Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 03 Jul 2023, 19:15:36

Australia Lithium production

Lucky us.
Lithium is one of the key resources of the future. It's just a stupidity to be wasting it in vehicles
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 03 Jul 2023, 20:04:54

Plantagenet wrote:China just said they are cutting exports of rare earth metals to the USA in response to moves against China by the boobs in the Biden administration
Cheers!

Otherwise known as continuing the wise precautions started by the Trumpster Administration as ordered by the oligarches because even they are waking up to the idea that selling Americans down the river for globalization is what empowered China in the first place?

Yes, thank God for the boobs in the Biden administration that A) aren't spending all their time enriching themselves and B) are doing the right thing in the process.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 03 Jul 2023, 20:17:30

theluckycountry wrote:Australia Lithium production

Lucky us.
Lithium is one of the key resources of the future. It's just a stupidity to be wasting it in vehicles

Now we know why the Chinese worked so hard to subjugate the place. They sure aren't interested in what the locals earn showing off their lifestyle for the tourists.Image
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jato0072 » Mon 03 Jul 2023, 20:47:19

Lucky us.

Do you mean like 1950s middle east "Luck us" we have all of the oil?!?! (Now please subjugate us!)

China has their 2 billion eyes on your Lithium.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 03 Jul 2023, 20:55:10

jato0072 wrote:
Lucky us.

Do you mean like 1950s middle east "Luck us" we have all of the oil?!?!

China already has their lithium.
Article on USGS resource estimates of lithium.Note that the 4 countries with more resources than Australia aren't China or any of their other conquered colonies. A sign of those who will rule the roost at the end of the day, no different than Saudi Arabia having a relatively low production rate of oil for its large resource base, allowing it flexibility in controlling price across decades, not just the startup phase of development.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 04 Jul 2023, 12:44:28

jato0072 wrote:
Lucky us.

Do you mean like 1950s middle east "Luck us" we have all of the oil?!?! (Now please subjugate us!)

The middle east was a third world region, dirt poor, and they made a deal with the devil. Australia is an advanced economy under the US nuclear umberella. Don't believe the political/military projections of the western press, it's all fear mongering. China has had 2000 years to come out of it's shell and conquer the world but has never tried. It's not in their nature, that's why the built the great wall. Their expansion into the south china sea and the bases they are building in places like Africa are just rational counters to the US militaries Massive presence all over the world. If China has a base somewhere the US has 10. They see the collapse of the US empire coming and are securing their trade routes is all. They believe the US will go spastic as it collapses and are sending a clear signal that they don't want to messed with.

The Japanese were another kettle of fish, a Martial race of people, like the Germans are, they had no resources and no trade goods to offer in exchange for their growth. They wanted an Empire. China just wants to be left alone to get about it's money-grubbing. Even the specter of a Taiwanese takeover is US political BS. Taiwan is populated by Chinese lol, it's basically a part of China! But it's also a US allie, a choice place to keep an eye on the dreaded Chinese hoard. I don't particularly like the Chinese people, they are turds to do business with and do not fit into any other society than their own. They have a vast superiority complex but it's not backed up by any balls. We will sell them the raw materials they want and they will be happy, we will buy their mass-produced product and we'll be happy. Besides, the biggest fraction of non-white immigrants here are chinese, 6% at last count.

Look at our demographics and ask yourself the question. Would you rather be living in a nation with 6% Chinese, all working hard to be doctors and small business owners, or in a nation with 12% blacks, who just want to shoot someone? And then are the latinos over there, 19%, many of which are gangbangers and drug dealers. I don't concern myself with vague trumped up future threats only real here and now threats. That's why if lived in the states I would be doing everything in my power to get the hell out! The culture there is insane now but the inhabitants are frogs in the pot, they can't see the danger.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/peopl ... st-release

A good article on the Taiwan/US issue
https://thediplomat.com/2021/08/why-tai ... ed-states/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 04 Jul 2023, 14:03:57

Good points. My comment was more tongue-in-cheek.

That's why if lived in the states I would be doing everything in my power to get the hell out!

Maybe Australia is doing really well, I don't know. The USA still has some resources left, but we are truly governed by morons at the Federal level (and some States too!!!) I think parts of USA will do okay, relatively speaking. Other parts will collapse violently. Some of our large cities are already collapsing... perhaps "declining" is less hyperbolic. It's not Hati, Sri Lanka, South Africa or Lebanon. Not yet.

Wait, this is the EV thread....what happened. :lol:

Electric cars will save the planet!
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 05 Jul 2023, 05:22:59

jato0072 wrote:
Wait, this is the EV thread....what happened. :lol:

yes it is :lol: And I for one had a lot of hope when they first began rolling out that they would be viable options. But as time passed it became evident that the EV was based on a Pack of Lies! You would have never gotten away with this 30 years ago, but the swindles of the IT bubble, the housing bubble, and all manner of other consumer fraud meant that it was acceptable to market an expensive car that was range limited, problematic to refuel and downright dangerous to park in the garage or even drive down the road!

It's a sick joke really, one we have become accustomed to seeing unfortunately. The end of abundance seems to be morphing into a money grab.

Elk Grove father says he grateful to be alive after Tesla catches fire near Highway 99 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VykGDZIIqLw
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 05 Jul 2023, 22:48:43

theluckycountry wrote:
jato0072 wrote:Wait, this is the EV thread....what happened. :lol:

yes it is :lol: And I for one had a lot of hope when they first began rolling out that they would be viable options. But as time passed it became evident that the EV was based on a Pack of Lies!

Time passed and you gained zero experience with EVs. Listening instead to other armchair experts who themselves couldn't be bothered to graduate high school perhaps, birds of a feather and all that. Some of us gained experience with EVs, starting with Gen I hybrids, and working our way up the auto efficiency foodchain. And discovered that graduating high school came in really handy when it came to figuring out that they sure come in handy saving $$ in operating costs.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 05 Jul 2023, 23:40:05

theluckycountry wrote:
It's a sick joke really, one we have become accustomed to seeing unfortunately.

Elk Grove father says he grateful to be alive after Tesla catches fire near Highway 99 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VykGDZIIqLw

It is amazing how blithely people accept the risk of their EVs exploding into flames.

And if the fire danger wasn't enough, now insurance companies are raising another red flag about EV dangers.....EVs are just too darn heavy.

fires-ev-safety-concern-weight-is-worse-warns-iihs

As EVs get bigger and bigger their weight is ballooning. Really large SUV EVs can weight over 9000 lbs!!!!!!

When a car that large and heavy gets in a collision it tends to squish everything in its path......cars, pedestrians, drivers.......so expect a jump in death and destruction on the highways as EVs take over says insurance institute....

BEEP!! BEEP!!! BEEEP!!!! Look out for bigger and heavier EV SUVs now hitting the roads!!!!

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 06:42:58

Plantagenet wrote:[...so expect a jump in death and destruction on the highways as EVs take over says insurance institute...

Well I don't expect it, because I can't see how EVs can take over lol. At the end of the day the opinions of tech heads and politicians mean nothing, it's the opinion of the masses that have to shell out their hard earned that matters. Unfortunately discussing EVs is like discussing transgender perverts, anyone in the media spotlight, like the commenter in your link, has to go with the party line or get ridiculed.

That's the saddest part of the whole EV movement, it's not innovative science at all now, it truly is a religion because if you say anything against it, no matter how justified, you are shouted down as a heretic! If they had not been so ambitious in their trying to push a word-wide transition and instead focused on little inner-city commuter vehicles they might have retained some credibility, but as it stands they have pushed the envelop and that's resulted in inefficient and dangerously overweight death traps.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 13:30:07

Plantagenet wrote:It is amazing how blithely people accept the risk of their EVs exploding into flames.

And it is 3X more amazing that hybrid owners blithely accept the additional risk.

Can you describe your logic as to why you are willing to blithely accept 3X the additional fire risk compared to us EV owners?

Perhaps you had not done the research on the topic at that point to realize how much safer ICE and EVs are over the one you bought?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 23:13:11

New Chinese restrictions on export of rare earth minerals will hurt US EV industry

he-u-s-ev-industry-is-in-the-line-of-fire-in-chinas-trade-retaliation

Now Biden-the-senile-old-fool has started a trade war with China.

Biden has just started a trade war with China.....and China is striking back against US EV manufacturers

And our nascent EV industry is likely to be among the first US victims of the Biden-China trade war.

Good job, JOE.

SHEESH!!!!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 07 Jul 2023, 07:40:19

Plantagenet wrote:Biden has just started a trade war with China.....and China is striking back against US EV manufacturers

When goods don't cross borders, armies do, it's an old old truism. The attack on pearl harbor, to neutralize the US pacific fleet, was a direct response to the US oil embargo on Japan. When they couldn't get what they wanted from the "free" market, the Japanese went down into the pacific to take it by force.
History, the history of war, is so repetitive, so predictable.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 07 Jul 2023, 07:41:42

theluckycountry wrote:That's the saddest part of the whole EV movement, it's not innovative science at all now, it truly is a religion because if you say anything against it, no matter how justified, you are shouted down as a heretic!

You are wrong. While peak oil might fit your simpleton definition, there isn't a single person shouting you down around here, other than noting your ignorance on the topic, the directionality of EV sales, the reasons people who own them to use them, the savings available to them, etc etc.

I recommend learning and whatnot, so you'll understand the difference between random internet quotes without any thinking versus practical experience and education and whatnot. Not perhaps available to you locally and as recent videos of what the value of an Australian public education is worth, but I can find you some local adult training locally at a community college or something if you'd like.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 07 Jul 2023, 19:27:53

Related:

"China is restricting the export of two little-known metals crucial to the semiconductor industry. It shows Beijing still holds important chips in its tech war with the West."

https://www.businessinsider.com/ai-chip ... ors-2023-7
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 07 Jul 2023, 22:20:23

ralfy wrote:Related:
"China is restricting the export of two little-known metals crucial to the semiconductor industry. It shows Beijing still holds important chips in its tech war with the West."
https://www.businessinsider.com/ai-chip ... ors-2023-7

The two little known metals? Germanium and gallium.
Where does gallium come from? Bunches from the processing of bauxite ore in the manufacture of aluminum. OMG!!! If we stop making aluminum we'll tank gallium production? Say we aren't stopping aluminum manufacturing! /s We aren't.

Where does germanium come from? Smelting of zinc ores and get this...byproduct of burning certain coal types.

So I guess the coal burning world which isn't in China will have to get with the program and start rounding up their germanium from their coal plants without using cheap Chinese labor. If FIrst Worlders don't want to root around in coal byproducts, maybe we can put low wage or illegal immigrants to work doing it? Or just import Filipinos to do it.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Sat 08 Jul 2023, 02:18:04

AdamB wrote: put low wage or illegal immigrants to work doing it? Or just import Filipinos to do it.

or what about paying decent salary to Americans? We have enough imported 3rd world as is, no need for more.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 08 Jul 2023, 08:30:06

mousepad wrote:
AdamB wrote: put low wage or illegal immigrants to work doing it? Or just import Filipinos to do it.

or what about paying decent salary to Americans?

Labor costs would be higher, and the oligarchs wouldn't be able to maximize their profits. What a silly idea, paying Americans a decent wage to do things that Filipinos would do for 1/4th the hourly rate. Plus no benefits...if they get sick, just send them home and plug in a new one.

mousepad wrote:We have enough imported 3rd world as is, no need for more.

I agree, but maybe they aren't as efficient as Filipinos, so we can swap them out? Don't shipping companies do this, using Filipinos as crewmen on ships all over the world?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 14 Jul 2023, 00:43:20

Remember, I called it. PeakEV

Waiting For 'Buyers To Come': Unsold Electric Vehicles Piling Up In Car Dealerships, Says Report

The number of unsold electric vehicles at dealers in the second quarter tripled compared to the past year, signaling a weakened demand for the segment, said a recent report by leading auto-dealer data company Cox Automotive.

In second quarter 2023, the average inventory for electric vehicles (EVs) topped more than 92,000 units on the ground at dealer lots, according to the 2023 Cox Automotive Mid-Year Review presentation. This is up 342 percent compared to second quarter 2022. During this period, the new “EV days’ supply,” which refers to the average number of days a warehouse holds inventory before selling it, rose 166 percent, to 92 days from 38.5 days.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/waiti ... ays-report

Yes the pace of EV sales are up, whatever that means lol, but the exponential growth has flatlined. The Great transition has hit a brick wall and for no apparent reason other than the fact the vast majority of drivers want nothing to do with them.

The article goes on to make some odd conclusions

While inventory is building up at dealer lots, a study by Cox Automotive found a wide gap between dealers and customers regarding future expectations of EV use. According to Cox Automotive’s 2023 study, “Path to EV Adoption: Consumer and Dealer Perspectives”, even though 53 percent of consumers see EVs as a future and that such vehicles will replace gas engines over time, only 31 percent of dealers held such a view.

So the lions share of dealers don't think EV is the future? Well they'd be the ones to know being on the frontline of sales. Yet they have overstocked? Perhaps the EV makers have dumped them on consignment, I would assume so but I have no idea how the US automotive dealers operate. As for the 53% of consumers believing they are the future, well that's just their answer today, based on all the propaganda they have digested. They are being 'woke' in other words. They are not willing to challenge the global mantra in a poll yet.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology