Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 14

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 27 Jul 2023, 15:22:48

Perhaps freighters that transport EVs should be required to pre-load each EV into its own watertight dumpster and install sea water pumps above each dumpster before putting EVs on a ship. That way, when one EVs explodes in to flames all the EVs could immediately be submerged under seawater in their own secure dumpsters, thereby saving lives and the ship.

Ahoy the burning ship.....What's your cargo?? EVs you say???

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 27 Jul 2023, 18:35:23

Probably more than you want to know.

https://gcaptain.com/ocean-shippers-pla ... fire-risk/

That risk has been put under the spotlight by the burning car carrier drifting off the Dutch coast. The Dutchcoastguard said the fire’s cause was unknown, but Dutch broadcaster RTL released a recording in which an emergency responder is heard saying “the fire started in the battery of an electric car.”

While all logistics companies deal with the risk of EV lithium-ion batteries burning with twice the energy of a normal fire, the maritime industry hasn’t kept up with the developing technology and how it creates greater risk, maritime officials and insurers said.

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 28 Jul 2023, 20:20:21

Plantagenet wrote:Perhaps freighters that transport EVs should be required to pre-load each EV into its own watertight dumpster and install sea water pumps above each dumpster

Or just stack the dumpsters by the hull and have chutes where they can be ejected into the ocean at the first sign of trouble?

Used EV Prices Continue To Fall, Down 28% Since Last Year

Nearly 40 percent of used EVs in the United States are available for less than $30,000, according to Recurrent’s latest market report. The prices of used all-electric vehicles in the United States have gone down 28 percent since July 2022, according to the latest car buying report from Recurrent, with used Tesla prices seeing a decrease of more than 30 percent year-over-year as a consequence of the company reducing new vehicle prices.

https://insideevs.com/news/678631/used- ... last-year/

The rot has set in, must Suck to be Adam B :lol:
Tesla Now Offering 84-Month Financing Term
The interest rate is around 6.39 percent.

Pleese Pleeese by an EV :(
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 28 Jul 2023, 21:11:15

theluckycountry wrote:Used EV Prices Continue To Fall, Down 28% Since Last Year

Outstanding!! I realize that high school dropouts didn't get enough time to learn much more than...readin and writin and riffmatick...maybe...so it is highly likely they hardly passed out even the most basic investing knowledge.

Buy when there is blood in the streets Lucky. And the concept can be applied to EVs as well, if I had an urge to trade up I'd be out shopping. My EV is a solid performer, cost 22% of new when purchased 2-1/2 years ago, yet on this 8th year of use maintains 85% of battery SOC. Who needs government incentives when nothing but at least a high school education can put you on the right side of maintaining maximum value with minimal cost?
theluckycountry wrote:The rot has set in, must Suck to be Adam B :lol:

Yeah..sucks to cage around without using a drop of petrol. Nor an air filter. Nor an oil change. I believe it has been washed a time or two? I put a set of tires on it. Nothing else needed. Sure sucks to have cheap reliable transportation. Maybe they don't tell kangaroo riders this for fear that demand for kangaroo trainers will drop and banana benders discover EVs are cheap, don't require maintenance much, don't crap all around the yard and come with AC?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 29 Jul 2023, 09:11:28

It's like Y2K all over again. Now that everyone has rushed out and bought an EV out of fear of being left out in the cold, Governments are backtracking on incentives, and now on ICE bans.

An EU ruling preventing the ban of internal combustion engines (ICEs) using e-fuels from 2035 has been welcomed by a host of car manufacturers exploring the prospective tech, but labelled as a stalling technique by environmental groups.

Ferrari (NYSE:RACE) and Porsche dubbed the move good news, saying it provided clarity for planning and meant several types of car could be offered, instead of just electric vehicles... The EU had been expected to implement an umbrella ban on the sale of ICE cars from 2035, but pressure from Germany and Italy saw it instead pass a law requiring new cars to be net-zero in terms of carbon emissions. This means cars running on e-fuels...

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 10548.html

Back pedal back pedal.

And in the UK.

This week’s government ambivalence over the longstanding 2030 EV sales deadline is potentially “damaging for fleets” who are committed to electrification, says FleetCheck.

Peter Golding, managing director at the leading fleet software provider, FleetCheck, said that prime minister Rishi Sunak’s equivocation when asked about the deadline by an interviewer had set alarm bells ringing across the industry.

https://fleetpoint.org/government-polic ... or-fleets/

So, we have inventory building, sales of new EV collapsing, Collapsing prices of used EV and the withdrawal of subsidies and future ICE bans all occuring in just a few months. PeakEV, you heard it here first. But don't worry, they will still find a niche in the world.

Even the Segway found a home

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 29 Jul 2023, 10:41:05

theluckycountry wrote:It's like Y2K all over again. Now that everyone has rushed out and bought an EV out of fear of being left out in the cold.......

You've previously claimed that their aren't many of them around...now it is "everyone"?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 29 Jul 2023, 10:47:31

OK. Finally some good news on the EV front. This car makes sense and I can see it as a move in the right direction. No I'm not rabidly anti-EV. I believe they have their place, I have just always thought that the brainless American/Euro concept of making them in the image of big sports cars was doomed from the start.

Thai distributor EV Primus announces plans to launch Wuling Air in Malaysia in 2024
Yesterday, the Wuling Air EV was launched in Thailand as the cheapest electric vehicle (EV) on sale in ASEAN with a starting price of RM 52k (Malaysian Ringgits) or 11,000 $US. Fully imported (CBU) from Indonesia, Wuling’s Thai distributor EV Primus also announced that it is planning to expand to Malaysia and the Philippines in 2024

https://www.wapcar.my/news/thai-distrib ... 2024-70226

The perfect little city runaround :) A 4-seater too. Cuts pollution, cheap, and very economical on battery usage I would think. Both variants are powered by a 41 PS/110 Nm electric motor mounted on the rear axle with the smaller battery (17.3 kWh) having a 200 km range while the long range variant adds another 100 km of range. Charging via a 6.6-kW AC charger to hit a full state of charge (SoC) takes 4 hours. That's nearly household currents. 5kW here in Oz.

For comparison a Tesla model 3 has a 57 or 75kWh battery option. Pound for pound Electric batteries are gutless compared to gasoline so you need to get the weight of the vehicle down as much as you can. This a good start in the right direction.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 29 Jul 2023, 15:16:14

theluckycountry wrote:OK. Finally some good news on the EV front. This car makes sense and I can see it as a move in the right direction. No I'm not rabidly anti-EV.

Never said you were. Just ignorant about EVs. EV data. The difference between sales going up, and saying they were cratering. I just assumed it was because if a kangaroo was good enough for your parents, by God it is good enough for anyone else who didn't have what it took to graduate high school.

theluckycountry wrote:I believe they have their place, I have just always thought that the brainless American/Euro concept of making them in the image of big sports cars was doomed from the start.

Okay, so you have no experience with EVs themselves, which seems to lead you astray as to exactly what they might be for, how us owners use them, how much they cost, WHY we bought them, etc etc. Now you want to offer your opinion based on the same thorough lack of experience on MARKETING concepts? Do you have any formal marketing experience with....anything?

theluckycountry wrote:The perfect little city runaround :) A 4-seater too.

Really? Sounds like my EV.
theluckycountry wrote:Cuts pollution, cheap, and very economical on battery usage I would think.

My Leaf certainly fits the bill as well.
theluckycountry wrote: Both variants are powered by a 41 PS/110 Nm electric motor mounted on the rear axle with the smaller battery (17.3 kWh) having a 200 km range

Well, 41PS converts to about what, 40HP? My Leaf output is 107 HP. Why do you like less power? Afraid of it?
110 newton meters is the equivalent of 80 ft/lbs of torque. My Leaf has 187 ft/lbs. Enough for my wife, so half of that could be satisfactory for the "male" descendants of penal colony folks. It must be the comparison with kangaroo's that makes you scared of more horsepower and torque?
theluckycountry wrote:Charging via a 6.6-kW AC charger to hit a full state of charge (SoC) takes 4 hours. That's nearly household currents. 5kW here in Oz.

The exact current my Leaf accepts as well.
theluckycountry wrote:starting price of RM 52k (Malaysian Ringgits) or 11,000 $US

I paid $8000 US for mine. Lightly used, I can't stand the new car depreciation drop, just for the smell, and a month of driving it before it becomes the used one worth 20% less that I should have bought in the first place.

So you like EVs inferior and more expensive to the EVs we folks here in the land of exceptional buy (3 Leafs on my block alone) why? Because products built in countries with a reputation for only able to do lower quality, less powerful, probably less safe, work than the First World manufacturers? With your compliance with the New Asian Order run by China do the aborigine's call you yellafella?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 30 Jul 2023, 23:43:11

Oh-oh.

Tesla just got caught lying about the range of its EVs.

They've been wildly overestimating how far their EVs can go on a charge, to the point that customers who buy Tesla's keep complaining that their car must be broken because it won't go as far as Tesla promised.

So many customers complained that their Tesla's couldn't go as far as Tesla promised that Tesla actually set up a special committee within the company whose job it was to tell more lies to all those people who complained.

tesla-vastly-overstates-its-vehicles-range-

Personally this is exactly what I expected. Every time you examine something closely about EVs, it falls far short of the promises made by the EV boosters.

But at least this time it's funny...........you've got to laugh when some people turn out to be so naive and so stupid that they actually believed all the false claims Tesla was making about their EVs :-D :lol: 8) :roll:

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 02:13:27

It's the friction from the rubber tires that's holding them back. They need to fit steel wheels to their teslas if they want the official range estimates.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 08:10:36

Plantagenet wrote:Personally this is exactly what I expected. Every time you examine something closely about EVs, it falls far short of the promises made by the EV boosters.

That's impossible, Plant. After all, numerous university studies have clearly shown that EV and renewables are so CHEAP and so GOOD that they dwarf anything else. And who can we trust, if not liberal leftist university studies, I ask you?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 11:03:29

from the article:
from drivers who are seeing as little as half the range…

Now that's significant. And the question to ask is if the reduced milage is due to reduced battery capacity, or due to higher kWh per mile.
If more energy is used per mile, that opens the door to revisiting all them rosy CO2 calculations. I suspect the actual CO2 footprint of an EV don't look so good anymore compared to gas car. Maybe them leftist liberal university studies claiming better CO2 perfomance of EVs can't be trusted anymore? Could it be that driving a small gas car is actually better for the climate than driving a tesla?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 16:29:25

mousepad wrote:

from the article:

Now that's significant. And the question to ask is if the reduced milage is due to reduced battery capacity, or due to higher kWh per mile.

I lose perhaps 25% of my kWh/mile efficiency when the battery has cold soaked at <40F. It was a known thing prior to purchasing an EV. The garage never goes below freezing, so I don't know what ultracold might do to it.

On my other EV, which on occasion finds itself out and about in winter, I have noted that at -15F, it kicks on the range extender immediately upon startup, and won't allow any battery usage until the ICE engine has warmed up the cabin and battery.
mousepad wrote:If more energy is used per mile, that opens the door to revisiting all them rosy CO2 calculations.

It does. So it makes the use location significant. Or at least some average annual temperature expectation, including whether or not it is garaged. Optimal temperature for the lithium based batteries is like 78-79F if memory serves, Leaf batteries like mine have been ruined by fast charging in Phoenix year round, day after day, in 115F temps. "Ruined" meaning the SOC drops to something degrading the range to something unusable for the expected distances needed by the purchaser.
mousepad wrote: Could it be that driving a small gas car is actually better for the climate than driving a tesla?

Could be. Find some credible reference and it would be worth talking about. Plant misrepresents everything that falls into her hands about EVs and I'm tired of going through the source materials finding out all the caveats that she can't be bothered to note when bashing the things...after pretending she owned one.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 16:30:13

The lies told by the EV makers aside, let's look at something out in the open, and OBVIOUS

Around 2020 Tesla finally made a profit. A far cry from Henry Ford's experience I'll wager. But the devil was in the details.

To be clear, Tesla did report a profit for 2020, under generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), marking the company's first full year of profitability. But that profit did not come from the core business of manufacturing cars. Tesla booked a whopping $1.58 billion of revenue from selling regulatory credits last year, more than the previous three years combined. Tesla's net income of $721 million in 2020 turns into a substantial loss if those regulatory credit sales are backed out.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/01/ ... 20annually.

Yes I know that was 2020

Does Tesla make money?

It took Tesla 17 years to turn a profit when it announced that 2020 was the first full year of profitability in the company’s history. While the company generates substantial revenue from automotive sales and regulatory credits, it took some time to profit due to production costs and supply chain issues.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2022/0 ... f4cf0032c7

Yes it did better and made a profit on its cars, finally, during the pandemic, but that was by selling gazillions at high prices, like the high prices charged for french poodles and other posh dogs to cash flush pandemic saps. (Yes if you paid a fortune for a trendy little dog you're a sap)
This was a one off basically, the Blowoff top before PeakEV. But it's not just Tesla.

Ford set to lose $4.5 billion on electric vehicles this year
July 29, 2023
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... ed-revenue

Basically they are running out of people that want to Beta test an EV, the exponential growth is over for these electricity Guzzlers.

Compare Tesla stock https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TSLA?p= ... c=fin-srch
It's well down from the top in 2021 where the other techie stocks are back up. Companies like Apple have exceeded their previous highs after the slump but not Tesla. Growth is over for Tesla.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 21:48:25

mousepad wrote:

from the article:

If more energy is used per mile, that opens the door to revisiting all them rosy CO2 calculations. I suspect the actual CO2 footprint of an EV don't look so good anymore compared to gas car. Maybe them leftist liberal university studies claiming better CO2 perfomance of EVs can't be trusted anymore? Could it be that driving a small gas car is actually better for the climate than driving a tesla?

Exactly right.

And thank you, MOUSEPAD, for pointing that out.

I've made the point many times before that the claims that EVs will help reduce CO2 emissions look much less credible when you use real world data rather then the phony numbers put out there by EV fanbois.

AND here's another phony number based on nothing more then lies from Tesla......and its no mistake or accident----Tesla knew that the mileage that EVs can supposedly travel on a battery charge has been wildly OVERSTATED by Tesla for years and they just continued to lie about it. Tesla even set up a group within Tesla to lie again to people complaining that they weren't getting the mileage Tesla said they would get.

The liars at Tesla actually set up a secret committee whose job was to lie to angry customers about the inadequate battery range of their EVs

Every time I look closely at the EV numbers, I find more phony numbers and another glitch and another major problem that the EV makers are busily lying about in an attempt to cover things up.

Its a good thing that I already decided that there is no hope of avoiding climate doom, or I might be surprised or concerned about the revelations that Tesla has been lying big time about the mileage range of their EVs.

SHEESH!!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 31 Jul 2023, 22:20:46

Plantagenet wrote:I've made the point many times before that the claims that EVs will help reduce CO2 emissions look much less credible when you use real world data rather then the phony numbers put out there by EV fanbois.

And you claimed to be an EV owner when you were a fangurl, when called out changed it to a hybrid which combusts more often then EVs, pretended that EVs caught fire more often than ICE until that turned out to be wrong, and are still looking for who might have bailed a cadaver out of a morgue?

Now busily claiming peak oils, again, and pretending when you pull the most recent broken clock routine, that what...you were struck by the charm of Deffeyes when you went for that hook, line and sinker?
Plantagenet wrote:Every time I look closely at the EV numbers, I find more phony numbers and another glitch and another major problem that the EV makers are busily lying about in an attempt to cover things up.

Sounds like the same for me every time I look at your posting history, comparing your current claims to the past. Is it that storytelling geologist part of you that just can't help itself?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Tue 01 Aug 2023, 07:41:16

AdamB wrote:It does. So it makes the use location significant. Or at least some average annual temperature expectation, including whether or not it is garaged. Optimal temperature for the lithium based batteries is like 78-79F if memory serves, Leaf batteries like mine have been ruined by fast charging in Phoenix year round

Yes, I agree. Gone are the days when you could drive from alaska to texas without having to worry about ruining your battery.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 01 Aug 2023, 09:14:53

mousepad wrote:
AdamB wrote:It does. So it makes the use location significant. Or at least some average annual temperature expectation, including whether or not it is garaged. Optimal temperature for the lithium based batteries is like 78-79F if memory serves, Leaf batteries like mine have been ruined by fast charging in Phoenix year round

Yes, I agree. Gone are the days when you could drive from alaska to texas without having to worry about ruining your battery.

I didn't realize those days ever existed. I presume /s ?

Does make me wonder though if it has been tried and blogged about somewhere, it would seem like someone would think it was an interesting stunt just for the fun of it.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 01 Aug 2023, 19:40:11

So Adam dunbed in for 3 worthless EV's? The LEAF was a waste of time too, as was the Pre-arse, none of them have measured up simply because of the economics and physical characteristics of batteries. They are the dream of the 70's eco-crowd, revamped and flogged to an unsuspecting public who wanted to live in the star trek future they had been watching on the idiot box for decades.

I love SciFi as much as the next person but I don't let it interfere with my grasp on reality.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 01 Aug 2023, 20:55:49

theluckycountry wrote:So Adam dunbed in for 3 worthless EV's?

2. And neither are worthless, and just to date have provided 371k km of reliable service. I'll bet your kangaroos haven't done that.
theluckycountry wrote:The LEAF was a waste of time too, as was the Pre-arse, none of them have measured up simply because of the economics and physical characteristics of batteries.

Except for being far superior to the one you just lauded...except it was built local to your neck of the Third World woods.
theluckycountry wrote:I love SciFi as much as the next person but I don't let it interfere with my grasp on reality.

Good thing my EVs are quite realistic, and just with me have a combined 12 years of service between them. You enjoy your kangaroos.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology