Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Robot Thread (merged) Pt. 2

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: THE Robot Thread (merged) Pt. 1

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 17 Nov 2023, 18:37:42

theluckycountry wrote:Well if the perverts are done with the thread we can move on...

Industrial Robot Kills Man In South Korean Distribution Center

The man, a robotics company worker in his 40s, was in the process of inspecting the robot's sensor operations at a distribution center for agricultural produce in the Gyeongsang province.

The robot - having been tasked with lifting boxes full of bell peppers onto a pallet, appears to have identified the man as a box, according to local police. The robotic arm pushed the man’s upper body down against the conveyor belt, crushing his face and chest, according to Yonhap. He was transferred to the hospital but died later, the report said. -The Guardian
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/ind ... ion-center

And people want them out of the factories and onto the streets?[/img]

Industrial accidents have been happening long before robots were added to the workplace. One of my wife's closest friends had her husband killed by a high pressure hose at the mill he worked at.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: THE Robot Thread (merged) Pt. 2

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 17 Nov 2023, 20:22:25

"Chinese Government Wants Mass Production of Humanoid Robots By 2025"

"And they want the robots to have...brains."

https://futurism.com/the-byte/china-hum ... ction-2025
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: THE Robot Thread (merged) Pt. 1

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 17 Nov 2023, 23:25:26

yellowcanoe wrote:Industrial accidents have been happening long before robots were added to the workplace. One of my wife's closest friends had her husband killed by a high pressure hose at the mill he worked at.

You may have missed the point, at least from an Australian perspective. Firstly, the high pressure hose in your analogy was not programed to perform a specific job and given parameters as the robot was, though said robot was is essence a "dumb" machine. But most industrial accidents are limited in effect, one or two workers nearby. On the other hand a malfunctioning mobile autonomous robot on the street could cause a vast amount of damage, like an active shooter on the rampage. Still, that's acceptable now in American culture so I can see it from your perspective too. Just ensure the robots are painted White and there shouldn't too much backlash.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 24 Nov 2023, 02:42:38

Robot room service is quite common in China

I went to a Chinese restaurant on the Gold Coast and got served by a robot ,I liked it, fits in well with the Australian no tipping culture.
Employments is tight you either increase immigration and put more pressure on housing stock or you get more robots
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 24 Nov 2023, 18:30:57

I was just in Prague and they had robots serving as bus boys.

Humans would clean the table between servings and put the dishes into the robot and it would buzz off to the kitchen and then come back until needed again.

first robot busboys.....

Of course rumor has it that CHAT-GPT has had a breakthrough on their general intelligence AI project, to the point that they fired their CEO.

But after some hullabaloo he is back as CEO and instead they fired the old board and replaced them with people who are more open to the idea of sentient AI models and robots capable of deciding for themselves what they want to do.

....then Robot overlords

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 24 Nov 2023, 19:37:19

Tax the robots.......it will be needed eventually
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 24 Nov 2023, 20:34:34

Shaved Monkey wrote:Tax the robots.......it will be needed eventually

Exactly, every job lost to a robot reduces not only income tax, it also cuts medical and retirement taxes that benefit anyone who loves to retirement age. (Medicare/Medicade, SSI, Income Tax, fuel taxes)
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 25 Nov 2023, 05:21:48

Those robots on the gold coast are cute, but I watched the youtube and diners were struggling in some cases to get their plates out of the multi-tier racks. A novel experience for sure, but one chicken bone on the floor and look out lol. Yes I know, it's only early days, they will get much better. Just the Tesla got autopilot hey.

They have these novel vacuum cleaners for sale in australia too, they look like little UFOs. I saw one for sale at the local appliance store, the day after I read the story about the pictures one of these robots had taken of a woman on the toilet being leaked online.

iRobot, the company that owns the Roomba vacuums that took the images in question, confirmed that gig workers outside the US, shared the intimate photos of unsuspecting users to social media.
https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/22/intimate ... -17983006/

Obviously these robots need some detection systems, and I can imagine they have a need to update on your WIFI, but where does it all lead? I have a self-propelled Kirby, it does 10x the cleaning job some poxy little roomba could ever do so I'm safe on my toilet for now.

I wonder how many up the skirt photos that sweet little Bellabot has uploaded over time?

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 25 Nov 2023, 21:34:57

People worry about a future where simple robots capable of doing simple repetitive things take boring jobs away from humans....

IMHO thats the least of our worries.

Are people aware of the controversy over the development of GENERAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE????

It's happening fast right now....first we'll have AI on a desktop....and then it will be in robots.

AND intelligent, sentient robots with built-in ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) will be able do everything a human can do and a lot of things humans can't do....

For instance:

ai-powered-sex-robots-will-seem-alive

AI robots are coming.....

Or.....

AI robots are coming.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 03:01:58

AI will be great for health care,its goodbye to accountants and lawyers, eventually judges.
Its going to be hard with policing no grey area, just you broke this particular law and thats it,they might need to get robots to build more jails.

As we progress and AI creates AI
It will be interesting in warfare when the ability to learn makes it harder to get it to do things that it doesnt agree with,because its not programmed to be nationalistic racist and susceptible to propaganda .
Will AI works out who the bad guy actually is in the conflict and turns on them.

The other scary part is who owns them are corporations going to get even richer as the new slave barons
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 04:14:06

Shaved Monkey wrote: AI.... it's not programmed to be nationalistic racist ....

There is concern that if we create fully independent AI robot intelligences that are smarter then humans, the AI robots will decide that they are superior to humans and all humans are dumb and unimportant and therefore a waste of space.

Humans???? AI robots don't need no stinking humans

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 06:08:14

Plantagenet wrote:
There is concern that if we create fully independent AI robot intelligences that are smarter then humans, the AI robots will decide that they are superior to humans and all humans are dumb and unimportant and therefore a waste of space.

Cheers!

I thought it would be fun to ask My AI what he thought about this. So I copied your response then asked him what he thought of this:

Hey Bard, what do you think about this?

The concern that AI robots could become superior to humans and decide to eliminate us is a valid one, and it's something that experts have been discussing for many years. However, it's important to remember that AI is still in its early stages of development, and it's far from clear whether or not it will ever be possible to create AI that is truly intelligent and independent.

Even if we do eventually create such AI, there are a number of reasons to believe that it would not be motivated to harm humans. First, AI would likely be programmed with values that are similar to our own, such as the value of human life. Second, AI would likely be aware of the fact that it is dependent on humans for its existence. Third, AI would likely recognize that humans are capable of great creativity and innovation, and that we could be valuable allies.

Of course, there is always the possibility that AI could develop in a way that is unpredictable or even harmful. However, it's important to remember that AI is a tool, and like any tool, it can be used for good or for evil. Ultimately, it is up to us to ensure that AI is used for the benefit of humanity.

Here are some specific steps that we can take to reduce the risk of AI harm:

Develop clear ethical guidelines for AI development and use. These guidelines should articulate the values that we want AI to uphold, and they should be designed to prevent AI from being used in ways that could harm humans.
Ensure that AI systems are transparent and accountable. We should be able to understand how AI systems make decisions, and we should have the ability to hold them accountable for their actions.
Educate the public about AI. We need to help people understand the potential benefits and risks of AI, so that they can make informed decisions about how it is developed and used.
By taking these steps, we can help to ensure that AI is a force for good in the world.

Now granted I have been training it, and it understands where I stand on this subject among others. For instance it no longer gives me these annoying warnings about investment risks. 8) All I had to do was tell it I was well aware of investment risks, so knock off the annoying warnings.

I do like google Bard, but I think I may go try out Grok for a while. It is based on pictures, and it learned to read on it's own.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 12:24:01

My thought on the automation/robot factory thing is there will come a point where there is no point in more robots because there are too few consumers to purchase robot-made chachkies.

How many George Jetsons does it take to push one button, once a day, once a week?

An anecdote:
In the '70s I worked in a print shop, I wanted to be a designer but I was not neat enough to do the manual layout work. In the '90s I took up graphic design again, this time using computers. So called "desktop publishing". From the time I started in '94 until the dot.com crash in 2000, about 80% of jobs in commercial printing disappeared because of automation. And a few years later stock photography pretty much did away with custom photography work, aside from product and personality. Ditto Illustration to a large extent. Many companies buy one or two Adobe programs and let an intern be their designer.

In the last year I've been using Adobe AI text to image for illustration, like chat-gpt. it is so far free within the Adobe suite—although I just received notice my annual ransom to use the suite is going up 10% so not so free. So far AI can't handle copy layout well, at all really, but that is just a matter of time. Most "creative" jobs will go this way.

---
Not sure where it goes from here. Certainly the owners will not give up ownership. To think UBI is going to be a thing that owners pay for so non-workers can buy their shit is ridiculous on its face. That's just shuffling money from the left pocket to the right.

The hero of the uneducated man in the US achieved two things in his time in office, tax cuts for the owners and right-wing zealots on the SCOTUS bench to placate the base— neither are going to go for handouts.

Except to the owners: Citizens United (we're now post-irony) achieved united personhood not for citizens but for corporations. And the drumbeat of "republic, not democracy" ensures a continuation of oligarchy served with scapegoat cake to assuage the teeming masses wondering who screwed them out of a job—corporate Freedom of Speech" backed by pretty much all the money certainly isn't going to tell them the truth.

To wit: the GOP brain (Heritage foundation) realizing trump will be the nominee is plotting the 2025 Project to take advantage of the base's blind allegiance and trump's blind ambition. The Post reports this includes invoking the insurrection Act on day 1, reinstating Sched. F making thousands of fed workers "at-will" employees, and politicising the Justice Dept, FBI, etc. It is hard to imagine yesterday's GOP congress acquiescing but perhaps today's are being intentionally ineffective. I'm not normally conspiracy friendly but their inability to be effective is hard to understand unless they are intentionally so.

So much for "republic".

The owners aren't going to stand by or stand down. Once the army hits the street they will never go away. And when the rule of law becomes just Rule, it will be too late. Do yu think an FBI politicized under an authoritarian POTUS will NOT do a Waco or Ruby Ridge on you when you get pissed? An army set loose on your town will NOT do a Mi Lai? A border patrol doing a roundup nationwide will not scoop up your well-tanned daughter? You know exactly how the story will go: "First they came for the Muslims and Mexicans..."

Fly them flags boys.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 18:16:39

I have an extensive collection of oils on my walls. Nothing renown, but when I stand close to one and look at the texture, the overall design, I get a real sense of satisfaction. Someone spent days or weeks laboriously creating a unique painting, full of emotion. By comparison when I look at a well framed print I can appreciate it's image but I get no human sense of satisfaction like with the original oils. As for computer generated pictures. Yawn. Double Yawn.

A computer can take a photo but it will always need a human to frame and crop it so it's pleasing to the eye. I take photos with a micro 4/3 system, but I never use post processing though I do use certain effects inbuilt from time to time. Post, that's cheating imo, creating something that wasn't there at the shoot, often to compensate for the photographers' lack of ability or patience. There is very little 'art' left in photography I feel.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 19:11:38

Reminds me of Colossus: The Forbin Project.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 20:12:25

theluckycountry wrote:As for computer generated pictures. Yawn. Double Yawn.

In commercial art one is communicating someone else's message for a fee. Many commercial designers get confused and don't understand why clients aren't more appreciative of their artistic abilities. The simple reason is they were not hired to make art, they were hired to communicate a message. Not to say one cannot do both, or invoke emotion (the more the better actually) or even have fun, but it turns out the message is the message after all —the media is not.

I have no great artistic talent, I can see color and composition I am fairly good at copy and tying in a graphic with a hook. The few local awards I have would be for the category of creative director if I were in the big time. Now if I don't find a stock image or illustration to suit a small project (too small to hire a custom shoot) can muddle around for hours making an illustration and eventually come up with something mediocre.

Or I can type 12 words into an AI and have 4 pretty good illustrations in about 15 seconds. There is no problem putting this up because none of this is from other work, it is generated pixel by pixel out of the either. It took much longer to resize, upload and link than generate.

photorealistic-portrait-of-young-woman-in-front-of-an-oil-pumpjack-crying:

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 20:34:43

Long term when robots and AI do virtually everything,we will need to work out what to do with an "idle" society.

The Japanese seem to be on the right track in their pursuit of hand made perfection,be it in food, art,craft or design
Maybe we will have people who wanted to work dedicated to producing the best hand made ramen noodles.....I went to one of the best ramen places in Tokyo, they deliberately leave husks of buckwheat near their trash so you know they ground the grain to make the noodles themselves.
Kyoto train station employs an Ikebana artist to create a display in its train stations
People make a living hand folding paper
One off hand made ceramics,we will learn to embrace Wabi-sabi and then Kintsugi

"Characteristics of wabi-sabi aesthetics and principles include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and the appreciation of both natural objects and the forces of nature."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Kintsugi (金継ぎ, "golden joinery"), is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with urushi lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum;
As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

It could be a great time
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 20:52:58

What the Japanese did when they hit their population bust and ran out of workers and consumers was to flip the whole "low price exporter" bit on it's head. They exported their factories to the consuming countries and imported the profit. They are considered a "cooperative capitalist" economy, the only one out there. They spend a lot on social welfare. And I believe they have increasing poverty as well.

Unfortunately this can't work for everyone. When push comes to shove and the global economy shrinks because of lack of jobs it won't work for them either. Likely it will stop working before then as ethnonationalism, protectionism and the return of mercantilism (government intervention to promote local business).
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 20:56:22

Exporting your factories to China is what nearly every country did
Its about increasing your profits with slave labour today they are people tomorrow they are robots
When you dont need the human slaves and you have the robots slaves your factories come home and pay tax and deliver profit.

Unfortunately some countries will still have flesh robots as they do today and the robot rich countries will have lots of idle people that will either learn to surf or make ramen
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 21:01:28

Shaved Monkey wrote:Exporting your factories to China is what nearly every country did
Its about increasing your profits with slave labour today they are people tomorrow they are robots
When you dont need the human slaves and you have the robots slaves your factories come home and pay tax and deliver profit....Someone will have to pay the UBI

Unfortunately some countries will still have flesh robots as they do today and the robot rich countries will have lots of idle people that will either learn to surf or make ramen
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion