers and the new management.

I get a little tired of pointing out the obvious lies surrounding the whole EV-transition as it's sold to the public but it needs to be stated. Anyone who bought one is a sucker, anyone who bought TWO is a complete idiot. I believe Adam bought two :roll:

The EV uptake in Australia is minimal because we were not sucked in by the propaganda. Here is the reason the Americans fell hook line and sinker, it's the old tried and true patriotic propaganda model, Buy American.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsPvbSpB2Y&t=23s
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 15:46:16

Everyone needs to do their own research in this world unless they want to be scammed over and over.

I was considering rooftop solar water heating some years back, a $10,000 system of pipes and heat exchangers that has a design life of about 10 years. It turns out for half that price, $5000, I could install 5000W of solar complete with inverter to run the whole house, and for an extra $100 have a timer installed in my meter box that turns on my HW system only between 10am and 3pm.

It was a no-brainer but I had to do the research to discover the fact. The same applies to EV's, they are overpriced, problematic, unreliable, and cause the owners anxiety. They also have a crap design life. A hybrid though has the best of both worlds, Electric power on demand for added acceleration and for short commutes (up to 50 miles) combined with a gasoline engine to do the long hard hauls. That's peace of mind.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 17:05:44

theluckycountry wrote:I get a little tired of pointing out the obvious lies surrounding the whole EV-transition as it's sold to the public but it needs to be stated. Anyone who bought one is a sucker, anyone who bought TWO is a complete idiot. I believe Adam bought two :roll:

Indeed. But I bought them because it turns out the twaddle you "point out" are nothing more than someone with zero experience pontificating on something you know nothing about, other than what you like to cherry pick from the MSM of course.
theluckycountry wrote:The EV uptake in Australia is minimal because we were not sucked in by the propaganda.

More accurately, those who wanted to move to get away from the dregs moved to New Zealand and left them behind. They went to a real country, where this happened...Electric Vehicles Proliferate In New Zealand Market

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 17:13:42

theluckycountry wrote:Everyone needs to do their own research in this world unless they want to be scammed over and over.

You should begin immediately. Maybe you'll stop making statements so easy to refute with facts and whatnot. You do understand that those idiot ads on webpages are designed for suckers like you, and then you propagate them here and it makes you look....like an Aussie.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 21:10:10

Auto execs still aren't convinced about electric cars

Jun 14, 2023
Auto execs are nervous about transitioning to EVs, consulting firm KPMG found in a new survey.
Auto executives aren't as confident in electric car adoption as they once were — but they're largely blaming their concerns on all sorts of market dynamics and supply chain snafus, rather than consumers...
In a survey of more than 900 auto industry execs published in December, KPMG found that respondents think only 37% of new vehicle sales in the US will be electric by 2030.

That's a dramatic drop from this same time in 2021, when surveyed executives expected 62% of car sales in the US would be EVs by 2030.

The survey results come two days after Toyota's CEO came under fire for comments that indicate he's not all that sold on EVs just yet. "That silent majority is wondering whether EVs are really OK to have as a single option," Akia Toyoda said according to The Wall Street Journal. "But they think it's the trend so they can't speak out loudly."

https://www.businessinsider.com/auto-ex ... on-2022-12

Toyota is Japanese and the Japanese speak their mind, they don't slavishly follow Western politically correct mantras, Western virtue signalling and the disgusting Woke cultural memes rife in the West. In Japan a Man is a Man, a Woman is a Woman and a losing bet is a losing bet, they tell it how it is. For these Western auto makers to come out with such gloomy predictions on the future of the EV it says a lot. Imagine what they would have to say if they weren't politically hamstrung?

I don't believe the EV Dream will quietly die beyond the eyes of the media as the self-driving car industry did. No this one will have to be reported, too many people will have lost too much money to hush it up.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 25 Jun 2023, 21:42:04

I saw a Rivian on the road today. Had to look it up. Basically a EV Ford Bronco for a cool $75 grand.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 26 Jun 2023, 18:40:01

On a more positive note, one electric vehicle that really makes sense going forward into an energy constrained future is the humble bicycle. In those 1970's utopian visions of the future we saw bicycles depicted as the common mode of transport, people bringing vegetables in on bicycle power for sale at the local market. Well that never took off, obviously, but today sales of E-bikes are eclipsing those of E-cars and as time passes, and people get poorer, I imagine they will naturally transition to using them for day to day activities like shopping and going to work.

Of course it all boils down to the distances involved but the power to weight relationship is quite good and it's normal to get 100km out of a battery now. Sales of e-bikes are still quite robust and many cities are expanding bikeways, but for a true transition they need to prioritize bicycle transport over car transport. Perhaps one day... If there is any oil left? But roads and bridges designed for bicycles last a hell of a lot longer and cost a lot less up front. I would love to see such a thing, a city linked to it's outer suburbs by extensive bikeways, not a car in sight.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 12:17:26

theluckycountry wrote:On a more positive note, one electric vehicle that really makes sense going forward into an energy constrained future is the humble bicycle.

Well, that makes perfect sense. I completely agree that you should do as you are told, including pimping this idea to the citizens of the free world as you have been ordered. Just imagine what your streets would look like after your benign overlords stamp out all that unexceptional aussieness.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 15:38:14

theluckycountry wrote:On a more positive note, one electric vehicle that really makes sense going forward into an energy constrained future is the humble bicycle. In those 1970's utopian visions of the future we saw bicycles depicted as the common mode of transport, people bringing vegetables in on bicycle power for sale at the local market. Well that never took off, obviously, but today sales of E-bikes are eclipsing those of E-cars and as time passes, and people get poorer, I imagine they will naturally transition to using them for day to day activities like shopping and going to work.

Of course it all boils down to the distances involved but the power to weight relationship is quite good and it's normal to get 100km out of a battery now. Sales of e-bikes are still quite robust and many cities are expanding bikeways, but for a true transition they need to prioritize bicycle transport over car transport. Perhaps one day... If there is any oil left? But roads and bridges designed for bicycles last a hell of a lot longer and cost a lot less up front. I would love to see such a thing, a city linked to it's outer suburbs by extensive bikeways, not a car in sight.

My Wife's hometown into Bavaria, and perhaps elsewhere, is v ery bike friendly, The stoplights have a cyce for bikers, there are well designed and well used bike lanes. There are bike trails all over connecting small towns. And they have underground parking so the bikes, and cars, are out of the weather.

But this has been a long development. The town folk have always used bikes heavily, my FIL, the senior chemist at the plant ride a bike to work.

Philadelphia is trying to make bike lanes but it is a near disaster. Traffic was already bad enough, but they took parking for bike lakes, are allowing more residential development without expanding parking, and stealing lanes since Covid for outside eating. The result is a mad melange of street use between cars, busses, bikes, parking, and restaurants. By trying to please everyone they have made a mess that 2orks for no one.

Not all areas are equally bad. But it is a wild mix.

Back in the t0's Philly had a strong central planner who had a vision for the city. He was developing a suburban communal space with open air green spaces and a skating rink with shops and dining where people could socialize. Buildings were required to have street level retail so that there would be a vibrant after hours street life. Yeah, they dumped that plan and ruined the downtown.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 16:11:49

Newfie wrote:Back in the t0's Philly had a strong central planner who had a vision for the city. He was developing a suburban communal space with open air green spaces and a skating rink with shops and dining where people could socialize. Buildings were required to have street level retail so that there would be a vibrant after hours street life. Yeah, they dumped that plan and ruined the downtown.

Yeah..but..it was still a downtown. Is there any ever hope for a downtown? At least an American style one. American style meaning like most people have fled the area and live in the burbs rather than some 600 sf apartment costing more per month than a mortgage in the burbs. My daugther ran into exactly this issue...took her newly minted college degree and ran off to live downtown just like she had always imagined. It lasted a year. She moved back in with mom and dad, 10 months of saving money and she bought her own townhouse...in the burbs. It must be an attraction for some folks, but she certainly was rudely awakened by the reality of a downtown lifestyle.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 16:34:03

Newfie wrote:
My Wife's hometown into Bavaria, and perhaps elsewhere, is very bike friendly, The stoplights have a cycle for bikers, there are well designed and well used bike lanes...

Philadelphia is trying to make bike lanes but it is a near disaster...
Not all areas are equally bad. But it is a wild mix...

Unfortunately the US has this total love affair going with the car, even as we here do. The city north of me has extensive bike lanes through the outer suburbs but it's an adhok thing and the CBD lanes are a disaster. This sort of stuff needs to designed from the ground up but too often they just close off one lane and make it bikeway exacerbating traffic snarls.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 16:50:53

This story is telling

Ford Lays Off Hundreds Of Engineers

Ford is now the latest U.S. company to announce sweeping layoffs, with Bloomberg reporting this week that the auto manufacturer plans to lay off "hundreds of salaried workers" that are primarily engineers.
The cuts will be to engineers in EVs, traditional combustion engine models and commercial vehicles, the company said. The layoffs will number in the hundreds, despite CEO Jim Farley claiming earlier this year the company would need 25% more engineers than rivals to produce its EVs.

The company expects to lose $3 billion in 2023 on its EV business but hopes for 8% returns on battery powered models by the end of 2026. Ford plans on building 2 million EVs per year by that point.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ford- ... -engineers

Now why would they be laying off the EV engineers if we're on the cusp of the big revolution? There is a bit of double-talk coming out of Ford but the layoffs are real and the expected losses too no doubt. The logic behind this move is all too obvious. If you don't plan on building new EVs, you don't need engineers. Another sign of "PeakEV"
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 16:59:34

A LUCID AIR EV just caught fire while turned off and parked at a car show

Lucid-air-fire-stationary

The fact that EVs can spontaneously burst into flames, even when the car is turned off, is one of the things that make EV fires so dangerous. ICE vehicles catch fire far more often but the fires usually happen while the car is being driven. Typically the driver steers the car over to the side of the road and exits the car.

EV fires, in contrast, mostly happen when the car is parked and charging, or sometimes just when in it's parked and not charging. This means the fire can start while the car is parked overnight in a home garage, so the car fire damages and/or destroys the entire home. Or say the fire happens on a car freighter or car ferry...the EV fire can set all the other around it on fire, and even cause the ship to sink. Or say the EV fire happens while the car is parked in a parking garage....Again it can catch other cars on fire and even cause the parking garage to collapse.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 18:05:32

theluckycountry wrote:Now why would they be laying off the EV engineers if we're on the cusp of the big revolution? There is a bit of double-talk coming out of Ford but the layoffs are real and the expected losses too no doubt. The logic behind this move is all too obvious. If you don't plan on building new EVs, you don't need engineers. Another sign of "PeakEV"
Ford said they are making layoffs in their gas-engine and commercial division because they are investing billions in their EV division. That is not a sign of 'PeakEV'. That is a sign of more money being invested in EVs, less in gas engines.

Ford Motor Co. reportedly has plans to fire at least 1,000 salaried and contract workers as the auto giant looks to offset the cost of investing in the electric vehicle market. A spokesman for the Detroit-based automaker confirmed the news to the outlet on Tuesday, adding that firings will be focused in the engineering, gas-engine and commercial-vehicle divisions.

Ford Motor has plans to fire at least 1,000 salaried and contract workers as the automaker looks to offset the cost of investing in the EV market with the introduction of its electric truck, F-150 Lightning, and other EV-related investments. The move comes after Ford touted its “ambitious, comprehensive plan to make the transition to an electric lifestyle” on its website, noting that it has plans to invest “more than $50 billion in electric vehicles globally through 2026.” In April, Ford announced a $1.3 billion venture to transition its Oakville Assembly Plant in Ontario, Canada, into the Oakville Electric Vehicle Complex. Once complete, the facility will produce next-gen EVs that will hit the market in 2025. Most recently, Ford announced that it reached a deal with its EV rival Tesla where Ford EV drivers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers throughout the US and Canada, effective sometime in 2024. With lots of costly EV efforts underway, Ford has made several rounds of global layoffs in a bid defray the massive cost of shifting from internal combustion to EVs.
Ford to ax at least 1,000 contract, salaried workers to offset billion-dollar EV investments
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 18:39:16

theluckycountry wrote:Now why would they be laying off the EV engineers if we're on the cusp of the big revolution?

Because it isn't a revolution anymore, and R&D expenditures to get a viable product out the door have become a race to cut costs in manufacturing to drop per unit costs.
This is what the growth phase of a market saturation curve looks like. They teach these basic economic ideas in American high schools nowadays, both my kids sat through them because Econ was considered an easy course. Probably not available until you are a PhD candidate in some countries.
Last edited by AdamB on Tue 27 Jun 2023, 20:02:43, edited 1 time in total.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 19:48:57

kublikhan wrote:Ford said they are making layoffs in their gas-engine and commercial division because they are investing billions in their EV division. That is not a sign of 'PeakEV'. That is a sign of more money being invested in EVs, less in gas engines.

Ford Motor Co. reportedly has plans to fire at least 1,000 salaried and contract workers as the auto giant looks to offset the cost of investing in the electric vehicle market. A spokesman for the Detroit-based automaker confirmed the news to the outlet on Tuesday, adding that firings will be focused in the engineering, gas-engine and commercial-vehicle divisions.

Ford Motor has plans to fire at least 1,000 salaried and contract workers as the automaker looks to offset the cost of investing in the EV market with the introduction of its electric truck, F-150 Lightning, and other EV-related investments. The move comes after Ford touted its “ambitious, comprehensive plan to make the transition to an electric lifestyle” on its website, noting that it has plans to invest “more than $50 billion in electric vehicles globally through 2026.” In April, Ford announced a $1.3 billion venture to transition its Oakville Assembly Plant in Ontario, Canada, into the Oakville Electric Vehicle Complex. Once complete, the facility will produce next-gen EVs that will hit the market in 2025. Most recently, Ford announced that it reached a deal with its EV rival Tesla where Ford EV drivers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers throughout the US and Canada, effective sometime in 2024. With lots of costly EV efforts underway, Ford has made several rounds of global layoffs in a bid defray the massive cost of shifting from internal combustion to EVs.
Ford to ax at least 1,000 contract, salaried workers to offset billion-dollar EV investments[/quote]

Exactly right.

Ford and other automakers are responding to the huge government subsidies intended to encourage automakers and consumers alike to shift from ICE vehicles to EV vehicles. I think Ford got a direct grant of something like 9 billion dollars from the Federal Government just a few weeks ago to build a giant EV battery factory here in the US. If they want to stay on the Federal gravy train then they've got to build EVs.

Personally, I think there is no doubt that the giant government subsidies will succeed in boosting the EV market tremendously.

In the past the US and other western countries have operated as "market economies" where different auto manufacturers would offer different kinds of autos and the market would decide what works and what doesn't. Now we are effectively changing auto markets to "command economies" where what gets produced is effectively controlled by a top-down government decree, and right now the top down government decree is saying building many many EVs in order to reduce future carbon emissions and mitigate future climate change.

My only concern is whether or not this will turn out to have been a good idea or a bad idea when we look back at this 20 years from now.

As we roll out more and more EVs we can already see that things aren't quite working as promised. We already knew that EVs cost much more then comparable ICE vehicles and have much higher initial carbon footprints, but now comes a new revelation that EVs in their current form are essentially unrepairable, resulting in EVs costing much more to insure and EVs getting scraped at a much higher rate then ICE vehicles once they actually get on the road. This is all rather worrying, because it's the exact opposite of what EV boosters have been promising. Every time an almost new EV gets scrapped, all the carbon released during its manufacture can never be offset by that EV having lower tailpipe emissions. Imagine some poor guy whose almost new EV was just scrapped goes out and immediately buys another one, but now he's personally responsible for generating an initial carbon footprint equivalent to that of ca. 3.4 new ICE cars......Whoa....he thought he was a virtuous EV owner and now after a minor crash and a forced second EV purchase he is almost some kind of climate criminal!!!!!!!

Personally, I think the climate problem can be solved, but not with EVs. I'd much rather just see a carbon tax implemented that would slowly and inexorably bring down all carbon emissions all through our economic system.....A carbon tax will bring CO2 emissions in cars, farms, factories, stores......everywhere.......but a carbon tax is very unlikely to happen as long as politicians are pushing EVs, because you'd have to put a hefty carbon tax on each EV as it came out the factory door. So instead of a simple effective carbon tax we're going to get a Rube Goldberg system of subsidies and tax breaks and bells and whistles to try to corral people into doing what the politicians want then to do, even if its not the best thing to do.

Oh well......I never expected any different. Climate change is essentially unstoppable, IMHO, without implementing a universal carbon tax to force the world to actually reduce carbon emissions.

True enough if you assume that both cars start out the same and then stay on the road for the same number of years. But thats a cloud cuckoo land fantasy---it's just not true. Now we know the real world, EVs start out with a ca. 70% BIGGER carbon footprint coming out of the factory, and more EVs then ICE cars get taken off the road when they're almost new due to being almost unrepairable after minor accidents due to fears the EV battery may have been damaged and so is more likely to spontaneously combust...

Yo Kublai....I haven't seen an analysis that takes into account this new issue with EVs being taken off the road faster than ICE vehicles due to the fact EVs aren't being repaired after minor accidents. It's clear that this would increase the carbon footprint of the EV auto fleet....but by how much? You are a very good researcher...have you seen any attempts to calculate the magnitude of this problem for EVs?

CHEERS!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 27 Jun 2023, 21:13:09

Plantagenet wrote:Yo Kublai....I haven't seen an analysis that takes into account this new issue with EVs being taken off the road faster than ICE vehicles due to the fact EVs aren't being repaired after minor accidents. It's clear that this would increase the carbon footprint of the EV auto fleet....but by how much? You are a very good researcher...have you seen any attempts to calculate the magnitude of this problem for EVs?
I haven't read any about carbon foot prints specifically, but insurance companies have looked at total losses of EVs vs ICE. EVs do have higher accident costs(including totaled vehicles), however they also have lower accident rates. The net result is EVs have lower total losses compared to ICE vehicles:

“EVs show significantly lower frequencies of collision and property damage liability insurance claims, indicating that they crash less frequently than their conventional counterparts.” The study also shows that the cost to repair is now approaching parity with conventional vehicles.
HDLI Study Finds that EVs Crash Less Often Than Conventional Cars

But if you wanted to do the math yourself, there was only a 1.4% difference between the scrappage rate of EVs(6.6%) vs ICE(5.2%). So just grab a carbon footprint study and increase the EV's carbon footprint by 1.4%. A 1.4% change is not going to make a big difference in the numbers. You will see bigger differences looking at how clean the grid is from state to state or other variables in your study.
According to S&P Global Mobility analysis, of the nearly 2.3 million BEVs registered in the US from 2013 to 2022, about 2.12 million are still on the road today—about 6.6% have left the fleet. When it comes to other fuel types excluding BEVs, of the roughly 158 million sold in the same timeframe, are around 149.8 million vehicles on the road today—reflecting that 5.2% have left the fleet over the time frame.
S&P Global Mobility: average age of light vehicles in US hits record high 12.5 years
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology