Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Enshittification courtesy of Amazon

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Enshittification courtesy of Amazon

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 15 Jun 2023, 09:31:20

An excellent article on how resellers, in this case Amazon, morph from a customer based model, to a supplier based model, to one where the entire experience is designed just to siphon the maximum amount of money away from everyone.

Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die.

I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a "two sided market," where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, holding each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them.
Link.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Enshittification courtesy of Amazon

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Wed 03 Jan 2024, 10:48:42

AdamB wrote:An excellent article on how resellers, in this case Amazon, morph from a customer based model, to a supplier based model, to one where the entire experience is designed just to siphon the maximum amount of money away from everyone.

Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die.

I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a "two sided market," where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, holding each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them.
Link.

As a Canadian, I have a pretty positive image of Amazon. The selection of goods available from Canadian suppliers has always been significantly smaller than what was available from US suppliers. Ordering from a US supplier quite often involved high shipping costs and customs handling fees. In some cases, a US supplier would not be willing to ship to Canada thus requiring use of a third party to provide a US address and additional fees to reship the item to Canada. Amazon provides us with a vast array of products with low shipping cost and no customs handling fees.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 03 Jan 2024, 21:14:01

That's how businesses work.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 04 Jan 2024, 08:53:44

We spend significant amounts of time outside the US, in Canada and the Caribbean. One comes to appreciate Amazon. In Canada I drive 40 miles to a supermarket or a small Walmart. The Aalmart has very limited stock. Amazon next day delivery is somewhere between 3 days and 2 weeks. FexEd overnight has taken 10 days and that required me to drive 40 miles to meet the driver.

There is no Amazon in the Caribbean, something as simple as clear Gorilla tape is not to be found. Stuff in Antigua is 2x the cost of St Martin because Antigua has no income tax, it's income is all VAT.

In the states I can live in a tiny remote cabin, on a dirt road, 30 miles from a big Walmart and have a huge selection delivered within 3 days.

Think of the gas this saves. One guy makes delivers for a hundred or more people.

The other way to look at Amazon is that it is a monopoly, there is no other significant supplier of the same service. That service being convenient and timely delivery of goods through an easily searchable platform. A monopoly will always tend to abuse.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion