Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 12:01:11

theluckycountry wrote:I am afraid he's just parroting the marketing pitch of the auto makers, all of which has been debunked now, by leading Universities and engineers.
You are living in your own little world and making up your own facts. EV sales are up 50% year over year but you just continue your drivel: "EV sales have peaked. Sales are now going down." Riiiigghhht. Sales up 50% means sales are going down.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 15:46:26

kublikhan wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:I am afraid he's just parroting the marketing pitch of the auto makers, all of which has been debunked now, by leading Universities and engineers.
You are living in your own little world and making up your own facts.

Well Lucky has already admitted to all of that. Did you see that Australian educational quality video I found on YouTube? And Lucky says he dropped out of even that regime of education...making things up in lieu of knowledge or understanding is like breathing at this point I imagine.
kublikhan wrote:EV sales are up 50% year over year but you just continue your drivel: "EV sales have peaked. Sales are now going down." Riiiigghhht. Sales up 50% means sales are going down.

White is black, black is white, up is down, down is up, etc etc.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 18:09:10

AdamB wrote:Did you see that Australian educational quality video I found on YouTube?
Yeah, that was funny. I watched it like 3 times.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 19:26:56

It's taken a few years for the EV industry to settle into a pattern that scientists can analyze, but that period has passed now. Here is the latest in-depth study from the Anderson Economic Group https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/w ... -21-21.pdf

The study hits all the main point but leaves out the downsides of insurance and fires in these useless virtue signal modes of transport. It clearly reveals the Lies we have been sold in the media since the beginning of the EV bubble.

Excerpts:
FUELING COSTS
. The direct monetary costs of fueling EVs is often higher than for comparable ICE vehicles. We analyzed the direct monetary costs of fueling for six categories of representative vehicles. We included all the direct monetary costs listed in Table 1 for both ICE and EVs. Our analysis included the following steps:
• Our representative vehicles included EV and ICE cars in the entry-level, mid-priced and luxury segments.
• We recognize that EV drivers choose between home and commercial chargers depending on their driving patterns, infrastructure availability and other individual circumstances. Therefore, we
assumed some EV owners primarily use home chargers while others rely primarily on commercial chargers...
• We also accounted for the burden of deadhead miles for EVs, which is significantly higher than for ICE cars.

For the example set in Michigan, the direct monetary costs to drive 100 miles in an ICE vehicle is between $8 and $12, and in an EV is between $12 and $15. A summary of this direct monetary cost comparison is in Table 2 on page 9.

And it get a lot worse

EVs IMPOSE CONSIDERABLE TIME BURDENS
Finding reliable commercial fast chargers, and waiting for EVs to charge, impose significant time costs on drivers. Even under ideal conditions, it takes substantially longer to fuel EVs than for comparable ICE cars. Real world conditions often impose additional burdens, including these two:

1. Driving and charging time: We estimate that for a typical EV driver in a non-rural area, it often takes about 20 minutes to drive to a reliable DC fast charger. It often takes another 20 to 30 minutes for the charging process to complete.
Of course, this is for fast DC chargers. Slower L2 chargers are much more common, but charging at these can take multiple hours. Of course, this will vary considerably depending on the resident
location of the driver, and their use of the vehicle.

2. Recurrent reliability problems: EV drivers face recurring problems at chargers such as breakdowns, software bugs, delays in syncing the mobile application with the charger, charger output being significantly lower than advertised, and outright failures. This is in addition to the problem of vehicles blocking (or “icing”) EV charging spots.

Online forums are full of comments from drivers expressing frustration about these problems. Moreover, our first-hand experience confirms the existence of these problems.

An earlier work by the same consulting firm
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 110815001/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 19:37:10

kublikhan wrote: EV sales are up 50% year over year but you just continue your drivel: "EV sales have peaked. Sales are now going down."

Yes, they peaked a month or more ago, as the earlier posts confirm. Your year over year figure means nothing. I bet when Tesla shares collapsed by 50% you only looked at the data from the year before, then quietly went silent when the shares didn't rebound back up lol. Oh and if you want to chime in with the current price of the shares re: the bottom, don't forget to adjust for inflation.

You'll be like all the others online who get sucked into these bubbles, in six months or a year you'll go quiet and disappear off the forum when the trend is obvious. I've see it all before, the IT bubble heads, the Housing bubble heads. But keep digging a hole for yourself, and enjoy the higher costs of driving that timebomb.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 20:09:21

kublikhan wrote:
AdamB wrote:Did you see that Australian educational quality video I found on YouTube?
Yeah, that was funny. I watched it like 3 times.

I found it quite illustrative as well. And to imagine, Lucky couldn't even make it through that system. :-D
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 20:13:46

theluckycountry wrote:You'll be like all the others online who get sucked into these bubbles, in six months or a year you'll go quiet and disappear off the forum when the trend is obvious.

I don't recall Kublikan mentioning they owned an EV at all, you appear to be presupposing Kubli even wants one? Not everyone will. Like yourself. And I'm here 8 years into ownership of my first. Haven't disappeared anywhere, am quite verbose on the topic as a matter of fact.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 20 Jul 2023, 20:19:27

theluckycountry wrote:It's taken a few years for the EV industry to settle into a pattern that scientists can analyze, but that period has passed now. Here is the latest in-depth study from the Anderson Economic Group https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/w ... -21-21.pdf

The study hits all the main point but leaves out the downsides of insurance and fires in these useless virtue signal modes of transport. It clearly reveals the Lies we have been sold in the media since the beginning of the EV bubble.
You are bringing up this trash report again? This was already debunked years ago. I linked to multiple debunkings the last time you tried to peddle this crap.

theluckycountry wrote:Yes, they peaked a month or more ago, as the earlier posts confirm. Your year over year figure means nothing.
Year over year figures mean nothing? You would rather look at one month of data? I don't think I am going to debate numbers with you any longer. It seems almost cruel.

theluckycountry wrote:You'll be like all the others online who get sucked into these bubbles, in six months or a year you'll go quiet and disappear off the forum when the trend is obvious.
But you won't though. I've seen your ilk before. When 6 months go by and EV sales are still higher than they were a year ago, you will just move the goal posts and claim the rapture is nigh with some new BS.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 22 Jul 2023, 21:53:39

kublikhan wrote:I've seen your ilk before. When 6 months go by and EV sales are still higher than they were a year ago, you will just move the goal posts and claim the rapture is nigh with some new BS.

Still higher? You need to back off the meds kubliconian. Sure in the good ol US of A your demented politicians are still pouring fuel on the fire, and the public, as dumb as ever, are dancing in it. Here, LOOK. Global sales have flatlined.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/th ... y-2023.png

Not a single month in 2023 has passed sales in Dec 2022, and most are well below the last 4 months of 2022. Your credibility just went out the window.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 22 Jul 2023, 22:04:43

Who will survive the EV sales crash?

March 7, 2023
Sales have plummeted this year but some momentum remains - in the UK electric vehicle sales grew a fifth year-on-year in January. Global EV sales in January hit 672,000 but this was nearly 50 per cent down on December. Consultancy Rystad Energy described the drop as “one of the most dramatic collapses” witnessed. The situation was not helped after demand from China dropped as subsidies from the Chinese government came to an end.

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/ne ... les-crash/

Tesla and the others are slashing their prices but to no avail, Why have sales cratered? The loss of subsidies is a big player but either way 6 months of sales shows that Peak EV is upon us, the figures don't lie. The exponential growth is OVER! There will be no Big Transition.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 22 Jul 2023, 22:48:22

Your chart and article both show EV sales up 50% year over year. There are fluctuations in sales from month to month. Sometimes there is a month of high sales, sometimes a month of slow sales. Yes, April 2023 was a down month for EV sales. But this was also the case in April of 2020, April 2021, and April 2022. Yet all 3 years had sales rise to new heights in later months. This is why you should not look at a dip in 1 month of sales and declare "peak EV has arrived." You made this same mistake when you declared Norway had hit peak EV. You showed a chart with 1 down month of sales. Then a month later, sales are up again.

theluckycountry wrote:Who will survive the EV sales crash?

March 7, 2023
Sales have plummeted this year but some momentum remains - in the UK electric vehicle sales grew a fifth year-on-year in January. Global EV sales in January hit 672,000 but this was nearly 50 per cent down on December. Consultancy Rystad Energy described the drop as “one of the most dramatic collapses” witnessed. The situation was not helped after demand from China dropped as subsidies from the Chinese government came to an end.

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/ne ... les-crash/

Tesla and the others are slashing their prices but to no avail, Why have sales cratered? The loss of subsidies is a big player but either way 6 months of sales shows that Peak EV is upon us, the figures don't lie. The exponential growth is OVER! There will be no Big Transition.
Are you incapable of reading a chart? The chart you posted shows that for every single month this year sales are higher than sales in that month's prior years.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 23 Jul 2023, 01:47:46

kublikhan wrote:Your chart and article both show EV sales up 50% year over year. There are fluctuations in sales from month to month. Sometimes there is a month of high sales, sometimes a month of slow sales. Yes, April 2023 was a down month for EV sales.

It's not a month, it's 5 months now where sales haven't exceeded last Decembers' high... Peak!
It doesn't matter what sales were a year ago in the context of the peak, all that matters is a reasonable track record of lower sales, and the chart clearly shows that.

Are you incapable of reading a chart? The chart you posted shows that for every single month this year sales are higher than sales in that month's prior years.

:lol: and guess what, for every single month this year sales are higher than the corresponding month for all the years of the chart. That is irrelevant. What is relevant is that January February April and May sales of this year are equal to or below September October November and December sales of last year. Mostly Below. That's not a one month anomaly, that's a trend well in place.

The trend is your friend as they say in finance, sell your Tesla shares while they are still up kubli, the writing is on the wall. PeakEV. You heard it here first.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 23 Jul 2023, 01:58:28

Currently there are about 290.8 million cars in the U.S.
and about 1.7 million are EVs 0.6%

Who Are the One Percent in the United States by Income and Net Worth?
$570,003 is the cutoff for a top 1% household income in the United States in 2022. For a single earner, the cutoff is $401,622.

So the rich 1% haven't even switched to EV, far from it in fact considering how many average income earners have bought them on tick. Now David Attenborough, the anti-carbon Eco-warrior, is not in the 1%. He's like in the .01%, and what does he drive? Either his V12 Rolls-Royce Phantom or his 5.5Litre Turbo-charged V8 Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6×6.
What does that prove? It proves that wealthy people are not stupid :lol:

https://dqydj.com/top-one-percent-united-states/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sun 23 Jul 2023, 03:08:10

theluckycountry wrote:It's not a month, it's 5 months now where sales haven't exceeded last Decembers' high... Peak!
It doesn't matter what sales were a year ago in the context of the peak, all that matters is a reasonable track record of lower sales, and the chart clearly shows that.

:lol: and guess what, for every single month this year sales are higher than the corresponding month for all the years of the chart. That is irrelevant. What is relevant is that January February April and May sales of this year are equal to or below September October November and December sales of last year. Mostly Below. That's not a one month anomaly, that's a trend well in place.

The trend is your friend as they say in finance, sell your Tesla shares while they are still up kubli, the writing is on the wall. PeakEV. You heard it here first.
And that is the exact same thing that happened last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. There are seasonal trends in car sales. Peak sales tend to happened at the end of the year. This is not an EV thing, car sales in general follow seasonal trends:

The automotive industry has some definite seasonal trends, with peak demand occurring in the spring and fall, and lowest sales in January, February, and into the beginning of March.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
* The automotive industry experiences seasonal trends, with peak demand occurring during spring and fall.
* In the United States, car dealers experience the most difficulty in selling inventory during the winter months, particularly in January, February, and into early March.
* As the weather improves and people receive their tax refunds, car sales increase during the spring months.
* Demand often increases in the fall months when some manufacturers release their new car models for the coming year.
* Historically, December has been a slow sales month for the U.S. auto industry; however, starting in 2013 and continuing through 2019, December sales improved as car dealers have offered better deals and discounts to clear their inventory before the end of the year.

Peak Seasons
The two peak seasons for auto sales occur during the spring, from March through the end of May, and from September through November. During these periods of peak demand, cars' average sale prices can rise by 10% to 15%. Part of the explanation for the fall seasonal upswing in auto sales is due to U.S. auto manufacturers traditionally introducing new models for the year. After peaking in November and often into December, motor vehicle sales tend to drop dramatically in January.
How Important Are Seasonal Trends in the Automotive Sector?

The last quarter of the year is peak buying season for new cars.
When Is the Best Time to Buy a Car?
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 25 Jul 2023, 10:51:00

I don't think seasonal sales patterns are the whole story here.

We're looking at something completely unprecedented......the US government is paying out enormous subsidies to corporations to build EVs and EV batteries and to mining companies to mine lithium and other EV components.

The US government is also paying significant subsidies to people who buy EVs.

One of my favorite sayings about government is....."If you want more of something....subsidize it. If you want less of something.....tax it.

The US government is subsiding EVs like nothing has ever been subsidized before, so we're going to see more EVs.

Now as to whether or not subsidizing EVs was a smart idea and whether or not it results in lower CO2 emissions.....that remains to be seen,'

Personally I would rather have just seen a carbon tax.......but that is too simple and too smart and too effective to ever have a chance of being implemented in the US.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 25 Jul 2023, 16:51:33

Well said Plant
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 25 Jul 2023, 20:18:50

Plantagenet wrote:I don't think seasonal sales patterns are the whole story here.

We're looking at something completely unprecedented......the US government is paying out enormous subsidies to corporations to build EVs and EV batteries and to mining companies to mine lithium and other EV components.

It's also resulting in other countries handing out large subsidies for fear of losing manufacturing jobs to the US if they don't. The Canadian federal government and Ontario provincial government are providing funding to a Stellantis battery plant that could reach as much as $19 billion over 10 years and funding to a VW battery plant that could cost $16 billion over 10 years.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 26 Jul 2023, 01:49:28

yellowcanoe wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:I don't think seasonal sales patterns are the whole story here.

It's also resulting in other countries handing out large subsidies for fear of losing manufacturing jobs to the US if they don't. The Canadian federal government and Ontario provincial government are providing funding to a Stellantis battery plant that could reach as much as $19 billion over 10 years and funding to a VW battery plant that could cost $16 billion over 10 years.

Yup....exactly right, yellow canoe.

So we've got to hope the governments are right or they are just wasting billions of dollars on "Five year Plans" to switch the economy over to EVs.

Unfortunately, central top-down planning of economies has a terrible track record through history....look at what happened to the USSR.

Comrade #1 says everyone must now drive an EV!!!!

Already many of the promises made about EVs are proving to be wildly optimistic or even outright flawed and false.

Sadly, I fear that when all is said and done, the hugely expensive government programs to shift the economy over to EVs is going to wind up releasing MORE CO2, which will damage the global climate even more.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 26 Jul 2023, 17:23:22

Another sacrifice on the alter of Bright Green lies.

One dead in cargo ship fire, electric car suspected source, Dutch coastguard says
The crew had tried, but failed, to extinguish the fire, the coastguard statement said
The Panama-registered Fremantle Highway was transporting 2,857 cars from Germany to Egypt, 25 of them electric.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/on ... 023-07-26/

Well the crew who fought, and failed, to put out the fire would have told the coast guard of their efforts so we can assume the purported cause is accurate.

Here is an interesting page. A List of roll-on/roll-off vessel accidents dating back to 1953. For nearly all the period up till today the causes are typically "Capsized by Typhoon"; Caught in Cyclone, ran aground, Collision. In 2014 the trend changes; Caught fire, Caught fire, Caught fire while docked, 2023-cargo fire. Nearly all losses are due to fire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... _accidents

Of course LiPO battery malfunctions are not credited as the cause for all of these but it's undeniable they post the major risk. Even when just sitting idle on a ship. How many gasoline powered cars have burst into flames in the middle of the night and burnt the owner's house down?

Much WOW. I gotta have one. At any cost!

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 26 Jul 2023, 22:30:59

Shipping company Wallenius Wilhelmsen warned earlier this year:

Shipping companies are facing an added concern with the increasing demand for electric vehicles. Fires onboard vessels can have catastrophic consequences, and battery fires are extra potent and dangerous. Li-ion batteries generate extreme heat when they malfunction, often reaching temperatures of 800 degrees Celsius or higher. This heat can quickly spread to nearby combustible materials, causing a rapid fire that's challenging to extinguish.

Controlling battery fires is nearly impossible and might indicate Fremantle Highway could burn for days, if not longer. Perhaps the shippers will begin refusing to transport them? Especially if their insurance rates go up accordingly. Perhaps they can tow them behind in a barge? It's not there are that many anyway now sales have fallen off a cliff. Yes a big barge, one where the rope can be cut and it can be sunk at the first sign of trouble :lol:
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology