Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Robot Thread (merged) Pt. 2

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: THE Robot Thread (merged) Pt. 2

Unread postby Pops » Mon 27 Nov 2023, 21:24:58

But that's not what Japan did, they exported their factories to the countries where they sold.

Japan's four largest car manufacturers operate 11 factories in the US. Toyota is present in Kentucky, Indiana, Texas and Mississippi. Honda builds cars in Alabama, Indiana and two Ohio factories. Nissan runs factories in Mississippi and Tennessee, while hundreds of thousands of Subaru vehicles call Indiana home.

Google AI
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 28 Nov 2023, 03:58:40

Japan indeed exported it's manufacturing to north america and canada, but not all of it. Everything we buy here, from Toyotas to Yamaha to Fujitsu air conditioners and batteries, Mitsubishi electrics, my Honda gen set and lawn mower, it is all manufactured in Japan. It makes sense when you think about it, the north american market is huge and who knows what tariffs were imposed so Japanese firms simply set up facilities there. Now whether the cars etc are made from imported parts, that's another matter.

Scotty Kilmer 5.99M subscribers, a youtube auto mechanic, explains how the Toyota Corolla hybrid sold in the US is actually 100% Japanese built. Other Toyotas were built in in all three countries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUG44ob1WXg

I believe Australia makes (assembles) the Toyota Camry. Not a car I'd buy. A woman's car.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 03 Dec 2023, 22:05:35

theluckycountry wrote:I believe Australia makes (assembles) the Toyota Camry. Not a car I'd buy. A woman's car.

Not anymore but they still own the factory for research and development mainly on Hydrogen

They did make hybrid toyotas there and most of the other stuff went to the Middle East (right hand drive)

TOKYO -- From Nintendo to Uniqlo operator Fast Retailing, Japanese companies have long established a supply chain centered on China, with many of the finished products exported to the U.S.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-w ... -footprint
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 04 Dec 2023, 00:52:53

Yes you have to be careful of the Jap stuff with offshore components. eneloop were off-shored, but the Fujitsu ones come put of the same original factory, the Japs just sold the Brand. Fujitsu costs more of course.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/thre ... an.135178/

Aussie shops are full of BBQ's, most will rust in about 2 years. I did some research and found that Ziegler & Brown, a German made BBQ, are the real deal. I bought a little Ziggy , $300 back years ago. It lives out on the deck uncovered, rain, sunshine in the morning, no rust, cleans up easily. The SS burner ring and components are marine grade of better, the grill plates vitreous enamelled cast iron. You get what you pay for.

Why don't all Australians buy this sort of quality? Because they are lazy and stupid. They'll buy whatever the TV tells them to buy. They'll buy this cheap Nexgrill 6 burner (Chinese no doubt) and in 3 years it will out on the curbside cleanup (false economy). An equivalent Ziggler and Brown would cost 2 or 3 times that but last forever.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 04 Dec 2023, 20:08:01

theluckycountry wrote:
Aussie shops are full of BBQ's, most will rust in about 2 years.

Get a Green Egg ceramic charcoal BBQ. Lasts forever and produces a better tasting meat than any propane bbq. Since ceramic is a good insulator it works better in cold weather than any propane bbq. I'll be able to bbq our Christmas turkey even if it is -20C out.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 05 Dec 2023, 00:50:54

What about a robot BBQ?
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 06 Dec 2023, 20:03:17

lol. My brother would kill for that! Big SW fan. Is it homemade?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jato0072 » Thu 07 Dec 2023, 21:19:19

"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 07 Dec 2023, 22:20:52